Limoncello & Mango scnapps

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Limoncello & Mango scnapps

Postby davecuds » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Lemons are in abundance here at the moment so i put some zest together with 1L of neutral. It's been sitting around for about a month ( i kinda forgot about it) and i bottled it today with some sugar syrup. It's about 35%. Got some bite but also very smooth and sweet. Very nice out of the freezer. Yum

I made something similar with fresh mangoes. Great on the nose but not as nice as the Limoncello, maybe i didn't use enough.

Oranges are just coming on now as well. Can't wait!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davecuds

equipment: 50L boiler, 4 plate bubbler. 3600w element, SSR controlled

Re: Limoncello & Mango scnapps

Postby MacStill » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:59 pm

Mate! if the gear in the pic is as nice as the pic you took of it 8-} you should be bloody proud ^:)^

Nice :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Andy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:01 am

mates what's the mango recipe? recon i know a few ppl who would kill for it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby davecuds » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:18 pm

Cheers Mac.
Andy, i lost the book that i was taking notes in but it was pretty simple. One of my neighbours had some over ripe fresh mangoes sitting in a Tupperware container. You know when they are a bit mushy to eat but still super sweet. I put it all in ( from memory about 100g) syrup and all into about 600ml of 90% neutral. It has been sitting there for about one month. Next i strained it all, first through a sieve and then through a series of coffee filters that i ripped open and pasted then on the inside of the sieve (about 3 to cover the sieve). It was quite slow going and didn't filter it completely but it cleared it up a lot. I then brought down the % with a sugar water solution. I used 1 cup of sugar (250ml) in about 1.4L of water aiming to bring down the ABV to about 25% and taking away some of the sharpness of the alcohol and sweeten it up. This can be done to taste. I don't like overly sweet things, much preferring a bit of tartness/bitterness. Also the mangoes in syrup provide a lot of sweetness.
I dissolved the sugar by heating up the water, not to boil otherwise i think it will start to caramelise and effect the colour. I wanted a nice crispy colour, not a murky one. When the sugar was fully dissolved, i let it cool a bit then added the alcohol and stirred it in thoroughly. I bottled it while still warm with a very flawed theory, im sure, that while it cools it will hopefully produce some kinda of vacuum effect and hopefully preserve the drink a little longer as i think it will probably have a shelf life. Maybe not...im sure someone can provide some good information on this

Hope this was helpful. I have only done a few so a lot of this is guess work and experiment but i aim to get it right because i have access to a lot of fruit that i would love to make use of...otherwise it goes to waste...such a shame :teasing-blah:

I have just started an apple schnapps as well. I was in Dwellingup over the weekend. For those outside of WA this is the heart land for apple growing among other fruit. Lots of berries, quince...all sorts of stuff. Anyway i purchased 15kg of freshly picked pink lady apples. Absolutely delicious!! We are really getting ripped off when buying supermarket fruit, its just not the same. end of rant.
I roughly chopped and blended about 13kg with a bit of water to make a juice of about 24L. I added a further 32L of water. Im not sure on the sugar content of apples. I checked the SG and it read 1.020 but im not sure how accurate it will be with all the floaty bits and what not. I've sealed up the fermenter and i will let it settle over night and test the juice again in the morning. If the SG is still low i will have to add some sugar but it would be nice not to. I though 13kg of apples would provide more sugar than that.
I will be nice to pitch some wine yeast or something but all i have is bakers yeast so that will have to do.
davecuds

Postby davecuds » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:31 am

well after some quick research turns out that apples have about only 10% sugar by weight. I thought it would have been higher than that. Looks like im off to the store to buy some sugar.
davecuds

Postby Andy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:15 pm

cheers mate. dwellingup is a great place! :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Newtothisgame15 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:04 am

davecuds wrote:Lemons are in abundance here at the moment so i put some zest together with 1L of neutral. It's been sitting around for about a month ( i kinda forgot about it) and i bottled it today with some sugar syrup. It's about 35%. Got some bite but also very smooth and sweet. Very nice out of the freezer. Yum

I made something similar with fresh mangoes. Great on the nose but not as nice as the Limoncello, maybe i didn't use enough.

Oranges are just coming on now as well. Can't wait!

Hey Dave

Looks great. I want to try limonchello. Currently in the process of Potato Vodka at the moment and Single Malt scotches. Keep us updated on both. Would it be the same using glucose??

Dave
Newtothisgame15

equipment: Turbo 500 With Reflux Condenser

Return to Fruit & Vegies