Gas Flashback

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Gas Flashback

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:10 pm

I'm using a two ring banjo burner under my keg .When I used to use it on a standard Low pressure Reg ,it would occassionally flash back.

By that I mean the main burner rings would just make a pop and next thing,theres flames all around the air intake area.This Burner also doesn't like to operate unless there is a pot or something above the flame .You can't light it with nothing on it .

Keg 003.jpg

Yesterday I got an HP reg from HBS and thought I'd give this burner another crack .Same thing .Only if I run it only on the inner burner ,it doesn't do the flash back thing.

Is this common with these burners or do I just have a dud ?

Keg 004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Re: Gas Flashback

Postby jim » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:53 am

I used to get that. Now I lay a brick down between the air intake and the flame. Never get that problem with the brick in place.
jim

equipment: Modular 3" diameter VM/LM/pot still.

Postby bt1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:24 am

Howdy,

Shite in jets or taps...it happens after a few years depending on where/how/conditions burner is stored.

take the jets out and give them a soak in metho or heads. Then make sure the jet is clean fuse wire or jet wire. If you have shite build up past the jet a stiff bottle brush will do it.
Take the taps out, take apart. Clean the shaft, body and gas feed path same way as before. Just make sure you have lock base washer in right way other wise taps will be 180 degree out.
I use a little mean very little thin smear of Vaseline on tap shaft to stop the taps binding. Don't over tighten taps other wise too hard to use.

Once re assembled wind your adjustable air plates out a little and re adjust so your getting enough air and will se it as clear flame with only the tips starting to turn orange.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby drunkmore » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:24 am

:text-+1:
What couloir are the flames on the burner when it's running?
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:13 am

Flames are blue but theres a far amount of yellow tip.Unless there is somerhing on it,the flames basically lift of and go out.

Am going to give it a clean and see how that goes.Thanks guys
Yummyrum

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Pulled it apart and there was quite abit of shit in it .Put it bck together and tried it.

DOH still the same . Hey guys is it normal for these things not to work unless there is a pot on it to hold down the flames ?

Even on a Standard Reg,you can't light this thing uncovered .
Yummyrum

Postby jim » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:58 pm

Have no problem lighting it in any condition.
jim

Postby C2H6O » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:15 pm

I have a Bunnings 2 ring burner that looks similar to this.. Only used it a few times, but yes it works fine without anything on top. I usually light mine in the open then slide it under the keg.
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:26 pm

Thats what I thought you were going to say . My other little single ring burner lights piece of cake to ,so that's what made me wonder why this things such a dog .
All the holes are clear and free .I have a set of jet cleaning needles .

I'm starting to wonder why this was at the recycling centre :handgestures-thumbdown:

This is about as good as it gets .The Middle ring wont even burn ( will with a pot on it)
The air intake is almost closed tight

Keg 007.jpg

Open the air a little to clean up the flame and some jets start to die as the flame "lifts" off the burner

Keg 005.jpg

Add a bit more air and the flames almost gone .This is usually about the point where it flashes back and flames out the air intake

Keg 008.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

Postby jdonly1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:30 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Thats what I thought you were going to say . My other little single ring burner lights piece of cake to ,so that's what made me wonder why this things such a dog .
All the holes are clear and free .I have a set of jet cleaning needles .

I'm starting to wonder why this was at the recycling centre :handgestures-thumbdown:

This is about as good as it gets .The Middle ring wont even burn ( will with a pot on it)
The air intake is almost closed tight

Keg 007.jpg

Open the air a little to clean up the flame and some jets start to die as the flame "lifts" off the burner

Keg 005.jpg

Add a bit more air and the flames almost gone .This is usually about the point where it flashes back and flames out the air intake

Keg 008.jpg
is that a pressure reg you have there,if so crank it up and watch your air control
jdonly1

equipment: 50 litre pot still
315 Litre boiler and 4 inch stripper
2 inch VM on 50l Keg (now retired)
4 inch VM (aka the BIG PRICK) on 315litre boiler
Soon to come 6 inch Mac bubblier on 205 litre boiler
6 inch stripper on 300 litre boiler

Postby jim » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:32 pm

My outside ring does that as I crank up the gas. The inner two don't they just get bigger and hotter. I usually just run the inner two to heat up, since then I can crank up the reg to 120kPa or so, and actually get more heat out than I would running all three at a much lower gas rate.
jim

Postby crow » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:08 pm

You've got some sort of air intake issue. Does it have screws or bolts to adjust the intake ?
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:50 pm

crow wrote:You've got some sort of air intake issue. Does it have screws or bolts to adjust the intake ?

If you look at the first blurry pic you can just make out a disc that spins on the threaded shaft that enters the cast air intake port.
Yummyrum

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:52 pm

Maybe mrs Mac (the ol boiler) needs a bit more of an air restriction so she flashes back at me too :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Dominator » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:22 am

MacStill wrote:Maybe mrs Mac (the ol boiler) needs a bit more of an air restriction so she flashes back at me too :laughing-rolling:

:laughing-rolling: Nice one mac!
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby bt1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:23 am

Yum,

If it's lifting the gas flames off and blowing out two things.

Slow gas flow down so you get all lit. Progressively open up gas taps once it starts to seriously lift off you'll know where the max flow it can handle is. Both my 2 & 3 ring do the same. I'm on a HP reg so had to "find" the sweet spot and then lock reg using lock nut to that possie.

It will vary slightly between new filled bottle and half empty...
the outside ring looks fine.. just setup inner on it's own then outer and adjust.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby SBB » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:26 am

Ive had the odd problem with these burners at times too. A bit of maintenance can go a long way toward resolving problems. Rust seems to be one of the biggest enemies. Firstly make sure all the Gas holes in the burners are clean, if not run a small drill of the appropriate size through them. Then clean the jets, lastly give the whole affair a good blow out with compressed air. A lot of rust and other crud seems to build up inside them which cant be seen The compressed air will get rid of a lot of this.
Once you've done all this its a matter of fiddling with the air gas mixture to get the result you want. Ive seen standard 3 ring burners put out a huge amount of heat when coupled to a high pressure reg if they are clean and running right.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:32 am

SBB wrote:Ive had the odd problem with these burners at times too. A bit of maintenance can go a long way toward resolving problems. Rust seems to be one of the biggest enemies. Firstly make sure all the Gas holes in the burners are clean, if not run a small drill of the appropriate size through them.

Thanks SBB .I have noticed that there is a lot of rust in the Gas holes.I actually thought about doing that when I cleaned the tap /jet assembly but couldn't find an appropriate bit .Will do it .

bt1, I may well be trying to push it too hard .
Yummyrum

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:24 am

Just stuck the drill through all the gas holes and wire brushed it and blow out.

seems to have majorly improved it . :handgestures-thumbupleft: Middle Ring still sucks but I recon I could get this thing cracking now on the outside ring alone.

cheers . Just got to get used to the air control ring .seems that I need to fiddle with it every time I change the gas flow .Likes to be for the most part almost choked off for best performance .Seems strange that for such a long thread that its only effective right at the closure point
Yummyrum

Postby JayD » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:35 am

Yummyrum wrote:Just stuck the drill through all the gas holes and wire brushed it and blow out.

seems to have majorly improved it . :handgestures-thumbupleft: Middle Ring still sucks but I recon I could get this thing cracking now on the outside ring alone.

cheers . Just got to get used to the air control ring .seems that I need to fiddle with it every time I change the gas flow .Likes to be for the most part almost choked off for best performance .Seems strange that for such a long thread that its only effective right at the closure point

it's ironic, at the point of no control comes fine control...you see this in so many activites in all types of hobbies... :-B
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Next

Return to Boilers & burners.