Kegs

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Kegs

Postby punchy21 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Can anyone see any pros and/or cons over using these kegs as the boiler for a pot still, one better than the other??

DSC_0544.jpg

DSC_0545.jpg

Cheers, Punchy...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Re: Kegs

Postby maheel » Sat May 26, 2012 3:34 pm

the cub may give you more surface area for vapour to form ?

i have a few of the LN type (A type) ones but ....

not sure it will make any real difference
maheel

Postby bt1 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Much the sameness really...

Not sure if CUB kegs have the bottom tube that forms the base drilled for air/moisture escape? guess they would be.

Type A has a slightly wider face for column joining by width of circlip c/f to sanke CUB I recall but could be wrong here...

Nice pick up...use one for storage perhaps

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Frank » Sat May 26, 2012 6:06 pm

all I know is the CUB keg will work as a keg boiler for your potstill (as I know mine does ;-) )....what kind of heatsource BTW??

Nice problem to have really and the 'other one' (as you choose) can be used too (eg for low-wines collection) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Frank

Postby SBB » Sat May 26, 2012 6:45 pm

The one on the right would be my pick......more surface area on the bottom should save a little gas and make heat up times a little shorter.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Sat May 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Thinking that to I have the other one of fucking cause :roll: could of picked anyone of 5 different profiles :angry-banghead: so what do I do oh shiny yeah that'll work better , mutter mutter dipstick
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby punchy21 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:44 pm

all I know is the CUB keg will work as a keg boiler for your potstill (as I know mine does ;-) )....what kind of heatsource BTW??

The plan is to go electric... so the other will more than likely be used for storage of low wines ;-)
punchy21

6kW 50L Boiler

Postby MacStill » Sat May 26, 2012 9:55 pm

My technical side says go the short keg so you can optimize your packing length if you have height restrictions..... phew! :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby punchy21 » Sun May 27, 2012 12:10 pm

My technical side says go the short keg so you can optimize your packing length if you have height restrictions..... phew! :))

And your other side Mac????

Starting to think the CUB might be better on startup with "more' wash around the elements than the taller keg, getting up to temp quicker... probably marginal tho... :think:
punchy21

6kW 50L Boiler

Postby maheel » Sun May 27, 2012 5:57 pm

the LN keg is also easier to seal back up as it just screws in while the CUB has the painful "ring" to put back in.

so if you wanted to store in a keg the LN one woudl be a better storage for ease of opening closing quick
maheel

Postby audistiller » Sun May 27, 2012 6:20 pm

First glimpse at the one on the left looked to be aluminium, the keg I have is aluminium, but I believe they are reasonably rare.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby crow » Sun May 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Nup its a Belgium made Lion & nathan ss . Some washes are more acidic than others and most are when they'er hot , I'd think about looking around for an ss one myself . I know the dissolved castigens are likely to stay in the wash and not in the vapor but sooner or later it will burn a hole and thats going to be a pain if you just stated a run , none of my beeswax but just saying...
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby maheel » Sun May 27, 2012 7:13 pm

audistiller wrote:First glimpse at the one on the left looked to be aluminium, the keg I have is aluminium, but I believe they are reasonably rare.

what brand (or beer brand) keg is it

i have never seen one so am interested
maheel

Postby audistiller » Sun May 27, 2012 7:16 pm

maheel wrote:what brand (or beer brand) keg is it, I have never seen one so am interested

Not sure Maheel, its sitting under the back steps at home up North, when I finally get home I will take a look and post the info.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby bt1 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:19 pm

I reckon it's a Lion Nathan QLD brewer.... or was till sold to Japaneese Kirin company from recall.

it's the same as a coopers or Swan brewries keg...remember swan in it's hey day...wonderful Type A stainless no dramas.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Sun May 27, 2012 8:09 pm

yes just clicked on it to check Its a ss Belgium made L&N the same as West End use same as mine piss easy to remove the spear , piss easy to plug up :handgestures-thumbupleft: PS just like to add and this is just my opinion . I wouldn't reuse any backset from an aluminum boiler as they will almost certainly contain levels of carcinogenic material that may or may not find their way in to the vapor path
crow

Postby Gas on » Mon May 28, 2012 6:37 pm

Hey punchy,

Looks like your dog has chosen the taller keg :)) :))

I had the choise between tooheys (tall&thin) & cub (short&stout) went with the tooheys just because heat rises,
running on a single 2200w element seemed sensible to me.

cheers
Gas on

equipment: baked beans & rum

arfa 5 star bubbler

Postby punchy21 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Yeah I noticed that after I had posted the pic, if I use that one it might teach him a lesson next time
when he burns his cock while I'm brewing :D
punchy21

6kW 50L Boiler

Return to Boilers & burners.