Weldless Kegking element

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Weldless Kegking element

Postby Andy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Why do these suck so hard? :angry-banghead:

I bought one and installed it, it was leaking. So i undid it so see what happened, and the silicon washer got cut while i was screwing in the bolt. So off to Bunnings to get a new one.
Installed it fine and then ran a wash through the next day.
Next time i got to use it put in the wash and start heating it up, then i notice its leaking. So I ran to the shed and searched through the washers and found 2 larger Caroma washers for the dunny. So I put them either side of the silicon washer. It survived the run, but Im wondering how long they will last for. Pretty sure they r rubber, so Im assuming not very long.

Is it worth welding the element in? Or are these elements notorious for breaking, thus need easy removal.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Re: Weldless Kegking element

Postby NotBenStiller » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm

sorry to hear about your dramas :handgestures-thumbdown:
i wouldn't wanna weld one of these in - read nothing but bad stuff about them
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:43 pm

maybe your hole has burs on it or you are doing them up to tight? I wouldnt use rubber for a few reasons. They get very hot and it will melt or burn and if its in contact with the wash with the heat and even without sure it would put a bad taste into it.
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby crozdog » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:05 pm

you can make diy washers out of silicon bakeware ;-)

The keg king elements are notorious for blowing up - there is a huge thread about em on aussiehomebrewer.

Try making a bakeware washer, but be prepared for the "pop"
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Postby Hill » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:19 pm

We have blown 4 in our brewery mate they arn't the best :)) we have just used shit loads of silicon around the element which makes it easy to change and have had no flavor problems in beer, which it was gunna come through it would in beer rather than spirits. I can post photos if you're not sure but just put it in and chuck 1/4 tube of silicon around it, let it set for a few days and you should be fine.
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby Andy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:07 pm

thanks for listening to my rant haha.
new distillers b warned
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Return to Electrical Hardware