Drilling ferrules

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Drilling ferrules

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:09 pm

I have a 4inch copper coupler plan to solder stainless ferrule each end. I need a 53mm hole to create a 45 degree junction into it using a 50mm expanded copper elbow. Should I

A) use tct hole saw in drill press
B) buy a sheet metal punch.

The hole I need to cut takes place in both stainless ferrule and copper coupler.

I want to do it right once will cost me more to replace bits then buy right tool for the job. I once drilled 12mm hole in a end cap that took some doing..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Drilling ferrules

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:59 pm

Are you talking a hydraulic chassis punch off fleabay? We’ve got one at work and it’s not too bad. There is a knack to using them, A shop I used to work in had a Japanese built model from Stainelec and the cut is worlds apart. That thing was awesome. Comes down to tooling.

Stainless isn’t hard to drill. Set the drill press as slow as it can go. Use a good cutting fluid and use a good quality 1/8 No. 8 double ended drill bit for a pilot hole every time. Think of a twist drill as two chisels shaving off material smoothly, that’s when your swarf is in long spirals and your drill bits will love you.

Holesaws think of a cold saw blade, slow with plenty of torque, plenty of cutting fluid.

If using a cordless drill, think of the trigger like an accelerator, when driving how often do we just mash the pedal to the floor?

Hope this helps.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Postby scythe » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:05 pm

Personally I would do it in 2 stages.
Cut the hole in the copper first.
Mark it out and then stitch drill it.
File finish to size.

Then solder the stainless ferrules in and die grind out any stainless that shows through the cut hole.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:38 pm

After watching youtube vids on those punchs i am gunna give it a go. I also have one of those tri clover ferrule pull through tools on its way. I will post a few photos when I get my mod finished.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby B-Man » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:46 pm

I'd either solder it together then cut it out very slow with a hole saw and lots of cutting fluid but that might stuff up due to the copper and stainless differences or mark it out and just cut and grind the hole in each first then solder together and die grind to finish it off.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby bluc » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:29 am

I have changed my mind with this and taking a new approach. Hopefully my stuff will arrive next week so I can start..
bluc
Site Donor

Return to Tips From The Workbench