Heat control on t500 boiler

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Postby Robj » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi all
Bean using my t500 boiler as a pot still (with a pot head) and have realised it runs to hot, I have a thermostat controller rigged up on the power cable with a probe, I use this for mashing as it gets to desired temp then cut the power and wen the temp drops it fired back up, obviously! I have been thinking about drilling the probe through the side of my cylinder about 4" up from the bottom, it's a metal probe so if I drill a tight hole I should be able to solder it with an iron, just want some thoughts on this before I go ahead and put a hole in my boiler, does anyone think this will work or know that it won't, or if there's another easier way, like I said the stat is wired up and works fine to any temp I set it at so can't see why it wouldn't, but hey I'm no expert!!! Cheers guys
Robj

equipment: Pot still and reflux

Re: Heat control on t500 boiler

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:40 pm

If its an on/off type controller ,then probably not really helpful while distilling,it will cause surging.

You can't control the temp of a boiler with a thermostat because the temp will rise as the proportion of alc in the wash changes as it evaporates off.

You would be best getting an adjustable power controller instead.

Its one of the hardest things that new distillers get their heads around .You will probably be told the same thing by twenty people ,twenty different ways ,then bang ,you will get it .
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby SBB » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:24 pm

:text-+1:
Pretty much what Yummy has said, you need a proper voltage controller, a normal thermostat wont do the job, you need constant steady heat , not the on and off heat that a thermostat provides.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Robj » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:16 am

See what yous are saying, I'll get onto my sparky mate and see if he can sort summit, cheers for the input, good advise as always
Robj

Postby Robj » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:55 am

I've ordered a voltage controller but already have a digital temp probe, shall I fit this at the top of the head or lower down to monitor the temp? It off my t500 so shud work fine, also which would be the best way to seal it into the copper? Cheers guys
Robj

Postby Mr Four Square » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:34 pm

Hi Robj been through the exact same journey. Bought a T500 boiler and put a pot head on it. Took me about a year to work out that I was running the thing flat out. A SS Pot still is 1300 watts the T500 a little over 1800. I went through a few voltage control designs and I reckon I have cracked it now. I use a cheap eBay controller and calibrated the dial to show the approximate wattage. Don't even use a volt or an ammeter. I just check the dial position and watch the size of the distillate thread. All done for round $30.
Mr Four Square

equipment: T500 Boiler 2"pot head + reflux

Postby SBB » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Rob I really think your wasting your time with the temp thing on the pot, Spend the time you would installing the temp prob into your pot still reading up on cuts and watching whats coming out the end of your pot, feeling it, smelling it, and noticing the differences in output. Changes to the power settings on your new controller will make differences to all of these things, At the end of the day you will learn a lot more that way than watching a temp gauge.
Sorry if Ive sounded a bit blunt but those are the facts.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Dusty_ben » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:33 pm

Mr four square would you have a link or something to search for the controller
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Postby Robj » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:28 am

SBB your a goodn, I've got the voltage control on its way, gona take ur advice as it all seems to make sense, Jim Tom and Tickle off 'Moonshiners' never had a temp gauge them guys can shake the jars and tell wot proof it is, proper hillbilly style, lol. I'll run the stripping run full pelt then try n keep the spirit run to a pencil lead size or a fast drip? That's right innit? Cheers again mate, thanks to all yee ;-)
Robj

Postby Robj » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:06 am

Cheers for that mate, it's the one I've ordered or very similar, 3800w was hoping it wud hav been here today, might come tomoz, cheers bud
Robj

Postby Robj » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:33 am

Got my controller, fitting it before a socket then whatever I plug in I can control, should be reet?
Robj

Postby Werrty » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:39 pm

Hey so what is the out come of this do you need to adjust the voltage of the still?
Werrty

equipment: 500 turbo still

Postby Dyno » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:47 pm

Just wondering if anyone has used one of these in line controllers ?

http://kegking.com.au/power-controller-chip.html

Spoke to the bloke in the shop and he said they will do the job fine ( he's selling them so I guess that was expected ). Obviously would need a surround/ casing. Anyone out there used one that could comment? Cheers
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby benpandaae86 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:51 pm

Yeah mate most of theyre about $5 off ebay look up voltage controler
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby Dyno » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:00 pm

benpandaae86 wrote:Yeah mate most of theyre about $5 off ebay look up voltage controler

Cool...thanks mate. He did say it would be ok up 5000w...thats not needed tho from my end so all good. Must throw out a bit of heat, seems a small thermo block. Anyways, Im no expert so thanks for heads up.
Dyno

Postby Sam. » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Keg king are known to supply extremely cheap items marked up, there have been problems with a lot of their gear :handgestures-thumbdown:

You might as well just get a cheaper one off eBay :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Dyno » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:14 am

Sam. wrote:Keg king are known to supply extremely cheap items marked up, there have been problems with a lot of their gear :handgestures-thumbdown:

You might as well just get a cheaper one off eBay :handgestures-thumbupleft:

ok mate...if thats what you recommend. Well an truly over fking around with this t500. Nevermind..
Dyno

Postby thedarkmesh » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:26 pm

Got some question on doing this for my T500 boiler.
So I now have...

- Analog Voltage Panel Meter AC 250Volts http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281551681019
- AC 220V 4000W SCR Motor Speed Controller Voltage Regulator Dimming Modulation http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171737733242
- Plastic Housing from Jcar
- Heavy duty extension cord
- 240v PC Fan

Still need to get the power cable grommets. I was going to cut the top to mount the Analog Voltage Panel in the lid of the plastic housing and cut the holes to allow the power cables into the box.

I am guessing that is all the prep work I need to do on the box?
Anyone got a number of a good local sparky in South East Vic who will do this type of work? If I like go to a local shop they could rat on me to the police? who know?
Am I missing anything? any more advise?
thedarkmesh

equipment: Turbo Boiler + 5 Star 4" Modular Still

Postby 1 2many » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:35 pm

thedarkmesh wrote:If I like go to a local shop they could rat on me to the police? who know?

Nah they won't dob you in mate it's not worth there effort,and the cops would just roll there eyes.

You don't have to tell the sparky it's for a still, It's for your beer HLT or a crab cooker. ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Next

Return to Electrical Hardware