Plate disabling system

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Plate disabling system

Postby bt1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:22 pm

kk, Have asked before and got a definite not worth the trouble ...but..

i got this vision of a single col with plate disabling to boiler or return to next plate rather than F'ing about with modular sections with a couple of plates in it

Does a 4 plater make a distinct diferent drop to a 6 plater with 2 plates feeding back... Should the return be to the next lower plate or back to boiler Thoughts?

Also this crow & EG volcanic rock section which I'm defintely going to do...reckon best just under product deph i.e. above plates as distinct from "drowning" it at the base of the col?

So fair game...open up the thinking and fire a post back...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: Plate disabling system

Postby googe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:31 pm

I have no idea on this earth what the hell your own about :)) but sounds interesting and will be keeping an eye on learning what your on about.
googe

Postby crow » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:34 pm

probably best if EG, Mac or OD chimes in here but what I can say is reading over on HD it seems to me that guys that placed packing(scubbers and spp)underneath ended up with a whole bunch of issues from flooded packing to it not rectifying (vapor passing straight through) and this stands to reason I think with trays between the deflag and the packing. weather this strata would work any better or not I don't know but I'd have my doubts
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:43 pm

googe wrote:I have no idea on this earth what the hell your own about :)) but sounds interesting and will be keeping an eye on learning what your on about.

:laughing-rolling: :text-imwithstupid: :laughing-rolling:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Kimbo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:12 pm

Ok, here goes, correct me if im wrong.
a 6 plater with 2 plates bypassed is just a 4 plater.
I ran a 4 plater with a 400mm packed section between the top plate and the Dephlagmator and made a very good neutral.
that way you are refluxing a rectified/ high ABV spirit not the other way around. ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Return to Plated Column Stills