Gas baffles for boiler?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Gas baffles for boiler?

Postby B-Man » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:31 pm

I'm looking at making a new boiler like some others I have seen with the large kegs laying sideways and then weld another keg ontop.
Being bigger I wouldn't mind heating it with gas and electric to warm it up quicker and then switch to just electric to produce the product (so no gas while product is coming out)

Anyone have any ideas on holding more of the heat from the gas burner against the boiler?
And what have you don't to protect the drain valve and elements from the gas flames
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Re: Gas baffles for boiler?

Postby RC Al » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:23 pm

Boiling chips and a shroud

2nd one is a bit harder to do with sideways, but will be easier to exclude the ends for elements and drain. If you want to go the sump design for the elements, then gas will be much much trickier.

If you have the amps over multiple circuits for a few elements, electric is much cheaper long term, gas aint getting any cheaper.

Edit go a 80l for main section, more surface area... On a side note, I think 5 star might sell something thats way less hassle unless you have a good workshop and can weld well already
Last edited by RC Al on Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Re: Gas baffles for boiler?

Postby B-Man » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:20 pm

Yeah looking at an 80L sideways and an 80L ontop.
Was thinking about doing a sump but decided against it

This is what I'm thinking (not my photo)
Elements in red and drain in blue

the marriage.jpg

Also thought about inverting it and having the sideways keg on the top for something different but probably be too unstable.

I can tig good enough to join 2 kegs together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Return to Boilers & burners.