Quinces

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Quinces

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:28 pm

G'Day Guy's,

YAY :happy-partydance: finally got the yeast pitched :laughing-rolling:

So in total 4 15 litre stock pots were done to stew the quince and I used 8Kg of inverted sugar to get a SG of 1069 :handgestures-thumbupleft: PH a tad under 5 and 30C so the yeasties can get a head start. So easily had over 20 litres of quince mush and got most of the cut sections broken up by using my paint mixer with the quince at 65C.

So with the full fermemter I'll do 2 1/2 runs and use some feints to bump the ABV in the boiler so a better yield is to be had.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:43 am

G'Day Guy's,
Decided to do a gravity check on this ferment and it's down to 1001 :scared-eek: so off to the shed shortly to take another reading and me thinks it's ready to run :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now due to the amount of fruit in this ferment I will do doing a piggyback generation to get the rest of the flavour out of this ferment. I do have that 30 micron filter I made so only the liquid is drained out by siphon and inverting the sugar in the hot slops after the run may just give this project that added zing.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:27 am

G'Day Guy's,
As others have said doing Quince is a different fruit so don't expect the norm :laughing-rolling:

Set the siphon and noway could I get it going and even tried my magnetic pump but still no go :angry-banghead:

So with an empty fermenter sitting beside the other one decided to rack the wash so put a BIAB one the other fermenter and just tightened up the cord so it would support the weight then transferred the wash over. Now on trying to pick this BIAB forget it :laughing-rolling: so just moved the fermenter under a beam and set up my comealong to hold the weight of the bag where I rotated it to give the mush a good squeeze. The end result a plastic bucket full of quince mush and close to a full boiler charge :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It has been awhile but a Sunday arvo distilling sounds the go.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:45 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well took 3.2 litres to 85% and the first 1.2 litres were taken in 200 ml cut jars to check for heads, now i leave the cuts for 2 days so the angels can have a share then I reckon there will be close to 5 litres for aging.

Now with my cooling water being so cold like at 11C I had to have the needle just cracked to get a slow stream so basically started at 8.30am and walked down the hill after finishing just after 5pm. So couple that with the stewing over a long weekend and now the hurry up and wait begins :teasing-tease:

some of this is going into Hare Balls along with my other spirits so the fun can begin.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Bob9863 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:03 am

I like to run my still slow, but that's a long run.

You should love it, it's got a flavour all its own.
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:14 pm

Bob9863 wrote:I like to run my still slow, but that's a long run.

You should love it, it's got a flavour all its own.

Ok timeline for the quince

8.30 open up shed and have wake dram Chilli whitedog of course :laughing-rolling:
8.45 open up fermenter stir down the fruit and get the same FG reading
8.50 to 10.00 try to get siphon going and finally admit defeat so go and get the magnetic pump and setup only to find it won't work :angry-banghead:
10.00-11.30 Rack the quince into my spare fermenter using a one lite glass beaker, tighten up the BIAB again so it will hold the weight of the quince. Once the wash was transferred a feeble attempt at picking up the BIAB proved another solution was needed so carefull picked up the 60 litre fermenter and lowered it to the gound then moved it under a beam then setup my comealong to support the weight of the bag
11.30- 11.45 siphon the wash then noticed it had stopped as the inlet had moved up so using my 15 litre stock poured the rest of the wash into the boiler and fired it up.
1.10 first output so filled a 250ml glass for the fore shots then back into reflux where all 4 plates fully loaded and the filth on the bottom plate is nearly all gone now :laughing-rolling:
found the output was jumpy so setup my external parrot with my 4" copper funnel catching the output, it sat on 92-93% for the whole run and when I saw it drop to 90% put it back in reflux for 25 minutes to compress the tails then proceed to get another litre out before it dropped again. Put seperate cut jar/s in place until the output hit 88% then a moccona jar for collecting tails. Noticed the burner had totally lost it's blue flame so called it a day. as the gas bottle was just about empty
Looked at the clock 5.00
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegies