Cutting Copper Tube

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Cutting Copper Tube

Postby Lesgold » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:38 pm

Hi Folks,

Not trying to show people how to suck eggs but I wanted to present a visual show and tell in relation to how I’ve been cutting the larger copper sections for my recent build. None of this is new and it does exist in many places on the forum. I just wanted to give a simple reference for some people who have limited fabricating experience or equipment to use. It is obvious that there is a huge range in workshop access that members have. Some people have extensive metalworking facilities with mills, lathes, benders welders etc, etc. Where as others have less than a corner of a garden shed to undertake a build with limited tools.

I personally would not be interested in this type of fabrication project without an angle grinder. I’ve seen many people talk about using a hacksaw and there is nothing wrong with that if that’s all you have. They can be very accurate if you are prepared to take your time. The problem with a hacksaw is that you also need a vice, cramps or another method of holding your copper in place. You can pick up an angle grinder for as little as $24 from the big green shed and a couple of bucks will get you a 1mm cutting disc that will last for ages if you are only cutting copper. Here’s how I cut my copper tube to length:

After filing or sanding the end of the tube so that it’s nice and square, I mark out the length of the copper that I need. A piece of paper with one straight edge is wrapped around the tube so that the overlapping wraps of paper line up. I then slide the paper up to the mark. This will ensure a square cut.
36E1C69D-249E-4E8C-8B91-11729BE74911.jpeg

A whiteboard marker can then follow the edge of the paper and mark the cut line. Touching the paper with the marker ensures that one side of the line is perfectly straight.
E58F90F7-1474-4540-81D3-2ACAC62BB0BA.jpeg

28E95A91-810D-4330-966D-4E0562148B5D.jpeg

The tubing to be cut is then placed on top of a woodworking vice with the jaws partially open. The pipe sits in place but is not cramped. A wooden jig will perform the same task and can be constructed from timber off cuts. Long lengths of tube will obviously need extra support.
5B3E821A-394A-48A0-B54E-E45EC1662683.jpeg

423F0946-9F91-4694-BCDD-339FB2B34FE1.jpeg

Cutting can now begin. Start an entry cut about .25mm from the edge of the line. (Sounds difficult but it is quite easy when using the 1mm blade) ensure that your other hand holds the tubing securely.
871C86BB-6D89-439B-A555-B7872919EB34.jpeg

Slowly rotate the pipe towards you and continue to cut the tube. Keep a close eye on the line.
2D4D4201-4FA0-4845-BE28-BDDD7558FC15.jpeg

If you are careful, the start and end of the cut will line up perfectly.
D3800227-F812-4477-BA6A-1257D957D191.jpeg

Continue cutting all the way around.
A0405012-2E54-4538-BE4C-E88E85574AAF.jpeg

Job done. A quick touch up and a bit of deburring and you are ready for the next task.

You will notice that the piece of copper in this case is quite short. I would not attempt this method on any tube where my hands could not be positioned safely away from the cutting disc. This is about as short a piece as I would cut this way. Don’t forget all your PPE when using the angle grinder. (Especially eye protection and ear muffs.) Hope this is of some help to a few of you. Enjoy your builds.

Cheers

Les
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Re: Cutting Copper Tube

Postby Lowie » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Excellent tutorial mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby navarau » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:33 pm

Mate that is an absolute awesome tutorial. You took a long time to compile and post it and I thought you would have got a lot more response and thanks than you have. I'll be using your info mate!
navarau

equipment: Nothing

Postby Lesgold » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. As l said in the post, many people already use this or a modification of the technique anyway. If it can help a few people who are interested in starting a build, I’m happy. I reckon it’s about time that I start giving back a little. Over the past six months I’ve asked a lot of questions and have been given some invaluable answers and support as a newbie to the hobbie. I’ll be learning heaps for years to come and will be annoying the wizards regularly for advice. I just think that it’s the right thing to do for members to contribute from time to time. That’s what makes this such a good community.

Cheers

Les
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby Rumblepants » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:30 pm

Thanks so much for posting. I used the technique last night when cutting some copper pipe for my condenser water jacket and it worked really well.
Rumblepants

equipment: 2inch CCVM 50L Keg Boiler

Postby Olliroo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:22 pm

Invaluable - thank you.
Olliroo

equipment: Nothing just yet, still at the pre purchase research stage.

Postby OzDistilling » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:52 pm

Using a grinder will contaminate the weld face with iron.

What industry uses. https://www.reece.com.au/product/tools- ... mm-7700140

Perfect true cuts everytime.
OzDistilling

equipment: Brewhaus

Postby scythe » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:24 am

Will they though?
I've always operated under the impression that grinders used aluminium oxide, alumina, zircon or ceramic grit to grind/cut...
Looking at the flexovit catalogue on page 14 they don't mention iron in their disc make up.
https://hpmvideo.saint-gobain.com/wsi-a ... ex.html#14

Having said that if you have access to a pipe cutter always go for that.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Wellsy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:30 am

It is what industry uses scythe so it must good.

I heard it said that cutting disk can be bad, some say very, some even say the most bad but that of course could be fake news
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Sam. » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:46 am

Wellsy wrote:It is what industry uses scythe so it must good.

I heard it said that cutting disk can be bad, some say very, some even say the most bad but that of course could be fake news

I think half the issue with grinders is people will start using a disc on mild steel end then go use it on staino etc and that’s no good for it
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby RC Al » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:04 am

The number of people on here who would/could weld ss to copper is very small, it's really not in the casual hobbyist's skill set unless they have some form of engineering background.

Can't see it making a huge difference to a soft solder join, cant say I've seen any soft soldered butt joins on a still, my hat is off to any one who can, but I would argue the structural integrity of it.

The tube cutters also leave a crushed in lip that has to be addressed, especially if your flaring afterwards.

Clean, Clean, Clean applies to the joins wether your soldering or welding in any case, if stainless is involved if goes up a notch. I generally just use the bakers flux as a cleaner if I'm in a hurry or a citric soak if I can plan ahead and get stuff cut and leave it for a while.

Fit is just as important, I freely admit to sucking at soldering copper to stainless ferrules, but the best joins I have are done with an interference fit, regular bought female fittings are a crapshoot to solder to and 1/2 the time I'm having to add an short tight fitting adapter between pieces.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Lesgold » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:45 am

Interesting comments. Would like to know if the contamination of the copper impacts on the strength or long term viability of a soldered joint. The other question that keeps on popping into my limited number of brain cells is “are there any health issues related to this possible contamination?” I can live with a compromised solder joint but serious health problems would be a game changer. My gut feeling is that there are probably many other higher ranking situations that warrant our attention in this hobby. In saying that, it is good to know the facts so that we can make informed decisions.
Lesgold

Postby scythe » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:07 am

@wellsy
The issue with grinding discs is always what they have been used on before.
That are not terrible on their own if brand new.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Return to Tips From The Workbench