18 gallon keg ali or stainless

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

18 gallon keg ali or stainless

Postby captainmorgan36 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:30 pm

Hi guys on Saturday, I am driving over to pick this keg up. Its an old 18 gallon SA brewery keg.

I was trying to get a 50 litre but people on gumtree either didn't get back to me or sound terrible dodgy, if I had to put my money on it I would say those ones had definitely been stolen.

Anyway the 18 gallon keg looks to be in fair condition from the photos and in some ways its better than a 50l anyway.

I think the price is reasonable for a 18gal $60.

My only concern is is this keg definitely stainless steel or is it the bad kind of metal aluminium? Did they make many is substandard metal?
Am I right in assuming that beer kegs are made of 304 (18/8) and are not magnetic, how can I be certain, scratch it a see how easily is marks I guess!

Here are a couple of photos, if anyone has one of these kegs, perhaps you could advise. The seller says they think it is stainless.

Another question, what is the best think to do with the side entry on these type of keg?

I think I will turn it upside down and use the threaded hole for a drain outlet (anyone know if this is a bsp?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
captainmorgan36

equipment: 2" pot 50l keg

Re: 18 gallon keg ali or stainless

Postby Undertaker » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:00 pm

Nah your good to go. Thats S/s

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:46 am

That drain on the bottom isn't particularly suitable for a drain, you'll never get the last litre or so out... The side hole can be filled in or turned into a view port.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby captainmorgan36 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:45 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:That drain on the bottom isn't particularly suitable for a drain, you'll never get the last litre or so out... The side hole can be filled in or turned into a view port.

Now I have the keg, I can see exactly what you mean, the bottom inch and a half would never really drain no matter how you angle the keg.

Its condition is fine, could just benefit from a polish. The plug in there says May 91 so I am guessing it was lasted filled 25 years ago.
captainmorgan36

equipment: 2" pot 50l keg

Postby bear » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:55 pm

I have 3 of these for brewing beer and yes, they are definitely stainless. Strong and heavy as hell.

Best to cut that hole out and fit your ferrule to that end, given there is no gully like the other end (on some 18 Gal, there is a low point or 'gully' this is where I fitted my valves.)
bear

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still

Return to Boilers & burners.