I wish when I built my keg boiler I....

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

I wish when I built my keg boiler I....

Postby Dingo Charlie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:37 pm

I wish when I built my keg boiler I
1. Put my elements at the back of my boiler opposite my fill port (spillage, electrical cords tangle up... all of it shits me! :angry-banghead: )
2. Didn't have a drain port on the side of my boiler (low as can be) but at the lowest point in the middle of my keg at the bottom..... I hate tipping up my keg at then end when washing it to get the last bit out :angry-banghead: or removing backset / dunder :crying-blue:
3. Polished it....super fucking shiny ( I mean mirror finish like those freak photos on here), before I cut holes, and added ports and all sorts of other points and edges for sanding discs, flap discs etc to blow apart on :angry-banghead:
4. put on castors, leveling ones .... because most concrete slabs have some fall and the steepest will be at the point you set up your stilling bench :angry-banghead:
5. .... oh fuck it!!! Just order an FSD boiler, (saving up at the moment)......I think I'll get the Ultimate Carbon Filter first but won't be long before a FSD boiler is mine :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah:, (talk soon Mac....but I've got a funny voice....email it is :scared-eek: )

P.S Sometimes Noobs are NOOBS yep we ask stupid fucken questions, post stuff no one gives a shit about, need answers straight away, think we know everything and its always a mad panic to get the information so we can hurry up and fuck it all up..... yep we are NOOBS....
Hope the above helps other impatient Noobs like me to not do what I did!
Thats my rant..... I think its rhetorical.....
:text-thankyoublue: to this site for slowing me down....teaching me to read again.....giving me endless amounts of information and always giving me a laugh........ :laughing-rolling: Ok, ok back to lurking and skulking for me :techie-typing:
Dingo Charlie

equipment: MAC 4" FSD Bubble Plate Still
FSD 4" packed section (full of copper mesh)
50L keg boiler
Twin 2400W Elements with power controller
1000L IBC and Pump

Re: I wish when I built my keg boiler I....

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:40 pm

:text-+1: :text-lol:
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby 5 o'clock » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:10 pm

:text-+1: on element positioned on the back (or at least the side) of the keg to get them away from the fill port.

Everything else about my keg I am happy with, I put my drain in the base and I also had the fill port mounted flat so I can use it as a 4 inch connection to mount the still onto if I ever want to.

I have my keg wrapped up in foam most of the time so can't see a point in polishing it.
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby huggy_b » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:24 am

........had an 80L keg instead of a standard 50L one.
huggy_b

equipment: 4" glasser (5 plates)

Postby bayshine » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:56 am

I wish I had just bought my mac boiler earlier :text-lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:58 am

bayshine wrote:I wish I had just bought my mac boiler earlier :text-lol:

What size/litre is that glorious Mac boiler?
CaptainRedBeard

Postby bayshine » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:05 am

CaptainRedBeard wrote:
bayshine wrote:I wish I had just bought my mac boiler earlier :text-lol:

What size/litre is that glorious Mac boiler?

100l but has heaps of head room and can easily get 120l in there so long as you don't have a puke :dance:
bayshine

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:10 am

Oooh I might have to save some cash and have a chat to Mac soon...
CaptainRedBeard

Postby 1 2many » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:38 pm

Dingo Charlie wrote:I wish when I built my keg boiler I
1. Put my elements at the back of my boiler opposite my fill port (spillage, electrical cords tangle up... all of it shits me! :angry-banghead: ) Check did that
2. Didn't have a drain port on the side of my boiler (low as can be) but at the lowest point in the middle of my keg at the bottom..... I hate tipping up my keg at then end when washing it to get the last bit out :angry-banghead: or removing backset / dunder :crying-blue: Check did that 1"drain at bottom
3. Polished it....super fucking shiny ( I mean mirror finish like those freak photos on here), before I cut holes, and added ports and all sorts of other points and edges for sanding discs, flap discs etc to blow apart on :angry-banghead: Still deciding but think I might insulate instead
4. put on castors, leveling ones .... because most concrete slabs have some fall and the steepest will be at the point you set up your stilling bench :angry-banghead: hhmmm haven't decided yet still on bricks
5. .... oh fuck it!!! Just order an FSD boiler, (saving up at the moment)......I think I'll get the Ultimate Carbon Filter first but won't be long before a FSD boiler is mine :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah:, (talk soon Mac....but I've got a funny voice....email it is :scared-eek: ) hhmmm I bloody wish

P.S Sometimes Noobs are NOOBS yep we ask stupid fucken questions, post stuff no one gives a shit about, need answers straight away, think we know everything and its always a mad panic to get the information so we can hurry up and fuck it all up..... yep we are NOOBS....
Hope the above helps other impatient Noobs like me to not do what I did!
Thats my rant..... I think its rhetorical.....
:text-thankyoublue: to this site for slowing me down....teaching me to read again.....giving me endless amounts of information and always giving me a laugh........ :laughing-rolling: Ok, ok back to lurking and skulking for me :techie-typing:

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Edit: I wish I had left handles on it.1 2many boiler
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Mad » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:40 pm

Considering I am about to build one this is a great thread! Just not interested in it being shiney that's about all. Think I will have to add legs and mount that drain on the bottom I was going for a side mount but the bottom seems so much more logical :text-+1:
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby 1 2many » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:39 pm

Mad wrote:Considering I am about to build one this is a great thread! Just not interested in it being shiney that's about all. Think I will have to add legs and mount that drain on the bottom I was going for a side mount but the bottom seems so much more logical :text-+1:

Do yourself a favor Mad and go bottom drain you won't regret it, so much easier to completely drain and for cleaning. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Mad » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:26 pm

Yeah thanks i will for sure I would like some simple legs but even without I will bottom mount n sit it on some bricks for the time being. :text-+1: trying to find so one to borrow some argon from at the moment lol save buying a whole bottle for such a little job
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby benpandaae86 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Its expensive but you can get lil bottles from bunnings
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby Mad » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:53 am

Thanks ben just been advised about back purging can't imagine 930mls for $40 will be enough am calling boc today get prices
Mad

Postby benpandaae86 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:02 am

Those lil bottles hold 60l of gas so it would just be enough to purge the keg but thats bout it
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby stretch69 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:55 am

After reading heaps of tips on here i put my fill port opposite to my elements and put a ss skin fitting in the bottom :handgestures-thumbupleft: ,

Unfortunately I'm still on bricks at the moment which I'm finding annoying. Can i arc weld some ghetto legs on the side or do they have to be tig welded? .

I have to thank everyone for all their advice!
stretch69

equipment: 4" 4 plate FSD Bubbler!
50l Boiler

Postby woodduck » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:24 pm

You can mig weld stainless but it will more than likely dis colour and rust.

On the purging, i know i should but i never have and to be honest I've never had any real problems with rust or the like.

On what i would do differently on my boiler, i would put the elements right round the back out of the way. What i like about my boiler is the bottom drain, i empties right out without having to lean it over.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby 1 2many » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:01 pm

One advantage of the clamp on drain is there is no back or front of the boiler, so you can place the elements where ever you like and still have the drain facing where ever you want. ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby scythe » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:06 am

Just a thought on doing purged tig welding.
Has anyone thought to partially fill the keg with water (maybe with 40L or so) that way you will be using less argon to fill the void area.
That will stretch the little bunnings cylinder a little further.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bayshine » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:26 am

Staino can be tigged, miged, or sticked, all methods are ok and all methods will cause oxidisation on the inside if the metal is to thin and/or the weld gets to hot and the weld pool penetrates through.
Stick welding has it's own slag and this will transfer to the inside of the weld when this happens and you will generally get away from having to purge :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Mig welding uses a different gas for staino than for normal carbon steel(different argoshields types) and this will give the weld metal a good colour but will require a purge on thin stuff:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Tig welding uses a different gas than mig(just pure argon)and penetrates easily and will require a purge, but this needs to have removed all oxygen in the vessel and then still have a constant flow of about 5litres per minute as you weld.
Purging uses shit loads of gas and is very expensive so anything can be done to decrease the area to be purged,with pipes butt welds we put a foam dam each side of the weld so not to have to do the whole pipe. Also with just a small weld on a large vessel we can make a box to go around the inside of the weld area (masking tape to make the seal)and just purge this area :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Also when purging something like a keg(50l) it will take far more than 50l of argon to remove the oxygen as they mix together (unlike oil and water)and it's best to add the argon from the bottom and let it drain (purge)out the top
I hope this helps
bayshine

Next

Return to Boilers & burners.