Vodka from Grapes

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Vodka from Grapes

Postby hjubm2 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:28 pm

Hey guys,

Looking for some thoughts/advice. Being harvest time for the grapes around here & the wine economy being how it is I have access to a whole heap of grapes that would otherwise end up on the ground. The plan currently is to turn whatever I can in to Vodka but due to the volume of grapes I'm looking for an easy way to process them... the question is, is there any problems with the grape seeds being broken/minced into the juice if it is being fermented & distilled into vodka? I know for wine/brandy this is a big no no due to the tannins etc but is there a problem when the final problem will be distilled into flavourless Vodka?

What's everyones thoughts?

Thanks
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Re: Vodka from Grapes

Postby Wellsy » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:03 am

I suspect you would be better off with out them mate as you might not be able to strip all the tannin flavour out.

If you have heaps perhaps try straining your wash through a BIAB bag, not sure if it will catch the seeds or not
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby hjubm2 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:29 am

Cheers Wellsy.

Yea thought that may be the case. Was hoping I could use a meat grinder to speed up the process then ferment everything before distilling with skins etc in the boiler to get as much out of them as possible but of course that would most likely break up the seeds hence the question. Might have to find a bigger press then since I may have a couple tonnes to process :laughing-rolling:
hjubm2

Postby Wellsy » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:39 am

Maybe a garden mulcher from the big green shed :)
Might bust them up enough to get the juice out.
Perhaps freeze to extract the juice. Need a bloody big freezer.
Perhaps a deal could be done with the vineyard to squeeze them for a few bottles.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby hjubm2 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:47 am

Garden mulcher would do the same as a meat mincer I would have thought & crush the seeds. I did have a press, crusher etc lined up but looks like it may have fallen through so need to come up with plan B atm...
hjubm2

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:23 pm

Do it on the seeds they do for grappa...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby hjubm2 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:17 pm

bluc wrote:Do it on the seeds they do for grappa...

True but I'm guessing the seeds haven't been broken/split. Plan was to just mince them all up & dump everything into the fermenter then once done fermenting dump everything into the boiler & distill the skins, seeds & all but still not sure if there would be any real effect from the tannins of the seeds that won't be removed from distillation...
hjubm2

Postby hjubm2 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:36 pm

Ended up hand picking about 500kg of grapes & crushing/pressing them yesterday. Ended up with about 200L of juice. Didn't take as long as I thought to process them... still a bloody lot of grapes on the vines though (prob close to 2 tonnes still) & been offered more grapes as well so might need to do a bit more... now just need to work out what yeast to use. Was going to use EC1118 but I don't have enough so contemplating using the AUS-05 from the group buy awhile back but not sure how it will work with the different type of sugar... failing that it will be a wild yeast ferment I think
hjubm2

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:11 pm

Eh mate I've still got a about 1/2 a big moccona jar left sitting in the fridge of EC1118 yeast so if you to come and grab it it will get over over the line for the yeast. Just order a new brick of the yeast and I'll go ya halves :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As I am working away thru the week it will be awhile before I need that yeast so it could work fine down the track.

Cheers Bryan
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Fruit & Vegies