Wiring 2400 Elements

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Wiring 2400 Elements

Postby vooharmy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:13 pm

I recently took my Elements to a electronics repair place to have the wires attached which they said they could do. Kind of stalled though when they asked me if the wire needed to be able to take greater than 90degrees, I figured that it likely would at which time they told me that they would need to put a section of a different wire and as it wasnt double shielded it wouldnt be legal for them to do it. So my question is how are people wiring these things up? My keg is back from the welders and I would love to get some cleaning runs done before I pack my house up.
vooharmy

equipment: 2" swan pot still
3" vm\lm hybrid
50l keg boiler \w dual element
panda control box
current project - 5 plate 4" bubbler

Re: Wiring 2400 Elements

Postby TassieStiller » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:40 pm

The issue with the wiring is the insulation.
Standard wiring has a V75 rating , meaning it is rated to 75C.
There are other rated wires, V90 (90C) and V105 (105C).

My element was shipped with V105 rated cabling, however, it wasn't crimped good enough in my opinion and I altered the connection. I hard soldered the wiring on to the element and applied heatshrink that was rated to withstand the expected temperature from the element. That way, the insulation properties were unlikely to deteriorate at all.

Disclaimer - I am an electrician, so the work I completed on the element is all legal. Please do not do it if you are not qualified. Your life, or a loved ones life is not worth the risk if you screw it up.
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Postby nevalicious » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:43 pm

vooharmy wrote:I recently took my Elements to a electronics repair place to have the wires attached which they said they could do. Kind of stalled though when they asked me if the wire needed to be able to take greater than 90degrees, I figured that it likely would at which time they told me that they would need to put a section of a different wire and as it wasnt double shielded it wouldnt be legal for them to do it. So my question is how are people wiring these things up? My keg is back from the welders and I would love to get some cleaning runs done before I pack my house up.

Never got back to your PM bud. Sorry. Business is busy and all...

They're referring to v75 and v90 cabling. Most, if not all extension leads would be made from v75 as its common. V90 simply refers to the insulation. Generally the v90 cabling is also more malleable too.

I wired mine up using an extension lead. Nothing fancy. I have also earthed the housing... if it goes to shit, I should be OK (RCD's and all)

When I fire up my rig, I'll bring out the laser pointer thermometer thingy and see what temp the McStill style element guard gets too...

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk 2
nevalicious

equipment: Shitty little Still Spirits refluxer, 50L boiler

Postby vooharmy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:27 pm

Obviously I just need to find someone more competent.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
vooharmy

3" vm\lm hybrid
panda control box

Postby vooharmy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:15 pm

News on temps?

vooharmy

3" vm\lm hybrid
panda control box

Postby nevalicious » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:57 am

vooharmy wrote:News on temps?

Had a look last night.

Farkin hot! Around 95 deg C
nevalicious

equipment: Shitty little Still Spirits refluxer, 50L boiler

Postby vooharmy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:46 am

LoL im gonna get 105v wire and do it myself. Good to know those temps upfront. Anyone wants to donate a wiring diagram feel free. Im assuming the ground attaches to the copper element guard, and the others go on the two prongs with double nuts

vooharmy

3" vm\lm hybrid
panda control box

Postby vooharmy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:34 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1352979243055.jpg

Success!@!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vooharmy

3" vm\lm hybrid
panda control box

Postby MacStill » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 pm

:clap: :happy-partydance: nice :happy-partydance: :clap:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby TassieStiller » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:41 pm

:text-+1:

Looks good. Also seems like you got the right flex (2.5mm) rather than the standard size :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Postby vooharmy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:23 am

Yeah its 2.5mm I checked all the wire for the thickest guage i could find. The whole thing is robust.

vooharmy

3" vm\lm hybrid
panda control box

Postby ilanrl » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:33 am

Just wiring up a boiler now. Looking for tips on earthing the vessel. Logic tells me that if the element itself is earthed then it's safe however being extra safe I was thinking I should run an earth wire to the vessel.

I'm thinking best way would be to drill a hole in the pot, put a stainless nut and bolt through it (which will seal in the inside with a washer and teflon tape) and screw down the bolt onto the earth wire.

anyone done this or got a better way?

- I could solder directly onto the pot with some 801 and soft solder.... hmmm

lou
ilanrl

equipment: evaporatively cooled VM - in progress

Postby MattyC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:20 pm

Thought i would share some handy hints on the wiring of these elements, that I found over the weekend.

After many many phone calls all over Brisbane i found one only one place that stocked flex cable to withstand the high temps.

Haymans at Mansfield had exactly what i needed, 2.5mm2, 3 core, 15 amp (went with this option as i also had a 3600w element to wire up and i suited both), Silicon coated cable rated to 150 degrees Celsius. Reasonable price to at $7 a metre, and they still have 200 odd metres left. Bargain :happy-partydance:
MattyC

equipment: 50L Keg Boiler (2400w and 3600w elements)
McStill TES (5 plate bubbler with neutral and gin basket extensions)

Return to Electrical Hardware