Insulating a boiler help

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Insulating a boiler help

Postby Mad » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:58 pm

So I got this fancy thick as #### insulation matting from work. Works a bloody treat but what I'd like to know from other people who have insulated how has it affected the amount of heat required once at temp to do a run? I'm having epic problems tonight and I want to know if it's partly the cause. Just looking for someone else experience. So I've done a few mods at once an extension packed column and the insulation. Previously I was running around 900w of power During summer nights for a spirit run to get a nice steady drip. I've made these mods and done a run tonight I couldn't even successfully get a drip I got a very slow stream at 297w. I use a voltage regulator and volt + ammeter display so I am able to adjust element power accordingly. On top of drastically less power I'm only pulling 90% or below possibly due to the flow rate but I would have thought with the extension tube I was aiming to hit 95 if I could correct th flow. Previous to mods I could hit 93.2% consistently.

I've shut it down for tonight going to gather my thoughts regroup and sleep on it. FYI regulator was definitely working I could stop the boil if I wanted to playing with the dial or bring it right up to full boil.

My run was as follows
50ltr keg boiler charged with 30ltr 40% low wines (2x50lt TPW strips)
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Re: Insulating a boiler help

Postby benpandaae86 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:40 pm

I got a very slow stream at 297w

Is this the all power you where using

I have a insulated boiler i thought it got up to temp faster and made my shed cooler
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby Meatheadinc » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:22 pm

I just looked at your post - Still Spirits Super Reflux ideas / modifications, to try and get a grasp of what you are doing.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5299&p=143658#p143658

Please tell me that the extension tube does not allow contact with the garden hose joiner ? :scared-eek:

my guess is you have a water flow issue to your condenser . The pic (page 4 ) in the link above show heat stress on you hose from RC to PC. a kink n the tube would limit flow exiting the RC and explain why you have output at very little power. was the output warmer than normal ?

Cooling managemt still IMO are better controller with individual feeds to the RC and PC

I suggest you use your extension tube as the lower reducer in a twin reducer boka, use your spare tube for the top half of the of the bokahead/condenser and ditch the SS head.
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby Mad » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:20 pm

[quote="Meatheadinc"]
Please tell me that the extension tube does not allow contact with the garden hose joiner ? :scared-eek: [\quote="Meatheadinc"]

Bahah no it doesn't touch it meathead. It's been there since I started I always waited for someone to bring it up your the first. The copper pipe is slotted all the way over the little barb I sleeve the very end so I could tie the tube in place as it was a little of a loose fit.

You are right about the kink and I didn't even look at that it may be the cause will check it tomorrow. the hose was only just refitted tonight because I was running the setup in pot mode all day and had drainage connected so it might have been kinked when I replaced it fkkkk I'll be so unhappy if that was it! As for output temp. It was cool but it's winter here and a damn cool night output was hitting the parrot at 22deg

As for upgrades meat I have 3" pipe sitting there for boka and I also have a bunch of plates and caps half done for a glasser roflmao I just have no time or funds to finish em. That extension pipe just got knocked up at work cuz an apprentice needed skills
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby Mad » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:21 pm

benpandaae86 wrote:I got a very slow stream at 297w

Is this the all power you where using

I have a insulated boiler i thought it got up to temp faster and made my shed cooler

Yup Ben that was it that's why I was so confused it just doesn't add up lol it was just a bad night all round started off sht when I broke my alcometer in 30ltrs of low wines I should of pulled the pin then and there but I kept going. Lol 2nd mistake
Mad

Postby Mad » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:57 am

Looks like ur there meat. I actuslly had to bend down and look at the hose from underneath to see it was kinked. Im not sure its snough but it ould explain why i was only pulling like 90% or below. Ill get some new hose and while im there some splitters so i can control pc and reflux separately. Atleast thats where ill start for a couple of $ will be worth it.
Mad

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:07 am

If you wrapped the RC hose around the colomn 4-6 times and held it there with some insulation and cable ties ,it may increase your RC.s ability to knock down vapour.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Mad » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:13 pm

hillzabilly wrote:If you wrapped the RC hose around the colomn 4-6 times and held it there with some insulation and cable ties ,it may increase your RC.s ability to knock down vapour.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Ha i almost got them to tig a pipe round it to add more reflux but thought it wouldnt need it
Mad

Postby benpandaae86 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:23 pm

If your gonna run seperate water feeds run a couple of 6mm copper coils round your extension and soft solder them on

My extension has 1 full coil but if ya went bigger it would be better
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby Mad » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:28 pm

Yah gona see what i can come up with. I would have thort just raising the height of the original column n pc would have good effect on temp and output. I think hillz has me on to something about packing in the reduced area i pushing sll the pscking in fromcthe bottom pretty hard and fast it may have reatricted up in the reducer area where the 2 pipes join. Surely if my litttle reflux jacket can handle being down so close to the boiler previously it should have no problems being 1FT higher up or am i not thinking about it in the right way.. all thats really changed is the extension and aome added insulation as the control box is new but its just the enclosure thats changed. Going to try give it a run thursday night hopefully after atleast some new hose being added. Then source funds to buy all the boka gear i still need and be done with this little thing lol hsng it on the wall as a reminder
Mad

Return to Boilers & burners.