Controllers are in!

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Controllers are in!

Postby stillwagon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:29 pm

Just got my controllers in and getting them installed. They all primarily are temp controls. But they have timers, and can step up or drop down the temp after specified periods of time. Brew controller can step mash automatically for more complete saccharification. The still controller has three settings, strip, finish, and a custom run. The fermenting control adjusts the fermenter temp by cooling. Heating is accomplished by the ambient room temperature. I cant wait to get everything plugged in!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stillwagon

equipment: The still I use is a 50 gallon 4", packed, 14', copper column

Re: Controllers are in!

Postby Smbjk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Wow I want one :drool: :crying-blue: thats awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Brendan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:41 am

Hey mate, some suggested reading...

Why you can't control a still by temperature...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby stillwagon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:01 am

Interesting reading. The controller is to keep a steady current and temp. If it is a simple on/off thermostat, I would get surges and the second column floods. With a steady current and control of the temp I avoid those issues, as well as a few other things related to my still. We have already run it on a prototype controller and it worked great. It only controlled two of the elements instead of all three.
stillwagon

Postby blond.chap » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:27 am

Interesting set up, sorry if this is obvious but with the still controller what are you measuring, and what is controlled?
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby ACfixer69 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:39 am

Looks like it does everything except regulate heat btu/inbut. :-B
ACfixer69

equipment: 4" modular platted still 3 plate and 4 plate or 7 together 15.5 US gal boiler w/ 2- 4500W elements & 50AMP phase angle controller

Postby wedwards » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Nice .... I hate you .... But very nice :)
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby ticknaylor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:31 am

Brendan wrote:Hey mate, some suggested reading...

Why you can't control a still by temperature...

Doesnt mean you cant have different settings for stripping and spirit runs u want more heat on stripping runs think ya missing the point bud :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby stillwagon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:22 am

The still controller has a temperature probe at the top of the column. The controller then adjusts and maintains a steady temperature by controlling the elements. On start up it will run all three elements, then as it nears the desired temp it drops out one element and uses the other two as needed to maintain a steady temp.
stillwagon

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:07 am

stillwagon wrote:The still controller has a temperature probe at the top of the column. The controller then adjusts and maintains a steady temperature by controlling the elements. On start up it will run all three elements, then as it nears the desired temp it drops out one element and uses the other two as needed to maintain a steady temp.

I think what the guys are getting at his how are you going to do your cuts running like that? Temp? ABV? Smell and taste? :think:

What happens if you overshoot temp? I assume it would back off the element to try to get down but will eventually get to a point where it will need to turn the element off to achieve this.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby stillwagon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:22 am

The temperature control allows for cleaner cuts. By keeping close control of the temp there will be a better separation of the vapor. Of course there is a mix, but it will be more concentrated at their different boiling points.

The controller starts heating with all three elements. When it comes within 10 degrees of set point it drops out one element, and adjusts the other two accordingly. So, one element is simply on or off. The other two are controlled as needed, and it will drop out the second if necessary.

This is the way it is programmed anyway. I haven't had a chance to run the still with this controller. We used a prototype that only controlled two 5500 watt elements and it worked well. This is running three 4500 watt elements, and should have faster heat up, and better control.
stillwagon

Postby Dominator » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:11 am

The fermenter and mash tun controllers are fantastic. I would love to have the time and money to set up a mini version of that at home.

I understand with the still controller, presumably on a strip run all elements run flat out, and I do like the idea of the controller automatically cutting back the power input when you near the boiling point in a spirit run but you have said it will control the amount of power according to the temperature at the top of the column. Once your wash is boiling, the temperature in your column is a result of the contents of your boiler, not how much heat you put in. It sounds like you already understand this so please ignore me if you do. I just would hate to see you put all this work in and it not work out as you expected. Either way, good luck with it and keep us posted, it is fantastic to watch it all come together. I can only imagine how exciting it would be for you.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby stillwagon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:42 pm

When the still is running and in 100% reflux, the temperature is stable. But when the VM valve is opened, equilibrium can be disturbed by the amount of power applied, pushing the tails through with the hearts, which also raises the temperature of the column some. By using the temperature as a monitoring point, I avoid running the still too hard, especially with a lower abv wash. I do my cuts mostly by scent and taste, so this just adds a little more control. It also has a safety feature based by temp, should the setpoint be exceeded by 20 degrees, the still is shut off. So if I have a setpoint of 185 degrees, and the column temp hits 205, the still is shut down. My cooling system is a recirculated system. Should the pump quit, or it pop a hose, and I don't see it or notice, it prevents any further problems.
stillwagon

Postby Dominator » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Good stuff mate.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:55 pm

stillwagon wrote:When the still is running and in 100% reflux, the temperature is stable. But when the VM valve is opened, equilibrium can be disturbed by the amount of power applied, pushing the tails through with the hearts, which also raises the temperature of the column some. By using the temperature as a monitoring point, I avoid running the still too hard, especially with a lower abv wash. I do my cuts mostly by scent and taste, so this just adds a little more control. It also has a safety feature based by temp, should the setpoint be exceeded by 20 degrees, the still is shut off. So if I have a setpoint of 185 degrees, and the column temp hits 205, the still is shut down. My cooling system is a recirculated system. Should the pump quit, or it pop a hose, and I don't see it or notice, it prevents any further problems.

Where are taking your temp from? Just before the VM valve?

Seems you are trying to control your still two different ways and one will affect the other :think:

The equilibrium will be disturbed when you open the valve, maybe you need finer control on your valve.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ACfixer69 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:11 am

When running the still you will not be able to control take off rate with temperature controlling, so smearing will be unavoidable. :sad: Look pretty though.

AC
ACfixer69

equipment: 4" modular platted still 3 plate and 4 plate or 7 together 15.5 US gal boiler w/ 2- 4500W elements & 50AMP phase angle controller

Return to Electrical Hardware