Wooden Boiler Plan. I'm Going To Do It. Maybe.

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Re: Wooden Boiler Plan. I'm Going To Do It No Matter What

Postby crow » Thu May 24, 2012 12:21 pm

Firstly I didn't choose the heading for this as there is nothing I ever do No matter what . Sterilization between washes seems to to be the biggest issue with this concept . Drying it out is not a feasible option as it would take to long and would almost certainly cause the timber to distort . There may well be a very good reason why things are not done like this and then again it might just be because "boilers aren't done that way"
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby R-sole » Thu May 24, 2012 12:28 pm

croweater wrote:Firstly I didn't choose the heading for this as there is nothing I ever do No matter what . Sterilization between washes seems to to be the biggest issue with this concept . Drying it out is not a feasible option as it would take to long and would almost certainly cause the timber to distort . There may well be a very good reason why things are not done like this and then again it might just be because "boilers aren't done that way"

aah, and you were clever enough to edit your previous post where you said 'I'm going to do it!' before you posted this :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

What would you like it to say? I'll change it for you...
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Thu May 24, 2012 12:33 pm

Rockchucker22 wrote:In all seriousness I have toyed with the idea of a white oak column, 3 plate whisky machine, why not( other than the obvious already pointed out)? Simple easy and cheaper, still need copper condensor, copper plates. Maybe a glass condensor.

yeah Rock I have thought of that as well but this would only be a goer if the column could be square . i just don't know enough about plates yet to give this more than a passing thought , although the swelling timber sure would make em tight
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Thu May 24, 2012 2:15 pm

audistiller wrote: why don't you start making a boiler the same as YHB has, the wooden barrel type design with a stainless insert

YHB very likely had many ppl say why don't you just use a keg and a triclover , he didn't and what he created is functional insulated not to mention attractive and what I like most about it its unique . Anyway as stated I think this concept may have some benefits that no other boiler could produce . Not trying something for the sole reason that no one else does is IMHO no reason at all . It may well be that some very good reasons come to light for not going down this path and if I wasn't willing to explore them then I wouldn't open it up to a forum via a thread , I'd just pigheadedly go ahead and build it and post the result . I didn't just dream this up last night , in fact I thought about the possibilities of this 15 or 20 yrs ago
crow

Postby MacStill » Thu May 24, 2012 2:37 pm

5Star wrote:
croweater wrote:Firstly I didn't choose the heading for this as there is nothing I ever do No matter what . Sterilization between washes seems to to be the biggest issue with this concept . Drying it out is not a feasible option as it would take to long and would almost certainly cause the timber to distort . There may well be a very good reason why things are not done like this and then again it might just be because "boilers aren't done that way"

aah, and you were clever enough to edit your previous post where you said 'I'm going to do it!' before you posted this :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

What would you like it to say? I'll change it for you...

Want me to remove the edit button again?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: 80 ltr, 6000w Boiler Project

Postby crow » Thu May 24, 2012 3:01 pm

croweater wrote: fuck it I reckon I'll have a go at it

I'm not sure whats meant here :? if its this its still here . I'm sure all my editing was done straight after posting to add something or to fix typo's and change wording to better reflect my thinking EDIT and I qualified this (perhaps not clearly) as subject to feasibility , cost , effective result and everyone's opinion
crow

Postby Panda » Thu May 24, 2012 3:45 pm

croweater wrote:
croweater wrote: fuck it I reckon I'll have a go at it

I'm not sure whats meant here :? if its this its still here . I'm sure all my editing was done straight after posting to add something or to fix typo's and change wording to better reflect my thinking EDIT and I qualified this (perhaps not clearly) as subject to feasibility , cost , effective result and everyone's opinion

My brain hurts
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby crow » Thu May 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Ok after spending most of the day looking in to this(should have been working) seems my idea is neither radical nor new here are some images of wooden boilers still in use that predate the invention of stainless steel and 2 of them are from the distillery who's rum id like to reproduce . Now that's what you call a mad coincidence
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crow

Postby stubbydrainer » Thu May 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Frank wrote:
Stubbydrainer,
how long do you reckonthe 6000w will take to bring up the temp to 'as required'???

Frank
I filled it with 72l water and it took 48 min to get it to 78*C , no insulation and an open top .
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby maheel » Thu May 24, 2012 6:49 pm

i was thinking rather than letting it "dry out" you could just fill it with water between runs ?

maybe send Pussers an email and ask them what sort of wood it is ?
maheel

Postby crow » Thu May 24, 2012 6:57 pm

maheel wrote:i was thinking rather than letting it "dry out" you could just fill it with water between runs ?

maybe send Pussers an email and ask them what sort of wood it is ?

:handgestures-thumbupleft: I'd think oak but yes definitely worth an email good thinking might ask them about sterilization to . wineries do and have for centuries done wine in vats just like these without infections so.... got to be a way
crow

Postby crow » Thu May 24, 2012 6:59 pm

stubbydrainer wrote:I filled it with 72l water and it took 48 min to get it to 78*C , no insulation and an open top .

Far out 48 min I wonder how quick in something well insulated
crow

Postby Panda » Thu May 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Does anyone else notice a strange soapy ish taste when you take the first sip of pussers. It's like licking cake soap for a second, then you don't taste it again for the rest of the night
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby audistiller » Thu May 24, 2012 8:48 pm

croweater wrote:Not trying something for the sole reason that no one else does is IMHO no reason at all . It may well be that some very good reasons come to light for not going down this path and if I wasn't willing to explore them then I wouldn't open it up to a forum via a thread

I think your enthusiasm is fantastic so don't stop with your ideas, I know where you are coming from, all I was suggesting is to put your energy and resources into something better and longer lasting. If your heart is in it, have a go, and of course do it for yourself not everyone else, I just don't see the benefit given a few major reasons you could be wasting your money, and a decent amount of quality ingredients.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby stubbydrainer » Thu May 24, 2012 8:53 pm

croweater wrote:Far out 48 min I wonder how quick in something well insulated

Dunno :shock: , Guess I'll find out one day :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller

Postby crow » Fri May 25, 2012 1:17 am

stubbydrainer wrote:

Dunno :shock: , Guess I'll find out one day :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Jeez just let me finish making Don's burner thingo before making me jealous of something else
crow

Postby SBB » Fri May 25, 2012 9:38 am

There isnt a hope of me attempting to build a wooden still.
Its and interesting story never the less............ http://www.pussers.com/t-rum-difference.aspx
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby stubbydrainer » Fri May 25, 2012 9:52 am

croweater wrote:
stubbydrainer wrote:

Jeez just let me finish making Don's burner thingo before making me jealous of something else

Yeah, I got one of them too :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

Postby crow » Fri May 25, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks for the link SBB I hadn't got around to looking at their site yet . I got the photo's Via just search words + images , anyway very interesting and backs up a lot of what I was already thinking . Anyway I still very well may do this , just got to decide if its worth making a boiler just for dark rum . Thinking it just might be :D
crow

Re: Wooden Boiler Plan. I'm Going To Do It. Maybe.

Postby audistiller » Tue May 29, 2012 4:54 am

Theres that much good stuff to read on the interweb, its difficult to remember even some of it. Cant remember how many nights I have found myself going through page after page of interesting information, only to find myself still going when the sun came up, and I still know nothing.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

PreviousNext

Return to Boilers & burners.