electric hotplates

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

electric hotplates

Postby ilanrl » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:16 pm

tested out my electric hotplate tonight.

its a cheap 2 element portable type thing - this one http://www.productreview.com.au/p/breville-hot-top-2.html

from my calcs on how much vapour its producing - Im only getting out about 300 watts!! not including heat losses from the boiler and column both of which are insulated.

Any one else used something like this?

I know it has a rheostat and before actually using it figured that the max setting would be maximum power
(ie no 'off time') but i can hear the rheostat switching on and off even at full power -- Im guessing this is either a safety measure as the crappy device cant actually safely output 1600 watts or its just a design fault. Im considering just bypassing the rheostat - already have my controller wired up anyway.

thoughts?

lou
ilanrl

equipment: evaporatively cooled VM - in progress

Re: electric hotplates

Postby crow » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:44 pm

the reviews on this product are pretty bad over 10 min to boil an egg in a small saucepan . My mum has one for emergencies much bigger than this one and its good for keeping things hot but heating something takes ages. would not even entertain the idea of distilling with one
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Electrical Hardware