build doc

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: build doc

Postby tickle » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:55 pm

Interesting...no its not hot at all. The water out of the precondenser is warm, that thig is the nuts; but the product condensor isn't picking up temp at all, the flow rate is tremendous. On gas I'm not sure how to estimate the power usage though. Ill shoot some vids tonight.

Thanks bro
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby MacStill » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:59 pm

I'd say everything is fine, I get the odd bit of fog puffing from my shotgun at times :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Alcohol vapor is invisible ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:07 pm

I get that too, especially when running a molasses wash.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby tickle » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:13 pm

Cool....never considered it could be actual steam. Where does it come from? Water boiling out of the vapor as it passes through the condensor? Having a hard time visualling it? May build anoother condenser for giggles, but I would have thought this was big enough to handle a shitload. But if its good, its good, ill vid some of the run tonight for reference.

Thanks again guys ^:)^
tickle

Postby tickle » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:16 pm

McStill wrote:I'd say everything is fine, I get the odd bit of fog puffing from my shotgun at times :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Alcohol vapor is invisible ;-)

Good call

And kimbo, spot on, it was a brown sugar wash!

On the Bourbon wash no puffing, high speed take off,was magical. The dumb ass running it(me) made cuts like a potstiller,tossed way too much as fores and "heads",ended up with much less product than I should have :angry-banghead:
I'll do better next time!
tickle

Postby emptyglass » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:07 pm

I cant help you mate, I run perforated plates. They don't suffer that effect.

I can say in an aid to the problem you are taliking about, I tried drilling a weep hole in the bottom j trap. It was a mess. Made things run like crap. All from a 1mm hole.

You might just have to tip your still upside down after a run.

Ahh, the joys of bubble caps...
emptyglass

Postby tickle » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:56 pm

I hear that, the draining feature of the plates is great. But, you did help, after watching your vids again I just steamed it off like you did,worked pretty well. Steamed it till almost no water left. Starting a build for my brother shortly, plates will be perf on that badboy. Getting into it,to br honest, was planning on perf tor this one, but all I could find loaclly for ss rod was magnetic, made me nervous about having it in the still. Since come up with an all copper method, so should be game on.
tickle

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:22 pm

tickle wrote:question re product condenser....mine is a 2" tube with 3 1/2" tubes in it, 18" long. not happy with its performance, i'm seeing steam huff out at btu rates i thought it would have kept up with....too small? something else im missing? what is the norm for a 4
' bubbler? :think:

Whats the ambient temp where you are running? Sometimes I get worried seeing "vapour" but its just that the distillate is a little warmer than the ambient :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby tickle » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:42 am

Gas on wrote:Its a great feeling getting your first bubbler off & running! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Nice work there tickle :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That avatar could very well be the funniest! Too much sampling tonight and I may try to reinact it...just gotta steal me a moped,I have a pylon...and a fatass :laughing-rolling:
tickle

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills