Mango Spirit Methods/Ideas/Stream of Thought

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Mango Spirit Methods/Ideas/Stream of Thought

Postby Br00ksy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:05 pm

Hellooo there
Strap in, this could be a bit of a read..... :-B
Ive read the mango brandy help thread and it seems to be the consensus of the following
1. Remove stone
2. Ferment with skin and flesh
3. Add a small amount of sugar (3kg or less)
4. Pectinase may increase the amount of methanol in your wash. (Im sure i read a paper that says it does in the distillers library 500mb zip file. Something like a artisans distillers basic guide)

Currently ive got a wash of 7kg's mango flesh, 12L's mango nectar long life juice, 3 mango cheeks and 3kg white sugar (dissolved in a 6L part of the mango nectar). This has been fermenting since the end of january and is still going due to the below....
Ive split the wash into 2 30L fermenter's and have been slowly pouring the mango syrup ive made (via Oleo Sacrum in a 4L jar.... Its a mango cheek, covered in white sugar, mango cheek, covered with white sugar and so on untill the jar is half filled). I will be continuing to do this and adding a little bit of filtered rain water each time untill i reach 20L in each fermenter to run through my bubbler with maybe only 2 plates....

I will also be accumulating a second jar of this syrup from now until i have 4L of the stuff then its onto the next jar :handgestures-thumbupleft:. Ive got 2 big bags of skins in the freezer from all that peeling so i hope i can build up a good portion of this stuff to use :D

My questions to any whomst :teasing-tease: it may interest are:

1. Would using the syrup in a rum wash in place of sugar be any good? Has anyone tried this?
If not ill give it a go. Could end up being very tasty :think:

2. Would adding this syrup right before a distillation be a waste? Flavour would be there for sure but the potential for this syrup to make some juicy sugar substitute for a TPW is huge... Mango vodka anyone.... Think I just answered my own question there... On my to do list!

3. Would chucking a mango skin on a bubble plate make it a ghetto gin basket? Another way to infuse mango flavour? I will be giving this a go for my sac run tomorrow so ill let anyone know if theres any smell noticeable.
Where to put it though? Top or bottom plate.... :think: Any suggestions on that?

4. Has anyone else tried Oleo Sacrum syrup as a substitute for regular sugar in fruit washes before at all?
Could be a good way to cram as much flavorful into the wash as physically possible :think:
Last edited by Br00ksy on Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Br00ksy

equipment: "Foresight" Mac 4 SSG 50lt Keg boiler 2x 2400W elements
T500 with a basic pot still head

Re: Mango Spirit Methods/Ideas/Stream of Thought

Postby bluc » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:49 pm

I think if you want to add syrup without fermenting then it needs ro be in vapour path not in boiler. A skin on each plate may work just dont stuff it and block vapor path..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Br00ksy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:05 pm

Thanks bluc! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Ill try a small bit on each plate
Br00ksy

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:50 pm

You would prob get a degree of carry over if you put it in boiler but would prob get heaps puking too
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:34 pm

I am very interested in your experiments.

Points I would raise, under enter sugars in the still may (and in my case defs. will) cause puking.
Putting things onto bubble plates could/would cause blockages which can be a pita to clean up for potentially little gain...

Would be interesting to know the effect of fruit juice instead of sugar on Rum....
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Br00ksy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:29 am

Heres another long one ladies and gents
Ok so ive ran my 3kg sugar and bakers yeast sac run with a 2cm x 3cm (roughly) triangles of mango cheek on each plate

Heres what they look like after the run, with the top being the top plate and the bottom being the bottom plate
Mangoes in order of plates.jpg

The first mango stip looks like this up close
1st plate mango.jpg

Its this weird grey yellow colour and after giving it a tentative lick i found it has no mango flavour at all. The texture in the hand is like it has been bleached and then started to be sundried. Slightly wet but not really.

The rest of the mango strips look like this
rest of mangoes.jpg

They still retain much of the texture they had when they came out of the freezer (aka that mango skin insides slimyness) but again all the flavour has been stripped.
As for the mess there wasnt much to speak of... Just a tiny amount of mango fibre (maybe 1 or strands) No big deal! :shock:

As for the distillate that came out from this....
It has a slight mango sweetnes aromoa and (with a tiny fingertip dip, i know i shouldnt drink this cleaning run shit) a slight mango taste too.

So this could be a good way to get that extra bit of mango flavour into a mango brandy. or to give a hint of mango to a neutral! :think: Will be experimenting more with this method and will let everyone know how it goes.

In combination with a mango wash, oleo sacrum syrup poured into the wash with water added to keep the yeast kicking along, a possible gin basket and a straight up whole mango in your finished spirit for 3+ months you could end up with a spirit bursting with mango flavour! (Ive got a mango sitting in a jar of a feints run spirit that tasted before the mango like butterscotch and its starting to get good now)
whole mango in jar.jpg

A gin basket? in a column? Without a carter head? How'd you figure on doing that Br00ksy?

The answer is tea
A tea infuser
SS304 stainless tea infuser
ss grade.jpg

$11.00
dangle outside.jpg

Its an idea so crazy it just might work

Its small enough not to cause any danger of a blockage and vapour should just be able to flow around it (may not work because of this).
The only thing im worried about is if the chain is SS304
If not ill get some SS304 wire and figure out a way to dangle it in there

This would be amazing if this works
Maybe not but maybe it will

Ill give it a go on some shitty sugar wash that i dont care about. Ill put a few bits of mango skin in the tea infuser and dangle it.... ORRRRR *Brainwave*
ill just rest it on a plate...

Maybe even a "tea" infuser at every plate sitting on the tops of the bubbler caps packed to the gills with mango cheek :teasing-tease:

Ive only got one at the moment but im guessing that 4 is better than 1 for infusion....

Its probably going to play hell with the lovely vapour flow design that Mac and Andrew have put so much thought into at 5 star but hey... You sold me it :laughing-rolling:
You cant stop me now! 8-}

@EZI
Yea mate im keeen to try the syup as a sugar substitue for rum. That on the list when i have enough of the stuff
Only problem with oleo is that it takes its sweet *pun intended* time to suck that mango goodness out!

Alright enough late night rambling
Cheers Peeps! :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Ill keep you all updated on this thread
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Br00ksy on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Br00ksy

Postby Br00ksy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:38 pm

UPDATE
Ok so i was pouring the contents of my sugarwash cleaning run into my car washerbottle (about 3L of waste) and it seems to have absolutely blossomed with mango smell
like a ripe mango right to my nose :wtf:
Too bad i cant drink it! :violin:
I think if anyone has a bubble plate they should give this a go at least once on a TPW/neutral
You dont need much skin. Maybe 1 or two mangos worth of cheeks to be able to do it 4 or more times!

Cant say what kind of longevity this smell has but i thought id let you all know
Cheers peeps :obscene-drinkingchug:
Last edited by Br00ksy on Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Br00ksy

Tea infuser as a gin basket packed with skins for mango spir

Postby Br00ksy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:19 pm

Ok update time :techie-typing:
So i ran my mango wash on tuesday night through my Mac 4 SSG "Foresight" (10.03)
I crammed the tea infuser full of mango skins (a mistake) :sad:
89686863_162956401370845_3925458881429372928_n.jpg

I then put it on the top plate (another mistake) :doh:
89549538_2757156551077452_1120333788140797952_n.jpg

I got 10 jars with tails smell starting around jar 8-9 with jar 10 being super strong smell and stopped there
I left the cuts jars to air for 24hrs and tasted them proofed down

It was not the results I was hoping for
It seems that tails taste actually starts around jar 6 with jars 4 and 5 having a strange hybrid taste of heads and tails :puke-huge:
I poured all of it into a separate feints jar. I will probably reflux the shit outta it at a later date for an hour or 2 to make neutral (its so bad i cant really justify running it with any other mango stuff i will make).

The most mango flavor was in the heads
I suspect that this is because the plate you put the skins on its the portion of the run they will show up in. Therefore :-B 2nd plate from the top or lower would be optimal.

Its so obvious when you think about it :doh:

I also overloaded with skins and not let the flesh be exposed to enough vapour. Only the ends of the skins leading to that weird yucky taste.

They also were not nearly as well stripped as the previous single small bit of skin in my cleaning run experiment on this thread
89271155_486577502250126_9049641086472945664_n.jpg

I think when it comes to this idea less is more or just dont pack it super tight...

For botanical's this idea of a tea infuser could work but for fleshy things like fruit you'd need to be very sparing to allow vapor to strip the flesh and skins. The way I packed it no vapour could get inside and grab that flavour.

Maybe a bit of dried flesh in the tea infuser could do well here?

Maybe having just one small bit of skin on each plate would be better bar the top plate. My cleaning run smelt delicious using this stratergy

Oh well! Here's to next time!
Plans listed below after TLDR

TLDR
Too much, too tightly packed and on the wrong plate results in a poor unusable spirit. Use skin sparingly and never on the top plate as the higher alcohols that accumulate there and strip flavour into foreshots and heads. Use 2nd plate from the top or lower.
Packing a SS304 tea infuser limits your vapour to skin surface area. Youre likely better off with just naked skins that go for a little skinny 8-} dip in some high proof alcohol. For fiddly little botannicals youre better of with the infuser....maybe.

Next Experiments I will try:

1. A TPW using standard Mac column strategy, reflux 10-20mins then squeak out fores and heads slowly, with skins on all but the top plate. If this skins strategy works for infusion then there no need for all that tedious mucking about in hyperspace... wait I mean peeling mangoes. :-B

2.Running in full pot mode with skins on the bottom 3 plates not the top and stripping hard and fast. This may the limit the amount of heads contact.
PREDTICTION: This might not just limit heads contact though and apply to the whole run and not impart any meaningful amount of flavour into the distillate. Im hoping it will be a cumulative effect that bleeds across all parts of the run more evenly

3. 2x20L of "new" no backset MacRum (dont want to waste that goodness) to see how that goes with the mango skins too on the bottom three plates
Im imagining that if that stuff turns out good straight off the still then I am salivating at the thought of it being on toasted french for 5 months :drool:

4. Running a TPW on a long (30mins to 60min) reflux with mixed sizes of skins on the bottom three.

5. Removing the top plate, put skins on plates and rerun experiments 1 and 2 and continuing to remove plates untill theres only 1.

Ill let you all know how these experiments go. It will probably take a month or so to get all this ""data" together and compare the results.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Br00ksy

Postby EziTasting » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:23 pm

Is there anything stopping you from combining all the cuts back into the boiler with the low winds and then rerun it?!?
EziTasting

Postby Br00ksy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:48 pm

@ Ezi
I only have 3.5L of mango spirit that was feints. I dont have any more mangoes on hand to make another batch the same way i did before. I will try with mango nectar (long life juice from supermarket) and mango oleo sacrum syrup to bump up the SG along with some skins in the ferment.

If I had more mango spirit on hand Id run it for sure once I had a decent amount of low wines.

As i said before though, itd be really neat for anyone who has a bubbler to be able to run a TPW and use a small amount of skin to get a masive amount of flavour into the spirit.

Then chuck a whole mango into it to store for a couple of months at higher than normal proof.... 70% maybe?

Real cheap and could work great!
Last edited by Br00ksy on Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Br00ksy

Postby Br00ksy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:34 pm

Ok so update time

I ran a batch recently that consisted of the following
20L of long life mango nectar (from the supermarket)
3L mango syrup collected from mango skins via oleeo sacrum
2 mango skin cheeks
Fermented with still spirits whisky yeast
And
A wild strain that somehow was surviving on the surface of said oleo saccrum juice
Nuts :wtf:

I put a skin on each of my plates bar the top one

Long story short i got the same result of tails taste throughout the run after airing
The smell was great, like a fresh mango but the taste was awful :angry-banghead:

I think the skins on the plates isnt a good idea
Ill try the next lot with no skins on the plates

Perhaps flesh is the go to have in the plates in a tea infuser

Tldr
Skins taste bad when all the flavour of the flesh had been stripped by the starting of the run

Another variable i have not tried yet is running with only 2 plates and full pot still mode

Summed up
Next time i do a mango wash ill follow the KISS principle
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

Ill stick with olelo saccrum sugar in the ferment and mango nectar
2 plates for distillation and full pot still mode

Cheers peeps!
Br00ksy

Postby EziTasting » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:37 pm

Excellent effort. I am surprised that the longline nectar would work in fermentation because of all the preservatives, but it opens up more doors!
EziTasting

Postby Br00ksy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:05 pm

Well its been a while since I updated this so here's the long story short

Probably your best bet for mango flavour is to make a long life fruit juice wash using mango nectar and 3kg of white sugar and all your usual added nutrients (Epsom salt, tomato paste or just go with a yeast bomb). This tastes even better in my opinion if you just make a rum wash and sub out the water for mango nectar and back off the sugar a little

Howver I Don't recommend generationing this
Unless you like the taste of weirdly semi burnt mango :wtf:
Get to gen 5gem for rum before you add the mango nectar

Its almost there in terms of mango. Its sweet but not quite mangoey
To add the round big flavour of mango I recommend getting some mango skins (chuck the flesh in the freezer for your smoothies its a massive pain to strain out to put in the still) and then layer sugar on top of them. Then a new layer of mango skins, then sugar and so on until you fill your jar or run out of skins

Use this sugar and the syrup created in a tpw or rum wash. Creates a lovely candy mango rum taste in a rum wash

Ideas for the future as I haven't done this yet:
To finish it off maybe you'd need to steep a few mangoes in the strip for a tpw
Then steep more mangoes in a whole heap of the resulting 90% neutral and distill again like the Europeans do for Apple schnapps and all other liquers.
Last edited by Br00ksy on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Br00ksy

Postby Br00ksy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:42 pm

Side note, if you have any nice aged rum you can just punch a few holes in a mango and steep for 2 weeks then filter and you've got mango rum. Probably the simplest way
Br00ksy

Postby dans.brew » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:04 pm

Br00ksy wrote:Side note, if you have any nice aged rum you can just punch a few holes in a mango and steep for 2 weeks then filter and you've got mango rum. Probably the simplest way

Could also try a kveik yeast strain that speaks of mango or citrus.
I did a whiskey last year with kveik yeast for something different... was suppose to add citrus notes along with earthy tones. Was amazed at the outcome, certainly had the citrusy notes.. taste very nice for something a bit different. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby MattSmith » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:41 am

I just came across this thread and thought I'd add an idea for the process.

I recently did a lemon vodka per the Tried & Proven recipe. I wasn't getting as much lemon carryover as I would have liked so after running the heads I turned the power off and then dumped a handful of extra lemon peel into the top of the reducer that I've got above the RC.

The result came through pretty well and cleanup was a breeze. You could do the same thing with some chopped up mango skin.
MattSmith
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 50L Milk Can
FSD 4" pot (3" PC) with packed section & RC
Still Spirits Air Still

Return to Fruit & Vegies