3/4" Copper BD burner

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

3/4" Copper BD burner

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:22 pm

G'day Guy's,
I made one of these a couple of years ago and once trimmed running it on 5psi will heat a 45 litre mash to fores in about 45 minutes.

Now as I'm on holidays and looking to get rid of this year how about I do another diversion and do a How to Make thread here on making the burner.

If you a quicker heatup this unit will run @ 50 psi but the noise is earmuff worthy :laughing-rolling: well to me who likes the quiet of the bush but for those that live in the town it won't be that bad.

All that is need is a 300mm length of 3/4" copper pipe
a 10mm length of 1/8" pipe
and a 50mm length of 2" pipe
some copper pipe scrap for feet

Oh and a 1/4" bsp nipple.

All we do with the 3/4" pipe is close one end in the vice and hard solder it so it forms a good seal. On the other end we hard solder 1/4" nipple which is the gas input. Then a 0.8mm hole is drilled 2" from the end of the sealed end and hard solder the 1/8" pipe central to the hole.

The 2" pipe is hard soldered central to the 1/8" pipe and trimmed to get the right air to gas ratio so a full blue burn can be achieved so the unit can at the best your regulator can handle :music-deathmetal:

now for feet use that pipe scrap so it stands up and you have a burner to stand the test of time :handgestures-thumbupleft:

There I have described how to make it but if you need pictures they will be forth coming.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Boilers & burners.