Figs

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Figs

Postby crow » Fri May 25, 2012 2:18 pm

now these are the steps I've taken to ferment this wash , the best method I've come up with so far EDIT :angry-banghead: far canal ok it posted in reverse order , I'm not redoing it so scroll down and work your way up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Fri May 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Okay some more pictures of how things have been progressing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Tue May 29, 2012 7:21 pm

Okay going to try racking this latest wash/wine tonight hoping it makes it clearer tomorrow to re rack or draw off depending on how well it clears . I'll post how it goes :handgestures-thumbupleft:EDIT well racked off 50% , clear as wheat beer going to let it settle a bit and see if I can get another quarter before having to strain it . This wash is by far the most Superior and I would not be ashamed to serve it up as home made wine and can only put this down to the yeast used . There may well be other yeast suitable But this is the one I can recommend , very happy so far
crow

Postby crow » Tue May 29, 2012 9:29 pm

I got some around 3/4 of the wash out before the sediment stirred up so thats about 1/2 the wash better than any other effort . the last quarter is straining though fly wire now and if its settled in the morning I'll re rack . I'm sure its more than 50 ltrs so it will need to be stripped in two runs anyway and I sure as hell won't be over filling it again after the last exciting adventures of how to blow ya self of the face of the earth. ;-) EDIT Ok weird result I have about 1/3 of the normal amount of sediment , I'm going to guess the yeast helped break down the solids :? does that sound right ? , same amount of figs used . The only other variable might be riper figs I suppose but not that much riper . Like to know the answer because the sediment is the worst thing with this stuff , anything to reduce it is a step in the right direction I'd say
crow

Postby R-sole » Wed May 30, 2012 2:33 am

Source yourself some pectinaze enzyme if you want to get the most of the fruit and break it down as much as possible.
Plus, as you've found, use the ripest fruit possible. Best flavour/most sugar.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Wed May 30, 2012 2:47 am

yes I see i didn't include it in my latest method but that was an oversight I put around a tea spoon in as i have with all of them . I could put more in as per instruction but was told this might increase the production of methanol so I'm wary of going overboard with it . the pectin methanol thing is something I know very little about apart from a HD link someone sent me
crow

Postby crow » Wed May 30, 2012 11:14 pm

This is what the wine should look like , its lighter than beer maybe like a mosel in colour and the flavor is well dry very dry . Hmmm dryer than yesterday :think: better run this tomorrow I think EDIT :twisted: BD747 test run :twisted:
crow

Postby crow » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Ok just put down the last fig wash for the season , they've been in the fridge for awhile so they're pretty mushy . I've racked the second to last wash ready to run tomorrow with any luck . The biggest hass with figs I've found is the incredible amount of sediment , anyway I've tried many ways to clear and strain this stuff . The first 2/3 rds comes off looking like a beer but the last 3rd is where the fun begins , anyway the best fastest way I've found is to place a think towel over a bucket and pour the wash 2 ltrs at a time through it . As you get further in to the thinker sediment and lees wring the towel out to seperate the wine from the mark , flick the mark out of the towel and repeat . It doesn't take that long , is alot easier , faster and cleaner than fly wire and letting it drip through a doona cover took days with the result being no better
crow

Figs

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi rez photos man! I want process photos! I have an enormous fig tree and I want instructional photos from your experience.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:01 am

Yeah I've only got those ones from 8 posts back , they'er in reverse order but they show most of the steps . If this turns out a decent spirit after the spirit run I will post a concise start to finish method at the very start of this thread or in a new thread so named . I think I've only mentioned it in PM's but the low wines are showing every sign of becoming a really interesting and enjoyable brandy . It has a definite brandy flavor you get with most fruits complemented with a light fig flavor , a similar fig flavor you'd get in fig jam . But there are some slight unpleasant after tastes that hopefully are removed in the spirit run
crow

Postby crow » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:10 am

Ok the very last batch is clearing so as soon as it clears I'll be stripping it In 2 runs as I have maybe 70 odd ltrs to do . Then the spirit fun as so as time permits :dance: , been a lot of work over a long time I sure hope its worth it
crow

Figs

Postby Sam. » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:42 am

Will be good to hear the end result crow
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:29 am

Racked the wash today , as always 1/2 came off clear as beer and the rest had to be strained through a towel . I have found nothing seems to clear the strained stuff fully . I have a 20 ltr bucket of this stuff some from the last run some from the run before and I've frozen it let it sit for weeks added gelatine and the top inch or 2 is lightly clearer than when I started so fucked if I know . Anyway it comes out the still the same just have to watch for puking that's all . Admittedly I've not tried the commercial clearing agents as I wanted to keep the method as cost effective as possible
crow

Postby crow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Ok ppl I'm getting close to doing my spirit run on this stuff , just wondering what ppls thought are on how to run this eg: 747 , my camp burner with HP reg maybe . I heard to slow will tend to smear fractions but am a bit worried the 747 will pull to much shit through , Opinions welcome
crow

Postby Kimbo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi Crow,
you are better off doing your spirit runs slower, if your worried about smearing it will be worse if you do it too quick.
Just keep an eye on it and make the necessary cuts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Figs

Postby Rumdrinker » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:42 pm

If you do run the 747 be even more careful you don't have any solids go through & cause a blockage in your outlet. With the amount of heat it throws out things could turn to shit real quick.
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby crow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Rumdrinker wrote:If you do run the 747 be even more careful you don't have any solids go through & cause a blockage in your outlet. With the amount of heat it throws out things could turn to shit real quick.

Ha read pg 6 of this thread , Dude there won't be any solids :handgestures-thumbupleft: I try not to fall for the same traps twice especially when they scare the shit outa me ;-)
crow

Figs

Postby Rumdrinker » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:03 pm

Ha read pg 6 of this thread , Dude there won't be any solids :handgestures-thumbupleft: I try not to fall for the same traps twice especially when they scare the shit outa me ;-)[/quote]

Yeah mate, I read that post & shivered at the thought of what could have been.
Play safe
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby Frank » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:15 pm

'slow and steady wins the race' ;-)
Frank

Postby crow » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:41 pm

:dance: just did a 45 ltr strip in 1 1/2 hrs down to 15% no puking or any horse shit like that , oh yeah :D . Now I have just 30 odd ltrs of murky crap from the last few washes to run and its the spirit run . If I can get the boiler to cool down quick enough I'll run it today still , might not be as much fun as it has fines suspended in it and I can see myself having to power down with it . Man this shit better be worth it
crow

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegies