Questions about welding stainless

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: Questions about welding stainless

Postby B-Man » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:05 pm

is the foot pedal a worthy investment?
My hand eye coordination is bad enough without adding my feet into the mix.
I have found controlling the tig with the torch controller easy enough. im guessing the foot pedal replaces that? or is the foot pedal for torches that don't come with the controls in it?
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:19 pm

What i can gather foot control starts high frequency arc start and gives variable amp control while welding.
I could be wrong(probably am) but think button on torch is for lift tig start??
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:19 am

That’s exactly correct. Can be used either ac or dc, most if not all, will have a dial so you can set your peak amps, some even have a dial to set base (starting) amps.

Now, is it right for you? Only you can answer that. I can and do use them when the application is right. One shop I worked in only had a foot peddle, when you are building a 6 metre gate it’s a PITA to drag or kick that thing around with you, same if you are building a roll cage. !#?$ that!!!

An aluminium live tank for a boat that you really want welded in one continuous run, awesome bit of kit, you can back off just enough to keep the weld pool molten, without blowing out, whilst you grab another piece of filler wire, then stomp the peddle and keep on trucking! Although that does take some practice. Once again, get comfortable with it, sitting in a chair set at the correct height will make things much easier. A mate of my had a bracket welded to his chair and his foot pedal was in the same spot everytime. It was pretty cool.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:25 pm

Hey Welding crew.

I would like to let you all know, I have accepted a job offer at a welding supplies company as a sales rep, off the tools and still within the industry, perfect for a guy with a &%?!ed back and a passion for what he does! Better money and a company car! It also opens up my communication line with industry leaders, so, any information I can offer on welding, polishing, brazing, soldering, melting, anything metal is going to expand. Give me a few months to settle in, but hopefully, I’ll have answers on speed dial, by way of calling my industry reps that are highly specialized in their fields. I’ll make special note of any copper related products, services, reps.

Really happy and about 10 coopers pales deep. About to crack out the rhumb!

Delete if not allowed. I’ve openly given welding advice and will continue to do so with as much an unbiased opinion as I can. Once again, let me settle in for a few months, and I'm happy to offer sales service to anyone looking at buying equipment.

Cheers!!!
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Postby bluc » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:29 pm

Nice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby iOnaBender » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:51 pm

All the breast with your new venture Likker

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:03 pm

Congrats on the career move mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'm sure with your experience you will love being off the tools offering advise and getting sales hand and foot. Well for me yea my back is just about shot but a soon visit to a bone cruncher will soon fix it and I do love working on the tools and won't be giving up it any time soon.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:13 am

Watching a vid on youtube the bloke is welding stainless ferrules
Into copper fittings.
He just fuse welds without filler wire on inside.

Question about outside. In this case would you just puckle outside or is there a way to backpurge outside pipe. Maybe do it in a box of some sort? He just does it on a bench so I assume he uses pickle paste.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:39 pm

Yeah just weld the inside and clean up the outside if you want too. No need to purge if you are welding inside. The only reason you purge is so the inside remains hygienic with full penetration when you are unable to get inside to clean it up later. You can’t die grind and polish the inside of 20 metres of product pipe. I don’t even polish, pickle or anything else on my purge welds.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:04 pm

Sorry for million questions.

So i bought a plasma didnt want to faff about with hole saws. Am I right in thinking a hole cut in stainless with plasma will sugar?.
Should i cut smaller and sand out with inox flap disk in die grinder or cut neat and pickle? Guessing either will work?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:06 am

If you keep your tip nice and clean, you should get a really nice clean cut, I wouldn’t go too small, you will be die grinding for ever. No need to pickle it.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:20 am

Thanks again :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:16 am

Eh Likker got a Q for ya mate, with this new job I'm going to be using inconel mig wire :scared-eek: never knew before this even existed but it must be the small world I live in :laughing-rolling:

So my Q is how does this wire go just like steel wire ? or is there a technique used to get the best results, now 90% of the welding is going to be vertical up's so like with doing this with steel wire one would really drop the amps and wire speed then use the 1,2,3 left in right technique to do the weld.

Any tips would be great mate and I will have a couple to a few days to learn to use this wire and any forward advise will be great.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:54 pm

Ok where i'm going to be using this inconel mig wire is off a platform on a pier just rammed in where the metal mount is welded in after setting up to the thou or for the useless generation 0.01mm or 1/2 that :laughing-rolling:

Did a google this morning and I reckon as we will be using flux core as hanging off a newly rammed pier no hide will shield for a argon shield.

So basically inconel is a nickle based alloy with great corrosion properties among a host of others and as a dissimilar alloy for joining different metals.

This new job reminds me of a job I did back in the '90's where a ugg boot manufacturer asked me to mod his overlockers so the lazy wheel was above the needle as sewing around the ugg boot was causing the needle to drift. Now I was a heavy machinist in the No.3 shop at Perrys at mile end so I went and asked the boilermaker leading hand was the best rods to do this job. He gave me a box of 309 2.5mm rods and said preheat to 200C and peen the weld for a few minutes to stop the weld cracking. Basically I cut the leg on 10K overlockers to make them shorter and I was dealing with a big fish, lucky for me I had a kiln so after peening every weld it would go back into the kiln. After the last layer of weld was done I set the kiln to 600C and put the part in to soak for an hour. then turned off the kiln and left the part in.

The first one worked well for 3 months and i spent the next 12 months doing the rest of his overlockers and not one broke thru out the machines life either.

So using a flux core exotic wire like inconel could be the same where a preheat is needed and peening the weld for a few minutes after to stop the weld cracking may be needed.

But than again the process may be totally different and I will update this thread when I get going on this job. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Finally I can agree with my old man (RIP) as when I was 16 I wanted to be a chippy and got 1 of 4 apprenticeships at BHP but my old man overruled saying a fitter machinist can work in wood but a chippy can't work in steel just like a chippy can't be a boilermaker which is now my preferred trade as it does pay a heap more and one can leave the brain at home :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan

Edit: So Likker am I right or totally off the garden path :laughing-rolling:
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:54 am

I’ve never bloody heard of it! My background is stainless, 3mm thick has been on the heavy side of my career, I’ve got an entire new trade (boiler making) to learn. It’s going to be a very steep learning curve, so I’ll probably be asking you questions when it comes to that. I do however, have a lot of other people in my new organisation I can draw experience and knowledge from. I hardly ever touch a MIG, I own one, but I just use it for welding up broken box trailers and feet on steel posts.

I’m going in to the shop tomorrow, so I’ll ask Adam.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

Postby Dude » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:01 am

My dual outlet regulator turned up yesterday so i will be able to back purge a lot easier (I hope) :-D
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:20 pm

Dude wrote:My dual outlet regulator turned up yesterday so i will be able to back purge a lot easier (I hope) :-D

Looking for one also where did you get it??

Wondering about pulse tig does duty cycle remain the same or increase when pulse tigging?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Dude » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:48 am

bluc wrote:
Dude wrote:My dual outlet regulator turned up yesterday so i will be able to back purge a lot easier (I hope) :-D

Looking for one also where did you get it??

Wondering about pulse tig does duty cycle remain the same or increase when pulse tigging?

hi bluc, got it from a place called tokentools inWyong NSW

Unsure about the pulse issue but at the amps used for stainless you will not run out of time.
Last edited by Dude on Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:12 am

bluc
Site Donor

Postby Dude » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:26 am

A good jig for aligning the ferrule with the pipe is two pieces of pipe welded together, look like a figure 8 from the end and sit the ferrule on the end and slide the copper up to it. I will try and upload a photo.
Last edited by Dude on Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dude

PreviousNext

Return to Tips From The Workbench