Figs

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Figs

Postby crow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:10 pm

I don't really just I don't have a still yet suitable for distilling this ,got a keg here pretty sure its the same as one I see on here getting the spear removed (bokka build) or something like that its a L&N keg anyway I've never had a go at this so I'll see how I get on :?
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Kimbo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:24 pm

Gday Croweater,
sound like your on a winner here. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
we are all a patient lot here, so we'll wait for you to build a still before we PM you with our postal addresses so you can send samples :mrgreen:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:45 pm

but wont it make the envelopes soggy and hard to seal #-o :laughing-rolling: BTW do you think I should reuse the lees just thinking those 2 types of yeast might get the next one to take off like a shot
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Hey CE,I did a pretty similar thing with mangos :D :D If it turns out anything like the 'mango rum' did you will be very happy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Don't be in too big a rush to run it,let it settle,all the solids and shit will settle to the bottom of the fermenter,go and grab yourself a bilge pump or similar,and when you're ready to run it through your still slowly lower it down until you've got most of the liquid out of the fermenter.Next comes the pain of the exercise,once most of the clearish liquid is removed,grab some fly screen and put it over a bucket and secure it,then slowly tip the solids and shit onto it and let the remaining liquid drain through,if you're like me give it a bit of a helping hand 8-}
After you've drained most of the liquid out of it,grab one of the cooks sheets out of the cupboard,don't let her catch you though,mine did :laughing-rolling: pour the solids into this,I cut mine into 1m squares,apparently you shouldn't do this with Egyptian sheets,fucked of I know why :think: Anyway pour the solids into this and give it a good wringing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I ran my mango wash through the bubbler and the stuff didn't last 2 weeks,fkn good gear :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Kimbo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:03 pm

croweater wrote:BTW do you think I should reuse the lees just thinking those 2 types of yeast might get the next one to take off like a shot

Yes you can, add a little water to keep the yeast happy while your stillin', disolve your sugar as you did the first time, let cool and pitch on the lees ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Yeah CE,you could use the lee's for the next ferment I suppose,I didn't though,don't worry about rushing to run the fermented wash,if you've got an airlock on it it won't go off,just make sure there is water in it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby crow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:10 pm

the cook fucked off a couple of yrs ago (doesn't stop her from tellin me what I should be doing every second day or more) :roll: I know just the thing doona cover just got to make sure its not one of the kids or she'll letting me know :violence-stickwhack: PS I ran out of room so its in a 44 with a sheet tied over it for now
crow

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:27 pm

Ok then,when it's finished fermenting,let it sit for a few days,then pump it into the boiler,and do the rest of the shit,the only trouble is that there'll be a lot of sediment and shit in there,you using gas or electric? Don't matter two fucks,it'll season your boiler :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Mac had a photo of the inside of his boiler here somewhere,as Larry would say 'had some funky funk happening' :laughing-rolling:
It'll be right mate,get into it :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby crow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:46 pm

yeah seen that eww , most likely a gas burner at this stage as I have it here . Thinking of making a 1200mm liebig so the product is well away from the open flame , also like the idea of being able to adjust the heat I,m throwing at it instantly at the simple turn of a gas tap
crow

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:50 pm

If you want heat,check out the 747 :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Just ask SD,I think his missus banned him from using it :naughty:
Cane Toad

Postby crow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:04 pm

747 isn't that a jet engine :shock: I've just got a moderate sized cast ion camp type burner . Dad has a huge fucking thing we use to use for boiling and bending wood yrs ago but I forgot to ask his for it , going to say he'll never use it but he got a bit too interested watching me run the still while I was there
crow

Postby R-sole » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:26 am

Yes, it should be ok for weeks or months if there is no infectio and it's kept sealed. he wants to leave it till he has finnished a pot still Frank.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:56 am

the plastic 44 gal they store/ship juice concentrate should be ok to store wine for a while I'd think . I mean that stuffs like battery acid , just the yuppies next door work for Mc Cains bet they'd use em thinking they could get me one :D
crow

Postby crow » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:57 am

haven't caught up with the neighbors yet , shit and corruption next lot of figs are ready to put down ran out of room . This stuff looks way to promising to waste fucking hell might have to dig into my lousy bag and buy more containers , cripes alive more expense to the management :cry: . visited me old mate yesterday he had 2 18 gal kegs with the tops cut out and used as pot plant pots :doh: like seeing a gothic chapel being converted into public loos just plain wrong
crow

Postby crow » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Update : Ok the fig wash from the first batch looks like its brewed out and clearing . I punched the cap down and took a gravity reading , Not Happy Jan it's reading about 095 way the hell higher than I expected . I'll take another reading when it settles if its near that still well shit looks to me like a stalled ferment :angry-banghead: .That'll piss me off , had this many many yrs ago with Shiraz and bock beer can't remember how I restarted it except to say it didn't work with the bock :puke-huge: ah well Granny used it for her beir kuchen (Cake)
crow

Postby R-sole » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:47 pm

What did you think it would get too? :whistle:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:00 pm

5Star wrote:What did you think it would get too? :whistle:

I was thinking between 1030 + 1000 , just what I imagined it would be of cause I'm just surmising with no experience or data with on this stuff . In other words NFI :)) but this is still way way higher than the starting gravity of most beers PS :oops: measurements should be read as 1095 ect :doh:
crow

Postby R-sole » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:48 pm

1095? what did it start at?

Not making sense to me. Are you sure you didn't have some solids in your sample tube/
R-sole

Postby crow » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Well that what I'm thinking as I knocked the cap down first .i left my hydrometer in SA and am using my ex father inlaws , dodgy looking thing has a plastic tube thingy around it EDIT : heated the ridiculous protector tube off the hydrometer wash has settled nice to see the cap is staying down and its reading around the 1030 mark which is the top edge of what I was expecting :handgestures-thumbupleft: seeing how it started at around the 1120+ mark
Last edited by crow on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crow

Postby R-sole » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:14 pm

If it tastes like wine rather than cordial it's about finnished. leave it a few days or a week to clear.

Go to the calculators in the begiiners section and have a look how much alc a 1095 wash will produce :roll:

Then try and figure how you thought it had finnished and stuck.
R-sole

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegies