Tassies 4" Reflux Bubbler

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Tassies 4" Reflux Bubbler

Postby TassieStiller » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:27 pm

OK, it is about time I posted a few pics of my setup. I am only a learner, but with the research I was doing, I decided to go all the way and get the good stuff first. I started looking at a T500, but quickly looked beyond that and as luck would have it, Empty Glass was selling one of his custom made stills. After a few emails to and from, I decided this is what I want and it was soon on its way to its new owner :D

Having only just started, I had (and still have) a steep learning curve and a fairly expensive initial setup. All wort it though as once I am set up, it will all be top quality stuff that I wont have to replace. Before long, I had a very well packed parcel (2 actually) waiting for me at the post office. I eagerly picked it up and put it together, which was quite simple. Below is the first pic of my new baby the afternoon it arrived
IMG_0935.JPG

The boiler. 2" ferrule removed and 4" in its place. A 3" sightglass to see what's going on and will be used as a fill port. I have a 3" extention coming so it can be clamped down with sight glass on that permanently, then a quick release for filling.
Still-13.jpg

Closer look with column on
Still-7.jpg

Still-2.jpg

Temperature Port
Still-10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Re: Tassies 4" Reflux Bubbler

Postby TassieStiller » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Element Port
Still-11.jpg

Element from Romar, cable hard soldered on as crimp seemed a bit inadequate for the stresses involved. Element Guard attached as well with cable breakout shroud
Still-8.jpg

Thermocouple - I have one in the boiler and one in the Column
Still-9.jpg

Element and thermocouple attached to the boiler
Still-5.jpg

Thermocouple in the column
Still-4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass

Postby TassieStiller » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Altered Cooling Management from original. I can adjust cooling in both condensers independently. I have kept the original 3 way valve in case my plan goes awry and I need to reinstate it
Still-3.jpg

Still-12.jpg

Nice elegant and clean look from the front with part of the keg cut away (an idea borrowed from Empty Glass)
Still-2.jpg

Finally, a nice front on pic of it all put together
You can see at the end of the cooling tubes, I have two temperature monitors. One for Dephlem and one for condenser, along with valves on the output of each to control flow
Still-1.jpg

I am really looking forward to experimenting with some Bourbon, Rum and Whisky. Starting with a TPW as it is pretty cheap and a good way to learn how to operate the still.

A big thankyou has to go out to Empty Glass for constructing such a great looking piece of kit and providing great instructions, both paper based and vid based. I am sure I will be thanking once I have product running through it. Also thanks to chocoholic for his assistance in getting me up to my current level of knowledge. I hound him a bit with questions Thanks guys

:text-thankyoublue:
TassieStiller

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Nothing like hand crafted copper, simply stunning :clap: :clap: :clap:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:53 pm

Noice mate, very noice :mrgreen:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby TassieStiller » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 pm

True with the hand crafted copper McStill.

I love the look of it. Would set it off nicely with a nice big copper boiler underneath it :)

Cost at the moment I think is a but much though. One day maybe :think:
TassieStiller

Postby googe » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:57 am

very nice mate, beautiful pics!!, thats a work of art!!.
googe

Postby crow » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:06 am

that's a serious nice looking still you got there, just can not beat the quality of hand crafted copper :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Goldie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:40 am

Great rig mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby punchy21 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:01 am

Very nice
:clap:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:05 am

WTF first photo [as it arrived shows tri clamp site glass all the others they are screwed on ]
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby crow » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:09 am

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:WTF first photo [as it arrived shows tri clamp site glass all the others they are screwed on ]

I'm guessing that the owner changed them (some ppl like the porthole look)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:11 am

croweater wrote:
Aussiedownunder01 wrote:WTF first photo [as it arrived shows tri clamp site glass all the others they are screwed on ]

I'm guessing that the owner changed them

Why would you tri clamps look cool
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:15 am

Very sweet Tassie :handgestures-thumbupleft: And a great job EG :handgestures-thumbupleft: Mate,you won't be sorry,I started off with a 4" bubbler,courtesy of Mac,and have never looked back :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
They may seem a bit daunting at first,all those windows and hoses,but once she's up to operating temp just take her nice and steady,don't try and push her too hard.After 2 or 3 runs,you'll be driving her like a pro :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cheers
CC
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby emptyglass » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:47 am

croweater wrote:

I'm guessing that the owner changed them (some ppl like the porthole look)

It was supplied with triclamps, I hope the sight glass kits hold up ok.

Tassie, it looks like you have some automation planned....
As I said, if you strike trouble, give me a yell. I think you'll be kicking goals soon.
emptyglass

Postby JayD » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:49 am

very nice unit, Congrats and enjoy....remember "if you cant be good, be good at it" we might bump into each other as I travel around Tas on my tours. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby TassieStiller » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Next little stage complete.
I have completed the build of my automatic voltage controller.

Instead of the most often used circuit where a pot is adjusted via an SSR, I have used a PID temperature controller, with temperature sourced from both the column and boiler. I have used two PID's and control is switched between them via a 3 way switch. LED's illiminate to indicate which PID is controlling the power flow. I didn't want to take the supply off the PID as such as it will be interesting (however, not really useful) to see the temperature of both boiler and column. I also have temperature sensors in the coolant outflows, both Deflag and condenser - just because I could :-B
It has a push button start, or "energisation" button and an emergency stop button which is latched. These are low current rated switches, so I had to connect them to the higher power part of the box via a relay (bottom right in the last photo)

Now, all I have to do is decipher the Chinglish instructions provided from the PID manafacturer (Sestos D1S) so I can get it programmed to reduce power once it gets to my set temperature. With the googling I have been doing, it may take a little while.

The wiring took a bit to work out, but after about 10 separate wiring diagram plans, I got it nailed and it worked first time :o .

I am pretty happy with it, however, the 1m long thermocouples are not quite long enough, so I will be ordering 1.5m long ones to allow a bit of extra room.

Box powered up, switch in the centre position which means no flow of power to the element
IMG_1296.jpg

Switch in position 1, say for the boiler temperature control
IMG_1297.jpg

Switch in position 2, say for the column temperature control
IMG_1298.jpg

The box opened up to see the wiring work done
IMG_1299.jpg

I have put test lugs on the back of the box to take the incoming sensor inputs from the four thermocouples to allow for nice, easy, and quick assemble/disassembly. That part was not pictured quite so well though
TassieStiller

Return to Plated Column Stills