Drilling copper

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Drilling copper

Postby bt1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:45 pm

KK, I know you'll tell me but...

I get a great deal of pleasure from builds, most of us do...it truly rewards once done ...I'm learning the art of gently does it and enjoying the process...metal work is a pure relaxation for me.

But without a drill press drilling 160+ holes in 4" plates is pain in the arm/shoulder/back/wallet.

So it's hand drill territory until i can lash out out on a decent old school/solid variable speed drill press.

I started resenting the fact I didn't plan to get a press organised but I've had several mellow hours of doing 2 plates at a time...drill 25 ..drink one... drill 25 drink one..and the CD's I've dragged out and enjoyed!

Simple pleasures well enjoyed...could only encourage the metal work skill challenged folk like me to have a go...You might just enjoy it!

A contented
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: Drilling copper

Postby SBB » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:40 pm

I think youve hit the nail on the head BT dont rush it, there are a gazzilon of those pissy little holes to drill, I did mine one plate at a time, Turn up the good music and have a drink at hand, enjoy the experience, your only gunna do this once.
I found that after drilling you can end up with a burr on the reverse side of the plate, I filed this off , then drilled them from the burred side again to get the holes really clean, More drinks and more music. :D
Good to see someone doing it the back to basics way :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby emptyglass » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 am

Good thing is, you can't hear the Mrs or kids with a drill press running.

Here lies the true salvation.
emptyglass

Postby bt1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:37 am

I now see the value in a drill press! :D

bt1
bt1

Postby Kimbo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:02 am

The simple things in life are often the best ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Goldie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:28 pm

+1 bt1

I have learnt the same thing making easy flanges. It's so much more satisfying looking at the finished piece and knowing you created it. Not everyone has the time to allocate to these builds but I urge people thinking about it to make the time for it and have a crack.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby bt1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:28 pm

More drilling...another two plates have been given purpose...

Glad I'm not doing a 10+ plater otherwise the pub would run out of Tullimore Dew.

bt1
bt1

Postby emptyglass » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:14 pm

Goldie wrote:+1 bt1

I have learnt the same thing making easy flanges. It's so much more satisfying looking at the finished piece and knowing you created it. Not everyone has the time to allocate to these builds but I urge people thinking about it to make the time for it and have a crack.

I'f the mrs and kids leave you alone while the drill press is running, they will surley leave you alone making easy flanges.

Ahhh, the serenity...
emptyglass

Return to Plated Column Stills