Modified T500 Boiler

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Modified T500 Boiler

Postby Linny » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:42 pm

Im tossing up an idea for a friend who is a avid beer brewer but is starting to get into spirits as well. He wants something that pretty much does both neutrals and rums/bourbons etc ... but still be able to mash as well :scared-eek:. He has asked me to come up with some ideas:

A guy i know has a T500 and has put a SSR-25 and a PID to the Element with a cake stand , and does Brew In a Bag using the T500 boiler :laughing-rolling: , which got us thinking ... what if we copy the boiler , and modify the lid by tig welding a tri clamp ferrule.... which will allow quick swaps of a BOKA and a Bubble cap.... Im trying to suggest 3" for the BOKA and Bubble due to vapor speed and suggested a Bubble cap over Perf plate due to the T500 only having a 2000w element.

Thoughts, suggestions, Idea's .... Have to keep it Electric and the boiler also has to double for the mash tun... too easy hey 8-}

He is moving away at the end of the year so, might have to start this soon LOL

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Still-Spirit ... 27bc8802af
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Re: Modified T500 Boiler

Postby DaveZ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:43 am

You'd want a super light weight bubbler to go on that Linny, the T500 lids aren't very strong. Much more weight than the standard still head and you'd risk cracking the lid I reckon. And for the price they are you'd nearly build a keg boiler for cheaper.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby Linny » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:45 am

yeah was only going to be a 3 plate... but i think ... maybe going keg now... wait and see i suppose.
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby crow » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:38 am

To be truly honest I have tasted stuff from 3 plates (rum) and I didn't like it at all, In my opinion it was slightly better than low wines. I would not go below 4 plates and I wouldn't consider a t500 boiler for a joke
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Boilers & burners.