TPSR voltage controller.

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

TPSR voltage controller.

Postby newbiboozer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi I bought a United Auotmation brand TPSR-25 solid state relay from RS online to build a voltage controller.I have read the product data sheet and spoken to a tech at RS but can't get an answer. This relay has a facility to connect a thermistor. My question is does anyone have any experience with this type of relay and is there any advantage of using the thermistor and can I run it without the thermistor and do I need to bridge the terminals where the thermistor should be connected if it will run without it.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Re: TPSR voltage controller.

Postby L'ambeq » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:56 pm

Hello Newbiboozer,

at first: sorry I have no experieces with this type of SSR!

But I´m sure that if you want to use it you must connect the thermistor, it will be a X10308. (Notice: if you use it you will have to fix it at your still, pay attention- the sensor will have life voltage!)

If you take a look into the datasheet at the RT diagram you can see that the best range to operate for the TPSR25 is between 25 and 45 *C, where the gain of the curve is high (-), in the range we use to use there is a low gain and the regulation will be bad there!

I hope you can understand my explanation, in german it would be much better!

Sorry for this information, I would use an on/off Temperature controll or, better, PID
L'ambeq

equipment: Potstill with surrounding waterjacket, digital controlled PID, SSR, 1kW element, 4L and 10L

Postby Dominator » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Don't worry about the thermistor, it is only gonna make things more complicated. KISS. Just fit your pot.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby newbiboozer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks mate. I just put it together with just the pot works fine goes down to about 20 volts up to 240. I haven't got an element atm but run the bench grinder off it. Not sure if it is normal but with nothing connected to it the voltage goes up from 240 to 360 volts when you turn it from full down to low. Anyway works fine when you connect something.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby Dominator » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:42 am

newbiboozer wrote:Thanks mate. I just put it together with just the pot works fine goes down to about 20 volts up to 240. I haven't got an element atm but run the bench grinder off it. Not sure if it is normal but with nothing connected to it the voltage goes up from 240 to 360 volts when you turn it from full down to low. Anyway works fine when you connect something.

I won't try to explain it but yeah that is normal.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Return to Electrical Hardware