PID controller for RC cooler

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

PID controller for RC cooler

Postby ABV 95 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:57 am

Could any one please help me with the settings for a pid controller?

I want to use the controller for a RC cooler in a bubbler.
I tried a few settings but it wil not keep the temp constant.

I'am using a selonoid valve wich is controlled by the pid, but it overshoots by at least 1 degree C.

The controller is a rex-c100.

Kind regards
ABV 95

equipment: 4 inch 4 plated single cap bubbler

Re: PID controller for RC cooler

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:09 am

Sounds like you’re trying to automate your still :angry-banghead:
Hope this isn’t a plan to leave it unattended :law-policered:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:30 am

Don't think it will work anyway. An rc can take anywhere from 1-5 minutes to settle after an adjustment. That valve would be on and off all the time and the rc would never settle properly. Going from full open to full closed just wouldn't work I wouldn't think.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby ABV 95 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:31 pm

Not planning tot leave it unattended but it would make a little bit easyer do something else in the shed ( :obscene-drinkingdrunk: )

I've seen the idea somewhere on this forum but i cannot find it anymore. It was a while back.
ABV 95

Postby bluc » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Are you trying to control cooling water temp or vapour temp. Reflux condenser Cooling water temp is the go with a electric water solenoid contrling flow. (DONT PUT THIS TYPE OF CONTROL ON A PC. ALL YOU WILL ACHIEVE IS ETHANOL VAPOUR OUT THE END OF PC.) Apparently on off ones work. I havnt done it but others have. Be prepared to spend time dialing in temps as the will vary from setup to setup.

As doubleuj said. Unattended is bad. :handgestures-thumbdown:

I can't see a prob with automation if your constantly monitoring it.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RC Al » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:44 pm

If your getting to within a degree, your prob not going to get it much better unless you go to a variable pwm control valve (dose such a thing exist? not sure i want to know the cost of that one...)
A strategy to try is to use 2 water inputs, a base one that cover 80-90% of the flow and then the rest on "fine" control via the solenoid
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby ABV 95 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:02 pm

I think i made a mistake, i put the sensor in the vapour path. like bluc said it should be in the water from the reflux cooler.

I will go and try it thanks

And its not my intention to leave it unattended.
ABV 95

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:14 pm

A pid should never be used for a RC as if fault does happen it can just go haywire :scared-eek: far better to use a needle valve for the water input to the RC then one can dial in the right product stream with a tweak on the handle. zac gave me one for my bubbler and man did that make a difference to using a ball valve.

Far better using a pid with an element to match the ideal boiler temp and only use a pid on that on a still.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RC Al » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Bryan1 wrote: Far better using a pid with an element to match the ideal boiler temp and only use a pid on that on a still.

AARRGGGHH!!!!! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
no, No and NO
Naughty Bryan1 :violence-smack:
About every 5th newbie assumes that one - and we have to work hard to convince them that it dosent work that way :sad:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby bluc » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:58 pm

Cant controll a still by temp only power input. You would have to put the pid into manual mode then it would make for an expensive voltage controller. Far better off with a scr and a potentionmeter. Way cheaper and does same thing.

Pid is much more at home mashing grain :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby ABV 95 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks for the reply's. i could use the pid to check the temp at the top of my colom, or is the temp not important?
ABV 95

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:25 pm

If you do exactly same wash same sg same fg same ingrediants then temp at best will give you an indication.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby db1979 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Temp above RC can allow you to determine abv but only accurate during hearts and if corrected for pressure (pressure changes with temperature).
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:47 pm

db1979 wrote:Temp above RC can allow you to determine abv but only accurate during hearts and if corrected for pressure (pressure changes with temperature).

Aka eparrot :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby ABV 95 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:20 pm

I have a parrot so abv readings is no problem.

But is it usefull to make better cuts? Like in example keeping it below 75 degrees C for the foreshots and around 78 for the heads and above 80 for the tails?
ABV 95

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:52 pm

You might be over complicating things here mate. Forget temps, I don't have a temp gauge anywhere on my still, no need. If you start chasing temps your still will be all over the joint, just let it do what it's gotta. These things are way simpler than you might think. Keep it simple and you'll have less things to worry about. One gate valve is all you need to run a bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby db1979 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:00 pm

woodduck wrote:You might be over complicating things here mate. Forget temps, I don't have a temp gauge anywhere on my still, no need. If you start chasing temps your still will be all over the joint, just let it do what it's gotta. These things are way simpler than you might think. Keep it simple and you'll have less things to worry about. One gate valve is all you need to run a bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1:
Don't even need a parrot.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby tipsy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:27 am

A bit late to the game.

ABV 95 wrote:I think i made a mistake, i put the sensor in the vapour path. like bluc said it should be in the water from the reflux cooler.

This is what I did and while probably not as good as in the water path it works for me.
The temp does overshoot occasionally, but it's usually at the start and sorts itself out, or I'm overpowering the condenser.

Anyway it's a fun way to run a still and it has taught me about how a still behaves under certain conditions.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Return to Electrical Hardware