inline thumper on a 4"column

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

inline thumper on a 4"column

Postby BIG D » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:50 pm

I know a few of you boys run an inline 6"thumper or plate for a better word on a 4" bubbler wondering what the increase in power requirements vs output per hr is?
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Re: inline thumper on a 4"column

Postby Kimbo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:57 pm

Ive never done the power comparison mate, I know i do use a little more..only coz the thumper allows me to run a little harder.
As for the output, I would guess at 1-2L/Hr increase :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby BIG D » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:01 pm

Thanks Kimbo I'm just looking for that bit more . :text-lol:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby bayshine » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:13 pm

iv found on my setup i need one 2400w element flat out and the other at about 150v on the controller :handgestures-thumbupleft:
but this is giving me about 3-3.5l an hour and I'm pretty sure I'm also getting a larger heart cut as i believe it helps to hold the tails back
next I'm going to play with the bath depth as i read that true thumpers hold a lot more liquid than just a bubble cap plate :think:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:17 pm

if you go back through my builds here to the original dragon slayer you might find a fair bit more about it, I had an 8" thumper as my bottom plate, I'm on the ipad and havnt learnt to link and stuff yet so a quick search should find it.

with good run strategy you'll find not only an increas in speed but also with such a large plate on the bottom it'll be holding a lot more of the lower alcohols in the bottom of the still helping to compress the tails cut even further.

this ipads starting to give me the shits, apologies for the gramma 8-}
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby BIG D » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:10 pm

I guess now what is the most cost effective way tò build that thumper Mac chime in please ;-)
BIG D

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:17 pm

Do you want to build it yourself, or using FSD parts ?

Your answer will determine my response ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby BIG D » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Fsd parts mac sorry for being vague but if it ain't broke don't fix it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:21 pm

Righto!

Let me sleep on it mate, I'll see what I can come up with........ might even have another plate in the shed the same as 1 2's in 6"
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby whiskeyshiner » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:00 pm

MacStill wrote:with good run strategy you'll find not only an increas in speed but also with such a large plate on the bottom it'll be holding a lot more of the lower alcohols in the bottom of the still helping to compress the tails cut even further.

Kimbo wrote:Ive never done the power comparison mate, I know i do use a little more..only coz the thumper allows me to run a little harder.
As for the output, I would guess at 1-2L/Hr increase :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hi guys i think i may have ask you some questions about thumpers so sorry for being a bit slow. I'm just entrigued how you guys have mentioned a few times about a run strategy to get faster runs times. Is it as simple as more heat can be thrown in with a thumper on top of a pot or bubbler and it'll drive itself or do you say run stategy because its a complicated process and you might confuse people if you explained it and they attempt it without proper understanding?

MacStill wrote:if you go back through my builds here to the original dragon slayer you might find a fair bit more about it, I had an 8" thumper as my bottom plate

I'm just interested with all this bling 5 star gear you have lying around why do you personally not use a thumper anymore? All I see is positives to them but with your knowledge and experience and access to gear I would of thought there would be a reason you dont bother with them anymore?

Sorry for the newb style question I'm just intrigued with these thumpers and have been thinking i might build one for my pot for a long time.
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby bayshine » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:17 am

ill leave this one to the experts as I'm just playing and learning :D
but you can hold or build up all of your distillate in the thumper,(no longer in the boiler) and when you think you have all the hearts in your thumper you can bleed them off really fast,giving a faster run :-B
there would also probably be other run strategies
just more toys for me to play with really :))
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:29 am

Bayshine is on the right track almost, I'll respond more in detail tomorrow as I really should knock off for the night..... I have a different thumper to take care of soon :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:24 pm

I'm just interested with all this bling 5 star gear you have lying around why do you personally not use a thumper anymore? All I see is positives to them but with your knowledge and experience and access to gear I would of thought there would be a reason you dont bother with them anymore?

Basically the reason is I'm not looking for extra speed or improvement of my product as I'm very happy using my 6" Pacemaker as is, I can run conservatively with an output of over 4.5 L/PH @ 93%, and as it's a hobby still I think anything more is just plain greedy and unnecessary ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Kimbo wrote:I would guess at 1-2L/Hr increase :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Wow that's a huge increase!

I would think power input would be the same and you would have to adjust flow to the RC only :think:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Kimbo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:37 pm

whiskeyshiner wrote:
Hi guys i think i may have ask you some questions about thumpers so sorry for being a bit slow. I'm just entrigued how you guys have mentioned a few times about a run strategy to get faster runs times. Is it as simple as more heat can be thrown in with a thumper on top of a pot or bubbler and it'll drive itself or do you say run stategy because its a complicated process and you might confuse people if you explained it and they attempt it without proper understanding?

)

Hi WS, it comes down to a few things.
1.larger diameter column will allow greater output ( allowing more power)
2.if the thumper is set up correctly, the still can hold the complete distillate instead of letting it go back into the boiler.
3. once this is achieved, you can almost turn your Dephlag completely off ( almost like a potstill). I leave mine in a bit to keep compressing the tails. this in itself will give a faster output.

once you have got a thumper on the bottom of your column, you will soon work out how to run it efficiently, ( Every still is different) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby BIG D » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:38 pm

I think I want 1. 8-}
BIG D

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:49 pm

Lets sort it by email hey mate, depending how you want to go I might have enough gear here to put one together.... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby BIG D » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

Postby whiskeyshiner » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09 pm

Kimbo wrote: Hi WS, it comes down to a few things.
1.larger diameter column will allow greater output ( allowing more power)
2.if the thumper is set up correctly, the still can hold the complete distillate instead of letting it go back into the boiler.
3. once this is achieved, you can almost turn your Dephlag completely off ( almost like a potstill). I leave mine in a bit to keep compressing the tails. this in itself will give a faster output.

once you have got a thumper on the bottom of your column, you will soon work out how to run it efficiently, ( Every still is different) :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Interesting thanks kimbo im gunna have to get one of these :D looks like i got more researching to do then :laughing-rolling:

MacStill wrote: Basically the reason is I'm not looking for extra speed or improvement of my product as I'm very happy using my 6" Pacemaker as is, I can run conservatively with an output of over 4.5 L/PH @ 93%, and as it's a hobby still I think anything more is just plain greedy and unnecessary ;-)

:whistle: 4.5l an hour i can see your point :)) thanks that answers my question so thumpers are still offer great advantages you just have a great system so you dont need one :handgestures-thumbupleft:
whiskeyshiner

Postby whiskeyshiner » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:45 am

Been doing a bit of resesrch on these things because i think they are really cool what i dont get is elsewhere ive read that a thumper should be 30% of you boilers size and macs and kimbos thumpers are 6" on top of 4" plated columns so i cant see how they can hold all the alcohol from a run because that would be say 5 l from a 50l keg charge. With downcomer would these just be a different type of plate because there would still be vapour returning to the boiler :think:
whiskeyshiner

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills