WARNING: Generic Digital Thermostat Temp Contro

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

WARNING: Generic Digital Thermostat Temp Contro

Postby thedarkmesh » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:25 pm

Hey All,
So I was looking at buying a 2nd one of these from a local HBS, and it turns out they had to pull the stock due to receiving a notice from VIC Engergy Safety. It might just be a regulation thing, and not a "this item has burned down X home, take it off the shelf" type thing. So who knows!

I have had mine working for 3 weeks without issues, and they are sold around the world (eBay/Amazon). Has anyone had any issues with them?
It has also thrown into question if I want to buy from the shop, as he gave me the "Pay a extra $40 postage and I'll throw it in for free" bit.

Hi thedarkmesh,
Thank you for your inquiry!
The dimension for 60L is 40cm in diameter, and 70cm height including the height of air lock. But there's 2 handle, so the widest dimension could go up to 48cm.

As for the temperature controller, as I received an notice from VIC Engergy Safety that I can not sell this controller without a test, so I can not sell to you officially. But if you pay your order with extra $40 postage for your order, then I can give you one free.

Hope you can understand.

thedarkmesh

equipment: Turbo Boiler + 5 Star 4" Modular Still

Re: WARNING: Generic Digital Thermostat Temp Contro

Postby Geeps » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:53 pm

thedarkmesh wrote:Hey All,
So I was looking at buying a 2nd one of these from a local HBS, and it turns out they had to pull the stock due to receiving a notice from VIC Engergy Safety. It might just be a regulation thing, and not a "this item has burned down X home, take it off the shelf" type thing. So who knows!

I have had mine working for 3 weeks without issues, and they are sold around the world (eBay/Amazon). Has anyone had any issues with them?
It has also thrown into question if I want to buy from the shop, as he gave me the "Pay a extra $40 postage and I'll throw it in for free" bit.

Hi thedarkmesh,
Thank you for your inquiry!
The dimension for 60L is 40cm in diameter, and 70cm height including the height of air lock. But there's 2 handle, so the widest dimension could go up to 48cm.

As for the temperature controller, as I received an notice from VIC Engergy Safety that I can not sell this controller without a test, so I can not sell to you officially. But if you pay your order with extra $40 postage for your order, then I can give you one free.

Hope you can understand.

Sounds as if this guy doesn't give a shit if it burns down your house anyway just so long as he get's his $40. :roll: :roll:
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:36 pm

my understanding is that for electrical stuff to be sold in Australia there are standards that must be meant, as well as electrical compliance/testing. you cant see stuff for china cheap if you have to pay for the testing.
could always check to see if the item has been removed for a specific safety issue or from lack of testing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby HoochHound » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:58 pm

Look up test and tag in the yellow pages.

You may be able to get it tested and certified as safe.
HoochHound

equipment: T500 - Yep, I'm a newbie! :)

Postby 1 2many » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:08 pm

HoochHound wrote:Look up test and tag in the yellow pages.

You may be able to get it tested and certified as safe.

I bet not... ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Fishboy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:07 pm

Ahhhh nope.. Test and tag service provider is only goi g to be abLe to insulation test the equipment.
That may tell you that it is currently "safe" to use, but it won't tell you that the unit is t going to burst into flames in two weeks time and take your shed with it.

The testing required to get electricals approved for sale is a lot more Intensive than what a test and tagger can do.

I know, I'm a "competent person" under the current certification structure.

I can tell you that based on my experience e with getting certified, there are a LOT of " competent persons" out ther who are anything but...
(I do hold higher certs but I am not a sparky)

If you are goi g to take one for free.. Nudge nudge wink wink, I would put it somewhere where if it does fail catastrophicallyit is it going to be near flammable materials.
Fishboy

equipment: nothing any more :(
Sadly found I don't have the time or patience to do this justice.

Oh well... Next Hobby !! :D

Return to Electrical Hardware