Stainless car gas tank

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Stainless car gas tank

Postby Rowey » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:45 pm

I picked up a SS car gas tank today from the scrap yard it is 85L and pretty heavy. Is something like this suitable to convert into a boiler/spirit storage? What sort of cleaning would be required? It has a 2inch cap where the inlet and outlet pipes go into the tank so once I get this of I can soak it with something to get the gas residue out. Any advice here would be good as I am a bit nervous mucking around with a gas tank.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rowey

equipment: Turbo 500, built a pot still, Boka. Currently building a 4 inch bubbler

Re: Stainless car gas tank

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:47 pm

G'day Rowey,
I've arc welded gas tanks in the past and all I did was pipe the exhaust of the ute into the tank for about an hour, blew it out with compressed air then did the welding job. That trick was told to me years ago and I have done a few and still got all my fingers toes etc :))
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Rowey » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:59 pm

Cheers Bryan,

I am thinking its still sealed and got gas in there as I can hear a little bit of liquid in the tank. I was thinking to drain the gas I could un do the fill point slowly to relieve the pressure as the fitting has a rubber seal and about 8 blots. Do you think that would do the trick?
Rowey

equipment: Turbo 500, built a pot still, Boka. Currently building a 4 inch bubbler

Postby sean_b1977 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:53 pm

Sounds like a bomb. Lol, gas, compressed air and an arc welder. Wear a full face helmet :))
sean_b1977

equipment: none as yet

Postby bayshine » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:58 pm

To be safe I would recommend draining then fill with water before any hot work is done
this will guarantee no bombs :handgestures-thumbupleft:
edit...carbon monoxide is not inert and is capable of burning in the right conditions :handgestures-thumbdown:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby rumdidlydum » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:04 pm

I would give it a blast with the gerny. Then with some car wash and water slosh it around rince and air dry.
Good score rowey
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Rowey » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:30 pm

Cheers fellas :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I guess the issue is actually trying to get the gas out. It looks like I will have to slowly undo the fitting with the inlet/outlet to try and get the pressure out. Once the pressure is out I can take off the fitting which will give me about a 2inch hole to soak/clean the inside.

Rum they have plenty of these SS tanks at the scrap yard so if the one I got today works out I will grab another 1 to make a storage drum :happy-partydance:
Rowey

Postby Triangle » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:11 pm

You will surprised how much gas is actually in an 'empty' tank! I did this years ago to convert a gas tank into a pressurised water container on my old truck. Took about 30 minutes to relieve the pressure at a low rate and still stank the whole back yard out. No welding for me, just drilling/taping etc but I would only work on it when all the volume is dispelled with water (or inert gas if you have access).

Now that I have more respect for the dangers and like my eyes, and face without blisters I wouldn't bother, I don't care how safe it 'can' be made.
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby Rowey » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:18 pm

Well I managed to drain the remaining gas from the tank and removed the sealing cap from the tank. Have filled it with water to push out the remaining gas, tomorrow I will take it to my mates workshop and give it a good steam clean and ask him the best way to make it safe to work on as he welds up our fuel tankers at work.
Then to decide how to make best use of it as a boiler :think:
Rowey

Postby kiwikeg » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Depending on the tanks design the baffles (internal deviders) might cause you a few problems.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Triangle » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:09 pm

I reckon he is talking stainless LPG tank.
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby Rowey » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:08 pm

I will try and upload a picture if I can work out how.
It is a cylinder type lpg tank, I have been washing it and soaking it with water seem to have got rid of the gas smell. Might have to try soaking it with napisan to see how that works out.
Rowey

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:23 pm

I might be fussy but I wouldn't use any container that had been used for poison or fuel storage for anything that I would go anywhere near drinking... :think:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby whiskeyshiner » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:11 am

Zak Griffin wrote:I might be fussy but I wouldn't use any container that had been used for poison or fuel storage for anything that I would go anywhere near drinking... :think:

:text-+1: no level of cleaning would satisfy me either
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby andybear » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:53 am

LPG is highly volatile so should flash off quite quickly. But be sure to boil it as part of your cleaning process to give the hydrocarbons a chance to go.
And also be sure not to reuse gaskets that may be on it. It sounds to me that your on the right track so far. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
How's the photos going?
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Plumby » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:58 pm

Mmmm whiskey with a hint of lpg does not interest me at all. Best of luck with the project mate hope it works out for you.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby andybear » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:51 pm

hey Rowey , I've been waiting for an update on your boiler build. Did you go ahead with it? I want to do the same and was following your build. Hope its worked out for you. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Rowey » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:07 pm

Here is a picture of the tank. I am still deciding how I will turn this into a boiler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rowey

Postby Professor Green » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:16 pm

That's a great tank but I'd be concerned that, being a fuel tank, it is not a food grade stainless.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Muppet » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:20 pm

Ok im going to be the outsider here, A. it's a boiler, I would doubt the vapour carries anything that a vinegar/Junkahol run won't fix, B, Food grade is a lower standard than pressure vessels so I would be comfortable there, I've never seen a stainless pressure vessel rust. I wouldn't like to be doing hot work on it but I have my reasons for that (seen shit go wrong in gas plants) I would use it as a boiler, looks like it's in great knick.
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Next

Return to Boilers & burners.