Dual Heating Element.

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Dual Heating Element.

Postby jerrybuilt » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Greetings Readers,

I received a 2400W heating element for a new boiler. The image is shown below. The element was from 5 Star - nice service indeed. The quality of this element is excellent and I will be purchasing another one shortly. This particular heater consists of two electrically similar elements (each 50 ohms nominal) connected in parallel to dissipate 2400W.

element_2315.jpg

By removing one of the links each element bay be controlled separately - fast heat-up on 2400W then a single element (1200W) is controlled by a power controller ( https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/thyristo ... s/2143963/ ) The reason we use a single element is that :
1. Only about 830W is required
2.. Heat sinking is much reduced.

This power controller is very simple to use - it has a built in potentiometer (insulated shaft) and the mounting is directly to the heat sink via a single 3/8" nut. I have used one of these controllers for the last 2 years when the shed ambient temperature peaks at about 40C. For those who are interested the circuit diagram I will be using is shown below:

cifrcuit_2317.jpg

The schematic is provided for information only. No details are provided for construction purposes as this job, as simple as it is, should be carried out by persons who are suitably qualified.

Power indication is via commonly available power monitor - the Belkin unit shown below being used with a QVR/TB-RFI controller built into a suitable box.

kettle_ready_2306.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jerrybuilt

equipment: DIY stuff

Re: Dual Heating Element.

Postby warramungas » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:35 pm

830 watts? What size is your boiler and still? That would take a long time to do a standard run.
About what my old standard PDA1 would use and that was slooooow.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby jerrybuilt » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:03 am

Greeting W...,

I am only interested in getting the purest product. Boiler is 17l and I take 500mm every 1hr:30m. Produces plenty for my requirements.

Thanks for the reply,

Jerry.
jerrybuilt

Postby warramungas » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:50 pm

All good mate. If youre happy to go slow then onya.
You can make some good product faster is all. Small boiler would limit that though.
Enjoy the craft.
Cheers.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby jerrybuilt » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:39 am

Hi ya W...

Everything in my workshop goes on at a leisurely pace. The device sits in a corner behind the milling machine just bubbling away, minding its own business and producing quite amazing stuff !

Jerry.
jerrybuilt

Return to Electrical Hardware