3 phase controlers and elements

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

3 phase controlers and elements

Postby fadge » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi all, just a quick question for the sparkies or elec guys out there.
I'm about to grab a few parts and chuck a keg into use as my new boiler.
I'm going to step up from 2" stuff to 4" unit.
I know that std power points are ok with 2400w elements, some tend to push the to 3600w, I've pushed mine to 2 elements 1800w+2400w (4200w) we all know thats far too much for normal power points, yes it gets hot quick but so does the cable, power point and my nerves, so I tend to use one or the other with no controler.
I have in my shed a sub-station power board that has 3 phase connected, I understand I can run 3 seperate power points on each phase with 10 or 15 amps, perhaps up to 3600w each.
I could do this and have a ssr power contoler for each element, and have 3 elements for super fast heat up times, fast stripping etc, then wind back to 1 element for normal runs.
Is there a better option to simply use the 3 phase generic either delta or star configurations, and what would I do for actual power control; 3 controls on each phase or is there a 3 phase ssr setup?
Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions.

Fadge
fadge

equipment: 2" 3+ft high CM fractioning homemade still (bought)
25-27 lt converted birko ss urn, 2 elements 2 controls
1500 lt water tank with pump and tap control
Use TPW mostly, and prefer whisky products, but drink anything !

Return to Electrical Hardware