Placement of 2 elements

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Placement of 2 elements

Postby vooharmy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:53 pm

I have been slowly assembling a still over the last few months, its almost complete. I need to organise the final welds on the 50L keg boiler for the elements placements. Anyone put 2 elements in their keg? How did you do it and would you of done it differently if you did it again. 2x2400w elements. Im not looking for placement information mostly.
vooharmy

equipment: 2" swan pot still
3" vm\lm hybrid
50l keg boiler \w dual element
panda control box
current project - 5 plate 4" bubbler

Re: Placement of 2 elements

Postby deejay » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:05 pm

hi vooharmy yer mate i put two in and it works great for heat up
it takes about 20 mins to get to boiling and i have them on two seperate
switches of 15 amps from my circut board i put one just a bit higher than the other
and probly a quarter around the keg i would put them closer together if i do another
one just would make it easier to handle the plugs and put a drain plug opposite :handgestures-thumbupleft:
deejay

equipment: 50 litre boiler, 2" boka ,and a 3" x 4 perferated plate still

Postby vooharmy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Is there any reason they shouldnt just run vertically one on top of the other. I was thinking perhaps it might burn the wash? Using mcstill elements dont know if that provides relevant info. Thinking to myself I will need to run extension cords to different circuits in the house.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
vooharmy

3" vm\lm hybrid
panda control box

Postby punchy21 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:50 pm

vooharmy wrote:I have been slowly assembling a still over the last few months, its almost complete. I need to organise the final welds on the 50L keg boiler for the elements placements. Anyone put 2 elements in their keg? How did you do it and would you of done it differently if you did it again. 2x2400w elements. Im not looking for placement information mostly.

Depending on the size of the elements as to whether or not you will be able to run them simultaneously(had to google that word) will be the difference... and also what size element also...

I have a 3600W on the bottom and a 2400W above. The 3600W will draw 15 amps and because a 15 amp, by law, has to be on its own circuit will not be a drama to run. The 2400W 10A element, depending on what else is on the same circuit, is fine to run on the standard outlet you have available(may have to turn other appliances off during stilling time, Mrs will have to do the dishes by hand instead of using the dishwasher :mrgreen: ). I also have a voltage controller as per Panda's thread, that i use for the 3600W element to give me flexibilty and control. The 2400W element is only used to get the wash up to temperature then i switch it off.

Hope this helps, as im not sure of your setup and what you have available. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby vooharmy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Whats the spacing on your elements and would you change anything?

vooharmy

3" vm\lm hybrid
panda control box

Postby punchy21 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:31 am

The lower one is as low as possible and the upper one is in the middle. Don't think I would change anything but I only have a couple of runs under the belt with this boiler so time will tell... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Swede » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:28 pm

I've got two 4500w elements in my keg and they are mounted about 90 degrees from each other as low as possible in the keg. I've had no problems running this way and haven't burnt a wash with them. Convection will carry the heat upwards, so there's little benefit to having one element in the middle of the keg.

With both elements in the bottom, you also run less risk of dry firing the upper one if you're running less than a full boiler. It also allows you to still use both with a half keg of liquid for a super fast heatup...
Swede

equipment: Keg still with VM and Pot head with thumper
240V 4500w electric with control sys
Semi automated steam mashing setup
Beer and kegging setup

Postby Gas on » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:28 pm

mine are mounted about 180mm apart running parrellel into the keg. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Gas on

equipment: baked beans & rum

arfa 5 star bubbler

Postby vooharmy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Well its done now bottom of keg 20mm apart.

vooharmy

3" vm\lm hybrid
panda control box

Return to Electrical Hardware