Worth Running Thermometer In Boiler Wash?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Worth Running Thermometer In Boiler Wash?

Postby Dick Jane » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:23 am

G'day guys.

I am building a Boiler (Will post photos when I work it out). Question is......Who runs a thermometer in the wash and is it useful?

I have got one for the top of the keg and then noticed someone comment that they had an extra thermometer in the wash and it got me thinking :-B
Dick Jane

equipment: Egay Pot Still

Re: Worth Running Thermometer In Boiler Wash?

Postby coffe addict » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:26 am

Useful for knowing how long before it starts to boil. My hand is just as useful and lots cheaper. If money is not an issue go for it!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Dick Jane » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:31 am

coffe addict wrote:Useful for knowing how long before it starts to boil. My hand is just as useful and lots cheaper. If money is not an issue go for it!

I haven't got a thermometer or sender at the moment but I have plenty of 1/4 sockets that I could weld on.

Was thinking to put the Heaters up about 75-100mm off the bottom and I could put the socket about 200mm above that?
Dick Jane

Postby Dick Jane » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:33 am

Trying to upload photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick Jane

Postby Sam. » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:43 am

A thermo in the boiler will also give you an indication of how much alcohol is left in there, the closer you get to 100 the closer you are to water :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:32 pm

:text-+1: I mounted my thermometer to the 2inch end cap that goes on the fill port,just TIG a 1/2inch BSP weld on fitting to it after drilling a 10-12mm hole in the end cap.Then its easy ta see ,is less likely to get damaged,its not necessary ta have it in the liquid,its more about monitering goings on and having something that helps you know everthing is happening as it should,as the quicker problems are seen and dealt with, then the better spirit flows and your safer too.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby rash » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Maybe if you mount it to monitor liquid temp, you can use your boiler to heat up water to the right strike temp for all grain if you go in that direction? Guages look cool too. Can never have too many guages!
rash

equipment: Pot still
4 plate, 3" bubbler on 50ltr keg boiler.

Postby Dick Jane » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:01 pm

Thanks guys, I put a socket half way up :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I made a bit of progress today. Got all the sockets welded in and some holes drilled. Some more fittings that need pressure testing before I put holes in under them.

Had to cut a bit more off the handle as I couldn't see where I was welding around the back of the spare 2" flange :))
Dick Jane

Postby woodduck » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:50 am

Is that where all your fittings are going to be? If so can I ask what they are all for? Why 2 2" fittings? You have me intrigued :think:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Dick Jane » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:59 pm

woodduck wrote:Is that where all your fittings are going to be? If so can I ask what they are all for? Why 2 2" fittings? You have me intrigued :think:

Yep, that's where they are going.

Saw someone on here had a light in theirs so I put in a spare 2" fitting for that :-D The original 2" fitting in the centre may get swapped for a 3" once I work out what I am doing for a still.......still toying with what to make but may run a very basic one built out of 2" tube for a start :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I want to build a column for it sometime but am still as confused as fuk as to how to start and measurements etc :angry-banghead: If anyone knows of an off the shelf plan that would make a good starting point I am all ears.........just toooooo much info on here :laughing-rolling:
Dick Jane

Return to Boilers & burners.