Keeping wash warm, keeping it fermenting.

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Keeping wash warm, keeping it fermenting.

Postby Chips Molasses » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi folks, just after some ideas on how you guys keep your wash warm in cooler months. As you can see I have two heating belts, on a thermostat switch.

I can put a sheet of vinyl over the whole lot which will insulate to some extent.

She who must be obeyed won't let me bring my 220l fermenter into the house...... Damn unreasonable!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Re: Keeping wash warm, keeping it fermenting.

Postby Wino » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi , maybe a fish tank heater would be more help, ive got mine wrapped in old quilts at the moment. Cheers
Wino

equipment: SS T500 , building Pot Still soon

Postby 1 2many » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Wino wrote:Hi , maybe a fish tank heater would be more help, ive got mine wrapped in old quilts at the moment. Cheers

:text-+1: on the fish tank heater, the heat produced by the heater is inside the barrel where you want it rather than having the heat on the outside trying to get in. I would also wrap in blanket after 2 days fermenting.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Mrdatsun21 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:22 pm

:text-+1: for the fish tank heater. My minister for finance and recreation is the same. She didn't want it inside the house. I've got a 60 litre sitting outside with a jacket around it and will soon have a fish tank heater inside. The one I got was like 30 bucks from farmers mart. They tell you how much fluid they can heat and how many you require etc!
Mrdatsun21

equipment: HBS Reflux still
Home built Pot Still

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Have you considered a single bed electric blanket ($19) on your thermostat switch? It would reach around a couple of barrels I'd guess.
As for the aquarium heaters I used them extensively in the past but after my first and only element failure I want risk using them again.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby bt1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:53 pm

Big fan off the aquarium heaters. Use the AquariumOne brand never had an issue and I've got 6.

They don't take hard knocks as it tends to shorten the life but just reasonable care is all that's needed and thermostat is precise and adjustable.

My dad passed one he used in the 70's and it's still belting it out as in my main beer fermenter used weekly.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Chips Molasses » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks for the help guys, I have a 500w aquarium heater on the way.
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Postby aussiemoonshiner » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:39 pm

Hi guy's
i use 200l drums use single size electric blanket works great
aussiemoonshiner

equipment: pot still 30 litre, 50litre keg, 2'boka jayD

Postby Leeroy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:12 pm

I use a 50watt submersible heater per 30L fermenter x2 with a sleeping bag wrapped around set to 24'c - Never had a problem :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Leeroy

equipment: 50L keg pimped out With FSD gear
4" Neutralizer
Ultra Pure Still

Postby troglodyte » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:50 pm

Chips Molasses wrote:Hi folks, She who must be obeyed won't let me bring my 220l fermenter into the house...... Damn unreasonable!

Your choice, either Take of the pants and put on the skirt or make a stand for us all ? your call you soft bastard!
troglodyte

equipment: 2L pot still

Postby Chips Molasses » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:33 pm

troglodyte wrote:
Chips Molasses wrote:Hi folks, She who must be obeyed won't let me bring my 220l fermenter into the house...... Damn unreasonable!

Your choice, either Take of the pants and put on the skirt or make a stand for us all ? your call you soft bastard!

14 years 26 motorbikes in the shed, go away for sports whenever, lots of other toys... On balance I reckon I am doing OK.

I reckon spending $15 for an aquarium heater to take the moral high ground is money well spent.. Lol.
Chips Molasses

Postby Stoney » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:22 pm

I have a 25A ssr and PID controller in a box with a long extension cord, gets used for all sorts of things.
currently its cycling a 400W bar heater in front of 2 washes, thermocouple just sitting in mid air and set to about 31C.

I had one wash running yesterday and kept that warm with a strand of wire from an old electric jug element, the real old ceramic ones with wire wrapped around them, I used to buy them to rewire as 4 and 8Ω audio dummy loads when fixing big amps.

power supply set to about 19v was running 1.2A though it, 23W or so i guess, enough to keep the chill off.

here tis currently, not the most efficient way to do it but it works..

Stoney

equipment: 55l nixon stone 1 3/8 column, propane + electric
2" pot column

Postby CH3CH2OH » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:04 pm

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here is my solution

120l fermenter with an old waterbead heating pad wrapped around the bottom taped and zip tied in place

Waterbed thermostat control cranked to max 90' plugged into my stc-1000 temp control unit

Thermo probe from the stc-1000 is inside a length of 3/8 copper tube crimped and soldered closed and stuck inside the fermenter

Set the stc-1000 to the desired temp, temp differential and delay and it works fantastic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby bayshine » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:01 pm

Stc 1000 controller, fan heater insulated chamber to fit 3 x120l fermenters :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:33 pm

seething with jealousy bayshine :mrgreen: ...that's just too orderly

BTW , I love how many ways a cat can be scun
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby CH3CH2OH » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:19 am

Wow

Great cabinet
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby Godzilla2456 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:48 am

How bayshine that is awesome!

All I do to keep my 60L warm is just sit it on a pallet, so it's off the ground and wrap it up in a couple of blankets. The heat produced from the fermentation keeps it warm enough, although I think I might get a heat mat or a small fish tank heater soon as it's only getting colder! ~x(
Godzilla2456

equipment: T500 Reflux Still + a copper pot still head with leibig

Postby Stoney » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:44 pm

so I was going to buy some belt heaters today but then thought, only go to need them for a few months then I will be wondering how to keep it cooler.
remembered an okd fridge sitting in my paddock junk pile for the last 4 years or so, grabbed it, removed the grass from it, got rid of the ants. plugged it in .. gentle hum, was wiping the freezer out with a wet sponge when the sponge froze to the surface and ripped a layer off.
good old fridges !

made a few measurements and it would fit if the door no longer had shelves, so 2 minutes with the recipricating saw, made a shelf (it had none)

needed warming so stuck my old iron in there, last used for melting carpet glue, pid thermocouple wedged in a hole and set for 90C currently.

it was 13C in there and now its 18 so its getting up.

Stoney

equipment: 55l nixon stone 1 3/8 column, propane + electric
2" pot column

Postby bayshine » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:07 am

That's great stuff stoney, I want to set up a fridge like this for brewing beer in summer :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby choppy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:11 am

I've spent most of my life making beer and only a little bit making spirits.

What I have learnt with spirits is that cleanliness is not critical, but temperature control is. You can add me to the list of aquarium heater users. I have a 50W for the 30L fermenter and a 100W for the 60L.

When it comes to beer sanitation is a must, also, most beer yeast love it cold. I have a supplementary thermostat on my bar fridge, I ferment my beer at varying temps depending on the yeast. I mostly use Safale 05 at 17.5 degrees. When the brew is done I rack it into a cube and turn the fridge down to 4 degrees. It is then transferred to the keg, gassed overnight and drank.
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Next

Return to Electrical Hardware