I accidentally left my FSD element running dry....

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

I accidentally left my FSD element running dry....

Postby icewind » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:34 pm

A bit of a plug to FSD for the quality of their elements.

Well, I've been recently installing quite a few smart leds in my room and around the house. Also have some smart power boards and just recently purchased a single smart power plug. It is this plug which fuels my anger. Oh, and google. You see, google seems to be of the belief that my smart plug, even though I have not designated it as such, is a god damn light. It would turn on my heater whenever i told google to turn on all my lights in the room. So, I got the bright idea of setting up my still with it and putting it in its virtual room. (the brew room). I connected one of my FSD 2400w elements to it, named it element 1, and thought to myself how smart am i, im going to be able to turn off elements just by shouting out of my adjacent room to turn it off. (it is in an undercover area, and my main bedroom window i in that area.)

I thought, now its in a separate room, google's not going to touch it when I say to google in my bedroom "turn off the lights in my room", or
more fatefully, "turn all the lights on in my room."

and that is when, I believe,i turned my element on.

What would be about 2 hours later, I went outside to shut a freaking annoying shed door that was opening shutting in the wind and I see smoke and a red hot glow from the boiler. FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU. I left it to cool down overnight. I didn't know whether to drown it in water, and whether cooling it suddenly would make things worse, so I just left it to cool. Next morning, I cleaned the element up, as much as I could, surveyed the damage (definitely some warping.) and plugged it in. Having read on the forums that its likely to be shorted and flip the circuitbreaker, I turned it on expecting complaints of internet not working to come from inside from my lovely tech addicted children, but no. I ran the element for an hour or so, to test it and also to boil up some water for a 200l tpw. So far so good. I was convinced it was time for a replacement element.

Shout out to FSD for sourcing a fine quality product :handgestures-thumbupleft:

TLDR; accidentally turned my element on using a smart plug with google. left the element to run dry for 2 hours but it still works.

edit: here's a pic

PS. I have heard about using a float valve. Has anyone had any experience doing this in a boiler?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by icewind on Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icewind

equipment: 2" VM, 2" Pot

Re: I accidentally left my FSD element running dry....

Postby bluc » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:44 pm

Dang is much easier not to burn down house by using a dumb switch instead......i dont havd a lot of faith of that element not putting off flavours in tpw
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Dunnonuthin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:53 pm

It’s too easy to dry cook an element as it is. Let alone having technology do it for you at random.
I know this from recent experience. I wasn’t so lucky. Blew a fuse and ruined the non 5Star element. That’s what i get for being in a hurry to set up for a run. Hands moving faster than the brain.
Dunnonuthin

equipment: 50L boiler
2" Boka
4" Bubbler
10L Gin Pot

Postby icewind » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:35 am

bluc wrote:Dang is much easier not to burn down house by using a dumb switch instead......i dont havd a lot of faith of that element not putting off flavours in tpw

bah... and i needed to do a run this weekend too.... i'm all out of gin.
icewind

equipment: 2" VM, 2" Pot

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:07 pm

That's fucking unreal that it didn't fry the element :wtf:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Professor Green » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:53 pm

icewind wrote:im going to be able to turn off elements just by shouting out of my adjacent room to turn it off. (it is in an undercover area, and my main bedroom window i in that area.)

You shouldn't really be in another room when the still is running anyway. Just saying. :law-policered:
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby The Stig » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:13 pm

Who needs automation :angry-banghead: :handgestures-thumbdown:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to Electrical Hardware