Welder advice

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Welder advice

Postby Sam. » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:11 pm

I know we have some absolute gun welders on here with a shit load of knowledge. I know a young fella that is starting his trade as fabricator in a small workshop and he doesn't have a great deal of guidance on this particular machine.

If anyone could give any insight on this particular TIG welder that would be awesome. I know it's a very broad and general question as it will always depend what your welding and thickness etc but any info would be appreciated.

Welder 1.jpg

welder 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: Welder advice

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:21 pm

G'day Sam,
From the small pic it does look like a HF Tig/ AC/DC arc welding machine with all the bells and whistles and if it doesn't have a user manual a trip to a welding shop should supply one and where starting out a good read is the way to go. Get your mate to have a look on you tube as some of the tig welding videos I've watched have used that same welder. There some great Aussie video's and I'm sure after that young guys watches a few he will soon get the hang of using it.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:08 pm

Hold on, I don’t know where this will go.

The centre black knob, is the main control, push it and the led will light up what system its operating. A general guide would be 1. Pre flow gas 2. Up slope 3. Start Current 4. Peak current 5. Arc force / balance 6. Down slope 7. Post gas flow.

Then you will have welding process selection, ARC (MMAW) DC TIG (GTAW) AC TIG (GTAW) AC for Aluminium. DC for pretty much everything else.
Then you will have start selection HF (press button or foot pedal) needed for AC. Or lift start (scratch the electrode on the job)
Then maybe 2T 4T. 2 touch (on/off momentary) or 4 touch (latch)

Don’t forget the “earth clamp” goes in the positive.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Postby Sam. » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:58 pm

This rig is just used for aluminium jobs, they mig everything else
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby CJCM45 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:13 pm

Gday mate,
WIA welders used to be a top notch welding machine, manufacturing in SA, Australia...I used to sell them.
Now everything comes from overseas, but a 200amp ACDC unit will join just about everything up to 6mm. Duty cycle is the key if he wants to use professionally. ie, weld all day
Most " multi purpose" units only push 30% duty, meaning you can weld flat out for 3 minutes out of ten minutes. Not a problem if it's stop/start.
It is a good unit!!
Hope your mate goes well!
Cheers
CJ
CJCM45

equipment: 50L SS keg reflux/pot still

Postby Shubh369 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:48 pm

CJCM45 wrote:Gday mate,
WIA welders used to be a top notch welding machine, manufacturing in SA, Australia...I used to sell them.
Now everything comes from overseas, but a 200amp ACDC unit will join just about everything up to 6mm. Duty cycle is the key if he wants to use professionally. ie, weld all day
Most " multi purpose" units only push 30% duty, meaning you can weld flat out for 3 minutes out of ten minutes. Not a problem if it's stop/start.
It is a good unit!!
Hope your mate goes well!
Cheers
CJ

What can use for 8mm welding.
Shubh369

equipment: 8 Gal Moonshine Still

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:31 pm

8mm what??? Steel, stainless, aluminuminuminum? MIG? TIG? Stick?

At the moment, I wouldn’t buy any welded other than a unimig, unless you are spending big $$$ and buying a Fronius and are willing to wait. Yes I know exactly what I’m taking about.

The Unimig 320amp AC/DC water cooled TIG will weld anything up to and including 20mm aluminium. I have done it. The only let down is it doesn’t go over 99 hertz, 200hz and it would be a Ferrari! Also at over 290 amps, expect to go through ceramic cups, I MELTED boxes of them!!!!

The 200 razor in TIG / Stick,is a full function machine and will easily weld 10mm anything, if you can weld.

MIG, same same, buy a 200 amp MIG and you will weld any STEEL you want, but don’t try and weld Aluminium with it, because you won’t.

If you want to MIG weld Aluminium, buy a Fronius TPS 320i, and expect to spend $8k and to wait as there is hardly any stock in the country.

I’m not a sales rep for a welding company anymore, I’m just the local postie!
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:19 pm

If you new to welding learning to arc weld first will give you the best start, once you can do a run using GP rods without any flux inclusions mover on to TC16 rods and you will never look back :handgestures-thumbupleft:

For me the i130 amp lincoln caddy which is also a scratch start tig is one robust welder and one can pick one up for less than $300 for the basic welder. for 2.5mm rods no more than 90 amps and with the 3.2mm rods depending on the job 100 to the max 130 amps. I have used mine all day using 2.5mm rods welding up the ovens for my wood stove restoration and the welder didn't over heat at all. I went thru just about a 2.5kg box and my shed battery went from being fully charged to needing a charge after the job.

8mm is a big weld to do in one shot with low budget welders so a 3 run weld may be the go to get the best strength.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Tips From The Workbench