Illuminating Plates

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Illuminating Plates

Postby crow » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:28 pm

A short fall I noticed with plated stills is the difficulty in seeing what is going on in the plates . peering though slight glasses with a torch , light reflecting back , got to be a better way . :idea: Right lets say ya have a 4" column with say 2" sight glasses right leave that there for a sec . Now larger refrigeration systems have a 3/4 sight glass to monitor lub and gas , these lenses are magnifying glass with a threaded retainer to hold them tight to a seat and seal . So if this fitting was modified to have a thread also on the outside one could screw ss (or anything reflective) cap on that with a LED light inserted . Then drill a 3/4" hole in the column opposite the 2" sight glass and fit the 3/4 lense assembly , plug in ya little 6 or 12 volt (transformer required) LED's and hey presto no more checking this port and that port as you can see everything thats happening all the time . Thoughts ppl
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Illuminating Plates

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:35 pm

3" peepers and no lights required, no squinting either :D

P5062036.jpg

P5062034.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:40 pm

yes but those mods would be a lot of work for existing builds or say a smaller column say 2 1/2" with 2" or smaller peepers
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:52 pm

Why would you build a bubbler that small?

If you're going to build one build it out of at least 3" and put 2.5" peepers in it, and even if you had existing 2" in your column it would be less work to replace with larger than what you're trying to explain :?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:15 pm

McStill wrote:Why would you build a bubbler that small

Ha I don't thinking 6" but with the largest available pre made lenses at 3" I could find I have the same problem
crow

Postby R-sole » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:25 am

3" lenses work fine on six inch stills.
You can buy kits with leds for all sizes of sightglass.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:23 pm

5Star wrote:You can buy kits with leds for all sizes of sightglass.

Damn it ya hell ya mean someones already though of and designed this . man Its so hard to be innovative when ppl copy ya before ya even think of it :angry-banghead: :laughing-rolling:
crow

Postby emptyglass » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Now you got me thinking bloke...

Get some of those LED strips the home boys all have under their nissans, wrap that around the bottom of the boiler and hey,presto! street rod still.

But only blue or red, not the green ones..... :teasing-tease:

Just use a torch mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:35 pm

I got 12v electric blue lights in my voltage controller.... :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby emptyglass » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:52 am

Pimp it up man!

I gotta get me some bling

I'm thinking 80's old school, sorry, old skool, graphic EQ, and auto reverse tape deck with fully lit sliders.

I just couldn't handle that modern MP4 shit hanging off my still. No... I'm not having no I still. Or android still, thats just plain wrong.

Sorry CE, just shit stirrin.
emptyglass

Postby crow » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:04 pm

Ok peeps so what yaz a saying yes it would work but so what who the fuck cares :roll: Fuck thought I had the next new miraculous cure . Anyway dudes ifen ya just after flashin lights and bling that wont really improve ya stillin they brought one out for yaz , ya can even get em cheap on ebay , they callin it the Turo 500 . :laughing-rolling: Jest kidding turbo gang
crow

Postby emptyglass » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:55 pm

Well, hows this crow.
I made my column when the main question was do you need peepers at all? No one dared a guess back then that size might good. I was concerened about how to do it good fast and cheap. So I'm stuck with the 2" ones I installed on this still.

I have to use a torch. But I have installed led lighting on some of my 7.25" gauge model trains in the past. I had thought of swaging a disc of glass in a copper fitting , 1/4" to 1/2" in size, depending on glass size I can find, and solderd that to the back of my column. Install high intensity leds, with resistors on each (ohm value to match led voltage), parralelled and a momentary switch. Run a 12V transformer to it.
Want to check? press button, look as needed, release button, pick drink up.

But then, I thought, why not just make a jig/stand/mounts so they can sit attached in some fasion to the triclamps and shine through the existing peepers. No need to put heat to the column that way. No need for extra holes/work.

Now the stills powered up, might as well add a docking station for an I phone.
emptyglass

Postby crow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:44 am

Or.... just make another with bigger peeps and flog that one off cheap , hell I'll even help ya find a buyer :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
crow

Postby emptyglass » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:11 am

I reckon it would do a nice rum or fig rakia....
emptyglass

Postby crow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:32 am

Aw jeez did ya think I meant me :whistle: bet it bloody would to and a tad higher ABV than this pot I'd hazard a guess
crow

Postby MacStill » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:35 am

peepers are pretty yes, but by no means are they mandatory.... half a dozen runs without them and you'd be making just as good gear as anyone who has them ;-)

As long as you built it the same as many of the proven working models it would work just fine, you have a thermometer and a parrot to guide you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:42 am

Yes I'd like to own one yesterday but I think It will be many more tomorrows before I do and I guess my shit box still make just about as good a stuff for 10 times the work :roll:
crow

Postby MR-E » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:50 am

croweater wrote:Yes I'd like to own one yesterday but I think It will be many more tomorrows before I do and I guess my shit box still make just about as good a stuff for 10 times the work :roll:

Are you thinking of building one :?: go on, you know you want to. :teasing-poke:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby MacStill » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:58 am

MR-E wrote:
croweater wrote:Yes I'd like to own one yesterday but I think It will be many more tomorrows before I do and I guess my shit box still make just about as good a stuff for 10 times the work :roll:

Are you thinking of building one :?: go on, you know you want to. :teasing-poke:

I doubt he's got the skills or understanding too :teasing-neener:

There! that should do it :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:02 am

edit posted at the same time
Time : none
Money : less than time
metal working skills : some
soldering skills : see money
working knowledge : somewhere between time and M.W.Skills
crow

Next

Return to Electrical Hardware