What elements to use?

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

What elements to use?

Postby karrotbear » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Hello all, I have recently acquired a very nice 50L keg and I was wondering what type (Name and Model) elements you guys use for your boilers and where do you get them? I've been reading about the weldless Keg King or whatever elements and the fact that they are blowing up or something, which is not a preferable outcome for me :)

So what types of weldless elements are there and how much (roughly) are they?
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Re: What elements to use?

Postby Kimbo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi Mate,
I used to use a 2400W incoloy bolt on element from an Appliance supplier (J G Thomas)
I had a bit of trouble with the weld less ones. Although I heard a rumor that they fixed the problem. :think:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby law-of-ohms » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:45 am

karrotbear, where are u located?
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Postby karrotbear » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:37 am

Hey Law of Ohms, I'm currently located in Toowoomba, QLD, but I can easily make a trip 1-2hrs out to get a good one
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Postby Jesiah » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:45 pm

I have just done a quick google search and found a couple of those elements that sound alright, but there aren't any pics.. Are they bolt on as in no weld but all metal?

I almost bought a no weld element but am unsure about the plastic in high temperatures.. Not sure If I want those chemicals in my body..

I'm under the impression that I would need to attache a power cord and housing myself?

-Jeremy
Jesiah

equipment: Mcstill Copper Pot.
McStill Copper Reflux.
50 Litre keg boiler with an exploded Keg King element that no longer works nor wants to leave my keg.

Postby stilly_bugger » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:58 pm

karrotbear wrote:...I was wondering what type (Name and Model) elements you guys use for your boilers and where do you get them? ... So what types of weldless elements are there and how much (roughly) are they?

I use 2 x 2,200W Keg King weldless elements. I get them directly from Keg King in Melbourne. They're $40 each for the element and ~$10 for the power cord. I fully expect that they'll die. When they do, I'll move to a different type, maybe the custom element that law-of-ohms uses.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby Hill » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:28 am

If it helps anyone iv used both styles of element for my brewery, the weldless elements don't have instalation around the cables and after a small bit of movement they fray and the element blows, in the same setup i have used the 3600w elements from beerbelly and iv had no problems, Iv just ordered a 2400w for my new bubbler project.

http://www.beerbelly.com.au/burners.html
They also sell the S/S fittings and will post at minimal cost.
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby Dino61 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:40 am

So those beerbelly elements, you just drill a hole in the boiler and fit a "nut " on the inside? Look like thyere just what I may need....or are there any around with a lead on em already ( I'm a lazy electrician) :-) cheers , Dean
Dino61

equipment: custom 80l stainless boiler made n NZ , 2x 2400w elements, reflux and pot heads.

Postby Goldie » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:59 pm

I use 2 x 2,200W Keg King weldless elements. I get them directly from Keg King in Melbourne. They're $40 each for the element and ~$10 for the power cord. I fully expect that they'll die. When they do, I'll move to a different type, maybe the custom element that law-of-ohms uses.[/quote]

This is the same set up I have. They make it super easy to get started if you don't have easy access to a welder. Like Stilly when these die I will move to a welded element.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby Dino61 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Cheers Ive got a cheap mig and an arc welder I'm reasonably proficient with but never done stainless...and if theres an easier way....
Dino61

equipment: custom 80l stainless boiler made n NZ , 2x 2400w elements, reflux and pot heads.

Postby Dino61 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:55 pm

These look interesting Im going to get some prices..

http://www.grimwoodheating.com.au/r111www/images/15-04.pdf
Dino61

Postby MacStill » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:59 pm

I'll have these in a few days :D

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2074&start=20#p28080
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Dino61 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:52 am

Ahh bugger , just ordered a couple of beerbelly ones..... the grimwood ones were $175 each,with covers and washers... :-/
Dino61

Return to Electrical Hardware