Switching between elements

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Switching between elements

Postby Modernity » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:26 pm

does anyone know of a controller that's lets you run two or three elements while switching a single phase supply between them on a continual bases.
This idea was offered to me sometime ago as a way of increasing the available heating surface area in a pot still.
So that each element may receive 1/3 of a second on 2/3's of a second off, one is on while the other two elements are powered. x_x x_x x_x
Modernity

equipment: I am currently refurbishing a 150 ltr mush tun.
Currently building a 150 ltr oil heated pot still, with 8" copper column.

Re: Switching between elements

Postby 1 2many » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:45 pm

Mate I think you maybe starting to over complicate things, I don't see the need. :-B

Keep it simple then there is less to go wrong. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:52 pm

:text-+1:
with the amount of current and turbulence in the boiler i dont think and increase in surface area would generate any change in the run
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby scythe » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:01 pm

Interesting idea.
Must be a large pot where 3 elements are needed to evenly heat the boiler.

It would be possible, although the principle is similar the execution will undoubtedly be different, I remember building an LED roulette wheel when i was doing school electronics, the kit was from Jaycar IIRC.
no doubt a google search will sort you out.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby 1 2many » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:12 pm

scythe wrote:Interesting idea.
Must be a large pot where 3 elements are needed to evenly heat the boiler.

It would be possible, although the principle is similar the execution will undoubtedly be different, I remember building an LED roulette wheel when i was doing school electronics, the kit was from Jaycar IIRC.
no doubt a google search will sort you out.

Two completely different things shifting 3v dc at 20 mA is a little different to trying to switch 3 elements 240v ac 10 amps
on a single phase line. All you need is a PWM controller that switches a lot faster than Op wanted and does the job. ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby MacStill » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:13 pm

For a large boiler commercial operation running electric I recommend each element run through it's own breaker, with a voltage controller on one element.

Once up to temp you simply switch off the element/s that aren't required and adjust things on the controlled element.... too easy.

If you run all your elements through the same breaker and one blows it turns into a bad day, with large wash volumes you want to be able to keep running instead of having to drain to replace an element to get going again.

Hope that makes sense, maybe a sparky could chime in and explain it better.

Cheers,

Mac.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby OzKev » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Modernity wrote:does anyone know of a controller that's lets you run two or three elements while switching a single phase supply between them on a continual bases.
This idea was offered to me sometime ago as a way of increasing the available heating surface area in a pot still.
So that each element may receive 1/3 of a second on 2/3's of a second off, one is on while the other two elements are powered. x_x x_x x_x

I assume you are trying to achieve a lower watt density? If so, run 4 elements in parallel series, and you will have 4 elements running at the total power of 1. Your sparky can probably explain it better.

But realistically, if you need to do that, then you have the wrong elements to start with.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby res » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:47 pm

I like the idea of running my two elements at reduced power rather then one at full and the other low or off. I have just one controller and use separate circuits for each element. Eventually I'd like to build a second controller to achieve this end. Maybe you could do the same. :think:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:51 pm

OzKev wrote:I assume you are trying to achieve a lower watt density? If so, run 4 elements in parallel series, and you will have 4 elements running at the total power of 1. Your sparky can probably explain it better.

But realistically, if you need to do that, then you have the wrong elements to start with.

it been a while but i thought if they are parallel they will be drawing the max voltage across all of them, where as a series circuit the voltage would be divided evenly between them all.
Andy

Postby OzKev » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:59 pm

2400w / 2 * 2 = 2400w
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby Modernity » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:59 am

Issue #1
My 150+ ltr pot is a converted jacketed steam kettle. See
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=stea ... 24&bih=668

Issue #2
My current power supply is domestic single phase

So given the jacket on the pot, it's a bridge to far to direct heat. I have been thinking to circulate oil heated in a rims style heat exchanger setup.

I'm tiring to keep gas out the equation if possible due to the confined space.
Modernity

Postby Triangle » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:26 pm

Andy wrote:
OzKev wrote:I assume you are trying to achieve a lower watt density? If so, run 4 elements in parallel series, and you will have 4 elements running at the total power of 1. Your sparky can probably explain it better.

it been a while but i thought if they are parallel they will be drawing the max voltage across all of them, where as a series circuit the voltage would be divided evenly between them all.

Hi mate,

OzKev means a series parallel circuit that looks like this;

There's 2 resistors in parallel at the top and the same at the bottom and then both in series with eachother. The resistors in parallel are 1/2 the resistance (R1XR2/R1+R2), then add the 2 halves together to end up with the original resistance as 1 element.

You could also wire them in a square if you could imagine the layout, which would be 3 in series with the 1 parallel. Total R will be 75% of the 1 element and current draw will be a little more.
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby Andy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:44 pm

cheers TGS!
Andy

Postby 1 2many » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:57 pm

Modernity wrote:Issue #1
My 150+ ltr pot is a converted jacketed steam kettle. See
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=stea ... 24&bih=668

Issue #2
My current power supply is domestic single phase

So given the jacket on the pot, it's a bridge to far to direct heat. I have been thinking to circulate oil heated in a rims style heat exchanger setup.

I'm tiring to keep gas out the equation if possible due to the confined space.

Sounds like you are in a bit of a pickle with power, :think:

So do you have element ports on the boiler?

Or are you planning to just use heated oil to heat the boiler? :scared-eek:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Modernity » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:59 pm

The boiler I have For the heat exchanger is a ex commercial espresso machine boiler holding about 10ltrs. I can set it up to hold 3-4 elements if need be. It has an internal water level sensor and numerous ports.
I want it to heat oil and then pump the hot oil to the jacketed pot still and back to a recirculating header tank so there would be no pressure in the system.

Someone and I can't remember who told me that it is possible to switch a single phase between a number of elements without increasing the current draw, but increasing the heating efficiency due to the increased surface area available.
Modernity

Postby 1 2many » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:12 pm

Modernity wrote:Someone and I can't remember who told me that it is possible to switch a single phase between a number of elements without increasing the current draw,

Yes it is possible, with a purpose built controller.

but increasing the heating efficiency due to the increased surface area available.

I feel you are chasing efficiency way too far, it will depend on the whole setup.

Basically you can't get out more than you put in.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Triangle » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:21 pm

I did a bit of sketching of various circuit diagrams to try and do this with contactors and timers but it works out reasonably expensive, something like an Omron Zen V2 would do the trick but still need output contactors.

What wattage elements are you running/planning on running?
Triangle

Postby 1 2many » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:34 pm

Ok so have one standard 240 volt 10 amp power outlet .

You want to heat oil so you can heat your 150ltr boiler , pump heated oil, then you will need a pump for your condensers maybe some lighting.

Good luck :))
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Triangle » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:09 pm

I'm with 1 2many, heat exchanger is a massive power loss not to mention plumbing, hot oil etc.

Your 'get out of jail free' answer, while not ideal would be a power board with 3 digital timers mounted on it. Set all 3 times to the exact second. Set timer on and off periods on each timer for each heater, with the aim that you don't have an overlap. Even a quality timer rated at 10A contacts is only going to last a finite amount of time.
Triangle

Postby phonetic » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:03 pm

3 phase power, 150 litre pot 3 x 3,6kW elements :scared-eek: :shock: :o
phonetic

equipment: DIY reflux still 900 mm column height, 15 litre wash, 2400w electric heating element, digital temp control.

Next

Return to Electrical Hardware