Boiler Agitator

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Re: Boiler Agitator

Postby 1 2many » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:25 pm

wiifm wrote:put the shaft up through the bottom, then you only need to worry about a liquid seal.

Not sure I would go that way the liquid seal will be under more pressure due to the volume of the wash than a top entry shaft that only has vapour pressure which is very small . :think:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby wiifm » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm

1 2many wrote:
wiifm wrote:put the shaft up through the bottom, then you only need to worry about a liquid seal.

Not sure I would go that way the liquid seal will be under more pressure due to the volume of the wash than a top entry shaft that only has vapour pressure which is very small . :think:

I was thinking more along the lines of the seals only having to deal with a low alcohol liquid as opposed to high alcohol vapour. Might open up the choices for a seal? The other benefits could be to get the motor out of the way of pouring in the grains etc and reducing shaft length.
wiifm

equipment: 4 plate glasser using FSD bubble caps

Postby 1 2many » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:03 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of the seals only having to deal with a low alcohol liquid as opposed to high alcohol vapour. Might open up the choices for a seal?

Good point. I suppose it boils down to the seals and motor type going from the bottom, One down side would be having to raise the boiler height to fit a motor.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:43 pm

Did you get anywhere with this Brendan? :think:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby flamehawk » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:28 pm

What about an air pump.

Just have it circulate air from within the system. take off would be above the waterline
flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:12 pm

If the air is ambient temperature it would make boil up time a lot more. Agitation solves scorching and circulates the mash to speed up heat times by avoiding cold spots.

I'm gonna have a good think about this.. If the big guys are doing it it's probably possible on a hobby level too
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:52 am

1 2many wrote:

A liquid seal would be self lubricating where a hot vapour would not
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Brendan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:57 am

Urrazeb wrote:Did you get anywhere with this Brendan? :think:

Nah, was just a thought.

One of those things that sounds cool, but really don't need it...maybe once running a steam jacketed boiler though :pray:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:00 pm

I thought about putting in a perforated false bottom as per allgrain mashing ,so as the elements were not in contact with grains or fruit ,still tryin ta work out how I could get it in and out for cleaning,or maybe a rims ,just a thought.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby MacStill » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:20 pm

I'm getting rather agitated using a 50L boiler, does that count ? :oops:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Previous

Return to Boilers & burners.