veg nutrients

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

veg nutrients

Postby Lupus » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:08 am

Crow,
How did you process the carrots in order to get it into a fermentable state?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Lupus

equipment: Total N00bie with lst to learn

Re: veg nutrients

Postby crow » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:38 am

I haven't tried but I know of ppl who have and have read about it could see if I can find it if ya really interested, I got a felling they dice them and boil them. The distillery that comes to mind is in South Africa
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

veg nutrients

Postby Lupus » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Well, the idea is pretty similar to vodka from potatoes. I just have not read up on it, but dicing and boiling does not sound too far off. Possibly use of an enzyme to help convert some starch to sugar, on top of the naturally occurring sugar?
Lupus

Postby crow » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:48 pm

yeah pretty sure carrots are full of fermentable sugars
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:08 am

4 days and it's under 1030, looking and smelling good. Stopped smelling like chicken soup now and has some good nose hair burning fumes happening :))
googe

Postby SBB » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 pm

googe wrote:Hmmmmm hairy armpit woman :puke-huge:

Spider smugglers
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:33 pm

SBB wrote:Spider smugglers

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
crow

Postby googe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:04 pm

Its down to 993 now, still bubbling slowly but not for long. Smells pretty good,
googe

Postby googe » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:21 pm

Down to 987 this morning, still a few bubbles, getting really clear to. I'm going to run this one tomorrow just because I'm dieing to see how it comes out lol. The other one, which is totally identical to this one I ll let sit for another week and see what it clears like and if the end product is any dif. Happy hippies.
googe

Postby Sam. » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Sounds like its fermented out well then :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby googe » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:41 pm

Really happy with how it's worked out Sam :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Looking forward to stilling it.
googe

Postby googe » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Running the veg stock wash atm, its by far the best smelling and tasting Nuet ive done!!. Its got almost zero smell!. I'm stripping it though.
googe

Postby googe » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks to the missus hard work I've got plenty of veg nuets to try :dance: . can't give her.all the credit though, I built the bed :))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby crow » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:03 pm

googe wrote:Running the veg stock wash atm, its by far the best smelling and tasting Nuet ive done!!. Its got almost zero smell!. I'm stripping it though.

yeah thats great but ya not making perfume dude so how does it taste :teasing-tease:
crow

Postby googe » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Doing the spirit run right now, tastes good :-D
googe

Postby googe » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Won't be doing tpw anymore 8-) . Got into a bit of it yesterday doing some steeping,can honestly say a couple of bottles have got zero smell, never had a result.like that with my pot and a single spirit run. Very happy, im going to use less stock in the next though, just think it's a bit to much for the size wash. Taste is like :think: ....a very very slight spice in it maybe, only really notice it if you focus hard on it. Nice and smooth, quite warming to drink.
googe

veg nutrients

Postby Lupus » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:01 pm

Google,
You are pot stilling? If so, what did the TPW taste like vs the veg stock? I am looking at running a neutral soon and am wondering which way to go. And how much would you reduce the stock by?

Willing be running a Mac boka.

Lupus

Postby googe » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Yeah potstill mate, every tpw I've done has smelt just not right. To vinegar y or something, can always smell a.hint of Toms in it to,that's mainly due to me just stripping then doing a single spirit run, im guessing I need to do more to refine it better, I didn't have to do that with this wash though. Im.going to try 250ml next time instead of 500ml. I think it got down to about 984 just before I stilled it so there's no peons with using less stock. By all means tpw is a great simple.recipe, im not trying to take away from.that, just wanted something I was happy with, we all have different likes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

veg nutrients

Postby Lupus » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks googe ( god I hate predictive text type in googe and it auto corrects to google)

Think I will keep an eye on your progress with this recipe and do a TPW first up to compare. See how you go with the reduced stock. The spicey after taste of your veg stock wash has potential, specially of considering more spiced infusions.

Lupus

Postby crow » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:59 pm

can I just say that in my opinion your are very unlikely to get anything very close to a neutral do a strip and single run with a pot regardless of what sugar wash is used . My figs had a strip and 3 spirit runs and the flavour is still a bit to strong for my liking and thats aiming for a Rakia not a neutral, I'd imagine to get this to a neutral would take something like 6 to 10 more runs . now a sugar wash obviously not going to be anywhere near that difficult but even so a good neutral from a pot would be some serious work entailing multiple spirit runs IMHO ;-)
crow

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegies