SSR Build

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

SSR Build

Postby codieb » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:30 am

There are heaps of posts around and so much information it is all confusing me, I have a still with a 2100w element running in NZ and want to build something to manage the heat output of the element. Everything i have read has lead me to building an SSR and Potentiometer.

What i am thinking is this:

SSR
http://www.sourcingmap.com/single-phase ... 75134.html

Potentiometer
http://www.sourcingmap.com/680k-ohm-var ... 77107.html

I have a old CPU heat-sink at home that i will use but will i need it? Same with a fan?

Case
Some form of plastic box

Meter:
Would i better off using something like this:
http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/M731 ... ower-meter

or like this:
http://www.sourcingmap.com/85l1-0250v-r ... 31852.html

I plan on just chopping up an extension lead and using that as wiring will that work?

Is there anything else that i need or need to be carefull of?

Thanks for your help!! :-D
codieb

equipment: Pot Still and Copper T500 with extension column

Re: SSR Build

Postby blond.chap » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:55 am

Hi mate, might just be worth mentioning whether you're a qualified electrician. If so there are a few guys who you might be able to discuss plans with.
If not, you'll need to find one to help you out, as electrical stuff is pretty much the only part of this hobby that an amateur can't do.

Just out of interest, how big is your still? Because I have pretty much the same heat capacity and I've run both 2" and 4" still heads on it without any need to control the heat.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby punchy21 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:36 pm

codieb wrote:There are heaps of posts around and so much information it is all confusing me, I have a still with a 2100w element running in NZ and want to build something to manage the heat output of the element. Everything i have read has lead me to building an SSR and Potentiometer.

What i am thinking is this:

SSR
http://www.sourcingmap.com/single-phase ... 75134.html
Looks good...
Potentiometer
http://www.sourcingmap.com/680k-ohm-var ... 77107.html
Find a 500k ohm one instead...
I have a old CPU heat-sink at home that i will use but will i need it? Same with a fan?
I havent experienced it myself but have seen melted plastic boxes... I run a fan and heatsink on mine
Case
Some form of plastic box

Meter:
Would i better off using something like this:
http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/M731 ... ower-meter
I cant see a need if you incorporate some sort of meter - voltage, amps or both...
or like this:
http://www.sourcingmap.com/85l1-0250v-r ... 31852.html
similar to mine...
I plan on just chopping up an extension lead and using that as wiring will that work?
Extension leads can vary in size alot, you can get some flexible cable by the meter from an electrical wholesaler - id recommend 2.5mm2
Is there anything else that i need or need to be carefull of?
Id suggest getting a sparky to wire it up... Im sure if you had all the parts mounted and the sparky just had to wire it up then he'd have it knocked over pretty quick... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Thanks for your help!! :-D
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby 1 2many » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi mate thanks for the link to the ssr that i think most know it as a psr but nice and cheap.Best bet is get a sparky to hook it up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby kiwikeg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

dude I know sparky's at work and none of them will sign off on any of the power controllers circuits posted online :-B . Your life and your insurance cover are at risk here. There are a few bods working on these at the moment so I recommend holding off a few a few weeks till the design issues get sorted then build and get a sparky to test and tag it..
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby MacStill » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Yeah I doubt it's worth chopping up any old extension lead to use for your new controller, the price of new cable by the metre is bugger all & you can trust it's in the best condition possible. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:06 pm

Codieb

I strongly recommend you follow Punchy21 wiring here .viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3241

Its point to point wiring with no ambiguous bits that could cause confusion.

It is Very important NOT to use a plastic case.You MUST USE AN EARTHED METAL CASE.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby boris » Tue May 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Yummyrum wrote:
t is Very important NOT to use a plastic case.You MUST USE AN EARTHED METAL CASE.

Why is this?
boris

equipment: still spirit turbo 500 still

Postby Brendan » Tue May 07, 2013 12:34 pm

boris wrote:
Yummyrum wrote:
It is Very important NOT to use a plastic case.You MUST USE AN EARTHED METAL CASE.

Why is this?

I would like to say that I disagree with this statement, respectfully.

There are advantages to using a metal case, but considering we strongly encourage everyone to get their electrical work carried out by a professional, there is no issue with someone who knows what they are doing putting it together in a plastic case.

The issues that I can see with the material choice, are heat dissipation and earthing.

A metal box will provide a great surface area as an added heat sink if the internals are mounted as such to conduct heat away. If a plastic case is setup with a sufficient heat sink, along with fans and thru-flow, there won't be an issue. A metal box MUST be earthed very well, and this issue is negated with a plastic box.

To add to this, my controller is in a plastic ABS project box and runs cool, but it is very well insulated and cooled internally. When I build a new one with the SSR's from eBay, I will be using a metal case for the added heat dissipation properties.

My :twocents-mytwocents:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby punchy21 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:27 pm

If you use a plastic box, earth your pot and make you have got a vent and/or fan
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Return to Electrical Hardware