4 Element Controller

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

4 Element Controller

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:50 pm

As you would all be aware,in the coming weeks,I'll be taking possession of the new FSD-B-250 :D :D
This will be my first foray into an electrically heated boiler,utilising 4 x FSD-E-3600w elements :D :D and element guards (once they are back in stock :handgestures-thumbupleft: )
These will be run during the heating up process by a 15kva silenced diesel powered genset ( non inverter type),and if I can't put up with the hum of the genset,I'll then unplug from the power supply and hook up to mains supply :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'm only using the genset because its there and it has to be run monthly anyway to ensure smooth operation,so one may as well put it to good use :handgestures-thumbupleft:
What I'll be pertaining to do is commission an electrical engineer,namely one of you good blokes :D to construct,test,and then ship to me,a 4 station controller,the likes of which,will make every one go ooooo and ahhhhhh :o
This controller will not only be used on my new acquisition,but also on the 50l boiler that is currently used for small/experimental batches that occasionally get done as well :D
My usual sparky is pretty much flat out and wouldn't be able to get around to the job for 3-4 months,due to commitments out at the mines :crying-blue:
So what do you people suggest? :think: :think: But remember,this controller has to complement Cindy and Cindy's new playmate :D :D And must also be kept at a reasonable price :whistle: :whistle:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Re: 4 Element Controller

Postby adam89 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Just a bit of thinking.

Do you know what kind if power is needed to keep Cinderella dancing nicely?

I would think it would be best to have a controller box that all 4 elements plug into. 3 are switched just on/off. 1 element on a controller so you can adjust 1 as you need and turn the other 2 or 3 elements off once heated up.

Is your genset 3 phase? What outlets are on it?
adam89

equipment: 2" Pot Still (Mac Built)
4" 5 Plate Modular Copper Bubbler (Mac Built)
50L Boiler on Gas
50L Boiler with 2x2400W element

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:01 pm

I'm thinking if its 3 phase you might be better going for 6 x 2.4 kw .The load would be better shared across all phases .Total power would be the same.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Single phase with 3 15amp outlets on the genset itself,but my sparky is going to put a bank of 4 15 amp outlets in the shed when he gets the time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
When running Cindy,I should need about 10,000w of power to run her comfortably :o :o and can only run 4 elements as that is all we have allowed for (should have gone for the 20kva set :laughing-rolling: )but in saying that,when the genset is running at 80% load,it's only using 1.5l of diesel an hour :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby adam89 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Ah fair enough.

I was thinking on the drive home and was going to say 15kva 3 phase would only handle 3 elements.

You planning to run the fourth element from the mains?

If your thinking 10kw should be close to what she needs then a controller running 3 elements full time and the fourth element variable should have you laughing.
adam89

50L Boiler on Gas

4 Element Controller

Postby Dominator » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:26 pm

I agree. There is no need for more than one controller, you can adjust between 0 and 14400W with just one SSR.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby adam89 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:52 pm

If a house has RCD's, it should not be running ceramic fuses (a little less sensitive). It should have MCB (miniture circuit breakers). This can be in the form of either individual RCD/MCB combos or an RCD protecting individual MCBs. If your going to over draw a circuit and your wiring is correct your MCB should trip out before any dramas. This is in an ideal situation.

Regardless of that, if you have reputable electrician install dedicated circuits for you (e.g. 4x 15A outlets on 4 separate circuits) there should be no drama at all.

This will be an interesting development. There are many ways to go about this and everyone has different views and ideas to building a controller.

If your genset has 3 outlets, I'd be running those 3 constantly. Then build one controller to control the 4th element that you can run off the mains power (if rated).
adam89

50L Boiler on Gas

Postby punchy21 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:28 pm

adam89 wrote:If your genset has 3 outlets, I'd be running those 3 constantly. Then build one controller to control the 4th element that you can run off the mains power (if rated).

I agree, depending on their location on the boiler - you only really need to control 1(maybe 2) and switch in the others as required... If that's what you want :whistle:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

4 Element Controller

Postby Dominator » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:27 am

adam89 wrote:If your genset has 3 outlets, I'd be running those 3 constantly. Then build one controller to control the 4th element that you can run off the mains power (if rated).

X 3. I think this would be the best way to run.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby adam89 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:20 am

Pinto,

The Genset only has 3x15A outlets? No other outlets? If there is a 10A outlet you could always run 3x 3.6kw and 1x 2.4kw elements. That would give you 13.2KW of power.

A 15kva single phase generator should have a maximum load of about 60A. If you were to run 4 elements off of it, it would be running sweet.
adam89

50L Boiler on Gas

Return to Electrical Hardware