Nashie pears in SA

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Nashie pears in SA

Postby crow » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:09 pm

ok mainly aimed at the SA guys : as mentioned nearly 12 months ago I was going to check this out this yr in SA. last yr a large number of nashie pears went to waste (as in Many Many tons) . So if I find a similar situation when I get back there hands up who's interested in travelling to the Cadell district for some fruit picking and very cheap pears.
I the idea I had was we all chuck in and maybe get a bin (about5ftx 5 ft x 4 ft high) or so then ppl can either make Perry or brandy or both :D . If a few are interested I'll look into this. the bother in law is getting my old still so I thought I could go home with the low wines and maybe some perry ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Nashie pears in SA

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:34 pm

I'm interested but that's close to a 9 hour round trip drive from my place, plus picking time so easy a 17hr day?

... I'd be eager if they're cheap & it's a serious wad of pears - what are we doing re juicing?

If I could come back with juice ready for cider & brandy I'd be a "maybe".

Keep me posted.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Nashie pears in SA

Postby crow » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:09 pm

yep might be a tent show then :handgestures-thumbupleft: (9 hrs where do ya live Port Lincoln or Ceduna) :laughing-rolling: Nar I'd be guessing just over 6 hrs, just over the Blanchetown bridge ya turn off to the Murbko rd when ya get to the Morgan ferry turn the otherway (right) go a little way and tad da Cadell Via Crows special shortcut :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Nashie pears in SA

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:15 pm

From my place to renmark is 5 hrs doing the speed limit, what's Morgan? Half hour? 1 hour less than that? Maybe I should google map this first but surely 4 hrs at least from CBD?

Bring on special short cut :-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:21 pm

cadell would be 1 and 1/2 hrs or more closer to you :handgestures-thumbupleft: Waikerie is around an hr from remark cadell is a bit over 1/2 hr in the opposite direction ;-)
I was from Sunlands if ya google that you'll see its half way between In fact staying on the bitumen the Cadell club was exactly one k more than the Waikerie club from my house :handgestures-thumbupleft:
From Sunlands to Adelaide (gepps Cross) is two hrs doing it easy
crow

Postby Sam. » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Google maps tells me its just over 2 hours from where I am BYB.

Still, if I had 4 hours free to drive then how ever long to pick the pears,I reckon It could be better spent doing something else.

And I rather cider than perry anyway :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby blond.chap » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks for the offer mate, but it's a bit far for me.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Return to Fruit & Vegies