heater element on ebay

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

heater element on ebay

Postby skelty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi guys i have just acquired one of these elements on ebay.
Um do you think it would be good for me 18 gallon pot still...and would you use a thermostat?
It is 3000 watt and 220 volt appreciate any ideas ...oh yeah here,s the link :text-lol: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0960831212
Goota go need a drink

CHEERS ALL! :happy-partydance:
skelty

equipment: IN PROCESS OF MAKING ME FIRST STILL...A POT STILL.....MMMMM BOURBON

Re: heater element on ebay

Postby MacStill » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:46 pm

I cant get the link to load champ :handgestures-thumbdown:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby skelty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Ok sorry about the fuck up.This link works http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trks ... &_from=R40
CHEERS SKELTY
skelty

Postby MacStill » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Do you have a 15 amp power point to run it from ?

The max recommended from a standard house outlet is 2400w I think.

Might be worth looking into, or at least contacting the supplier about it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby skelty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:46 pm

15 AMP IS NO PROB ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 15 AND 10 AMP POWER OUTLET IS THE 15 AMP IS A SINGLE OUTLET.
FOR EXAMPLE I WIRED A 10 AMP MALE PLUG ON MY MIG WELDER AND HAVE DONE HEAPS OF WELDING NO DRAMAS
skelty

Postby MacStill » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:53 pm

ok mate, I'm just here.... no need to yell :laughing-rolling:

I think you'll find there is a difference, I'm not a sparky and know fuck all about it but I do know a lot depends on the wiring that supplies the circuit and a bunch of other stuff I dont understand ;-)

Just saying a standard 10 amp outlet is only rated to 2400w, that much I do know :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Here's a little "light" reading :D

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1053#p11804
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby skelty » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:28 am

I hear you,but like i said i have a cord 15amp for my mig with a 1o amp male plug to go into the power point.
It is a 175 amp mig and have no problems and have done lots of continuous welding with it,mind you i had 3 phase wired to my house and shed and the wiring is all heavy duty as i use a reasonable size compressor as well.
One more thing though,do i need a thermostat with a heating element :think:
CHEERS
skelty

Postby skelty » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Ok talked to a electrician today maybe not good idea most household wiring 2400 watts max ..could put in a 15 amp plug to do job but will look inti=o a bit more....actually will ring me son in law electrition...so hang 10
skelty

Postby skelty » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Ok mcstill i believe you are correct .i have fortunately 3 phase wired to my house and shed.
Me son in law is gonna do a 15 a amp PowerPoint in my shed and then i can run a 15 amp lead anywhere....in my shed...oh and the 220 volt element will work ...just burn out quicker but hey hey is was only 18 dollars..
skelty

Postby skelty » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Forgot to mention,,,,, he is a electrician so all is above board just gonna cost me fruits of me labor...ahemm few bottles of bourbon :romance-kisscheek:
skelty

Postby MacStill » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Good to hear mate, thank you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby TassieStiller » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:47 am

For anyone else that reads this thread, just a bit of info from an electrician.

10A powerpoints are different to 15A ones. the 10A ones are rated to 10A (2400W) as the connections are made to run that current as a maximum. Any more, and you will run more power through it than designed, causing it to heat and eventually burn out. If you are lucky, just the switch will fail and it simply will not work anymore. If you have karma against you, the powerpoint will melt, the wires int he back of it will melt its insulation off and become a risk for fire. If that was the case, your friendly electrical inspectors would be called to your house fire and see where the fire originated from (it really isn't too hard to work that out). Once they find a 10A powerpoint that ran a device over-rating it, you can say goodbye to your house insurance.
So, it is very simple to cut a 15A plug off, and put a 10A one in its place to use something, however the risk is too big.

It will cost a little bit, but get your friendly sparky in to wire up a nice new 15A power point and you can rest at ease that everything is running as it was designed to. 15A power points are heavier duty components designed to run the extra load and maintain normal operating temperature.
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Return to Electrical Hardware