4" perf plate advice part3

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

4" perf plate advice part3

Postby bt1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:36 pm

Hello all,

What's your view of how far the top of the down comers sit above each plate...realise it will impact on reflux so would like to get it right...looks to be 1.5 or 2cm from posts?

Diameter of down comers 3/4" looks about right?

what do you guys use to power a 4" 6 plate perf plate I'm on gas wondering if high pressure regulators are the go?

Read plate spacing should be over square so >4" between plates. Can this be less?

Looking at a clean whisky/ Irish lighter style thinking 6 plate should do it but have read EG's comment suggesting 7/8 plates?

all quality advice welcome
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: 4" perf plate advice part3

Postby Kimbo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:38 pm

bt1 wrote:Hello all,

What's your view of how far the top of the down comers sit above each plate...realise it will impact on reflux so would like to get it right...looks to be 1.5 or 2cm from posts?I have tried a couple of different heights, i find that 20-25mm works best on my rig

Diameter of down comers 3/4" looks about right? That's what I've got

what do you guys use to power a 4" 6 plate perf plate I'm on gas wondering if high pressure regulators are the go?I use Natural Gas

Read plate spacing should be over square so >4" between plates. Can this be less?Yes it can

Looking at a clean whisky/ Irish lighter style thinking 6 plate should do it but have read EG's comment suggesting 7/8 plates?

all quality advice welcomeThe more plates, the less flavour, maybe go modular or semi modular so you can add or subtract plates
bt1
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Re: 4" perf plate advice part3

Postby emptyglass » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:21 pm

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, but you possibly won't want 7/8 plates. 3 will do at a minimum for flavored style drinks, 5 will clean it up nice. More is not nescasarily better, unless you want neutral. You can always make a column that can take the plates that you need, then just remove them from the tree if you want to.

If I could, I'd go electric, but gas works well. An adjustable reg is nice, helps heat input consistancy.
emptyglass

Return to Plated Column Stills