Cheap simple Voltage Controller.

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Re: Cheap simple Voltage Controller.

Postby haze » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:32 pm

yeh i was measuring the pot while it was in the circuit :oops:
Disconnected it and it reads on my multimeter to spec. Its output is very linear so guess that means i got the right one.

So now trying the resistors - have 500k of resistors. Output voltage is showing 202 volts. (input from gpo is 239v)

If i leave pins 3 and 4 open with no resistor i still get 194 volts. Isnt that a bit weird?

appreciate the help.

EDIT - oh its grounded properly. unless the grounding to my shed is non existent.
haze

equipment: 3" boka SS, 50lt keg, copper scrubbers,insulated column, 1/4" takeoff, 2 x 2200w elements with heat controller

Postby Panda » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:35 am

Have u tried it under load?
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby Brigand » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Brigand wrote:Will report back when I have used it on a full run

Had a dencent play with the 3800W controller on the weekend and it worked really well

I couldn't detect any heat at all being thrown off the unit through the heat sink

I had it dialled in between 5 - 7 amps during the test run I had on the go

Cheers
Brigand

equipment: 4" SS 6 Plate Bubbler
2" VM 1500mm Packed
2" Pot 500mm
5L Copper Alembic

Postby haze » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Panda wrote:Have u tried it under load?

oooh good point. will report back! i tried it under load earlier in my troubleshooting but not this time
haze

equipment: 3" boka SS, 50lt keg, copper scrubbers,insulated column, 1/4" takeoff, 2 x 2200w elements with heat controller

Postby punchy21 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:13 pm

haze wrote:yeh i was measuring the pot while it was in the circuit :oops:
Disconnected it and it reads on my multimeter to spec. Its output is very linear so guess that means i got the right one.

So now trying the resistors - have 500k of resistors. Output voltage is showing 202 volts. (input from gpo is 239v)

If i leave pins 3 and 4 open with no resistor i still get 194 volts. Isnt that a bit weird?

appreciate the help.

EDIT - oh its grounded properly. unless the grounding to my shed is non existent.

Any pics so we can see how it is wired?
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby haze » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:25 pm

Nice one panda. under load using my pot it went to 140volts.

Using resistors at 510kohm its at 50volts.

So i need a pot with more resistance. I bought a 470kohm pot and the ssr wants a 500kohm but i didnt think it would cause a problem. It looks like now i should get a 550kohm pot or something slightly higher than whats written on the ssr and that should get me closer to 0volts.

Ill post a pic up once once its finished :D
haze

Postby haze » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:30 pm

2012-07-24 21.29.48 (Custom).jpg

2 IEC connectors, one power in one out.
voltmeter
pot

Crammed in a small box. SSR is screwed and pasted to one of the sides so the theory is that it will conduct all its heat to the metal case and outside with the heatsink there for extra help. Or so i hope. cos theres no ventilation unless i have to
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haze

Postby Panda » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:39 pm

OH your guaging this off an ebay digital volt meter?

first up, fuck that off and test your voltages with a hand held volt meter or analoug volt meter to make sure its not the guage you are using and report back.
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby haze » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:31 am

nah im using multimeter too. im dont trust either but they both read the same

I was happy with results though?? getting down to 50v with 510kohm resistor. I thought this was fine. maybe you missed my post before the pic. I was just going to source another pot around 550kohm
haze

Postby haze » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:53 am

I think its good but Ill ask my sparky again to have a look at this. cheers for the help people.
haze

Postby Antamo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi Guys,
I am new to AussieDistiller. Really awesome site and the information within the posts has kept me reading for hours.

What brought me to this site.... Long story short... I was distilling in my shed. I left my gas burner still running unattended for a little too long and the 2L glass bottle used to capture the the hearts overflowed and caught fire. I got back just in time. The 2L bottle broke from the heat and the small fire went to a 5 foot high and 6 foot wide inferno. :violence-stickwhack: Fortunate for me, I got it under control by using the fire extinguisher at hand (placed there on a previous day when my brain was working). I felt bloody stupid afterwards and have decided to at least learn from it.

One of the changes I want to make is switch to electric heating. The voltage controller design is awesome and I will most likely stick to that plan.

I was also thinking of trying to control the heating via the temp at the top of the column using the below equipment. Set the PID Set point value to ~69C and lett it heat as required to keep the top of the column at that temp. Your thoughts would be appreciated?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-240V-Dig ... 27c93473f5
Antamo

equipment: 2" 3' column mounted on Keg.

Postby crozdog » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Antamo wrote:Hi Guys,
I am new to AussieDistiller. Really awesome site and the information within the posts has kept me reading for hours.

What brought me to this site.... Long story short... I was distilling in my shed. I left my gas burner still running unattended for a little too long and the 2L glass bottle used to capture the the hearts overflowed and caught fire. I got back just in time. The 2L bottle broke from the heat and the small fire went to a 5 foot high and 6 foot wide inferno. :violence-stickwhack: Fortunate for me, I got it under control by using the fire extinguisher at hand (placed there on a previous day when my brain was working). I felt bloody stupid afterwards and have decided to at least learn from it.

One of the changes I want to make is switch to electric heating. The voltage controller design is awesome and I will most likely stick to that plan.

I was also thinking of trying to control the heating via the temp at the top of the column using the below equipment. Set the PID Set point value to ~69C and lett it heat as required to keep the top of the column at that temp. Your thoughts would be appreciated?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-240V-Dig ... 27c93473f5

damn lucky you got there in time!

why 69*C?? Ethanol is about 10 degrees higher than that.

one issue with using a PID is the content in the boiler is not at a steady state. The ratio of ethanol : water changes through the run. simple on/off might work - I can't comment if it'll yet but its on my list to try. you will need to set a very small offset so you don't get wild swings above & below your set point.

that evil bay deal looks pretty good for the price.
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Postby grehund » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi Guys,

Here are some pics of my finished Voltage Controller. I decided to use IEC connectors, rather then GPOs. I also placed the connectors at either end of the box, so it sits more in-line with the power cabling. Thanks again to Panda for the great info. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grehund

equipment: 4-plate 4" Bubble Cap
50L Keg Boiler, 2x 2.2kW Elements (1x Voltage Controller)
STC-1000 Temp Controlled Fermentation Fridge

Postby Antamo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:02 pm

crozdog wrote:
why 69*C?? Ethanol is about 10 degrees higher than that.

one issue with using a PID is the content in the boiler is not at a steady state. The ratio of ethanol : water changes through the run. simple on/off might work - I can't comment if it'll yet but its on my list to try. you will need to set a very small offset so you don't get wild swings above & below your set point.

that evil bay deal looks pretty good for the price.

Sorry typo **~79C**

I would set the tolerances quite low, say +/-0.2C. The change in water / ethanol mix would be accounted for through this method.

I have a spare AC fan lying around. Purchased a good quality 2nd hand ammo box today, just like the one in the pics above.

I might give the PID set-up a try. I have worked with them before for other applications with good control. For that price it won't be an epic fail if it doesn't work. Will let you all know.
Antamo

Postby Antamo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:24 am

Guys, is it possible to run a PWM or the PSR setup in the same loop as a PID controller?
Antamo

Postby Brigand » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:35 am

Hi Fellas

I was asked to put up a wiring diagram for the 3800W Power Regulator with an Ammeter and a Voltmeter

I provide no warranties / guarantees with this diagram - use at your own risk

Pictures of my enclosure are here

I have used this regulator a few times now and have not had any issues. It doesn't even seem to warm very much even after a long run

Cheers

Edit: I used a 10A Ammeter and a 240v Voltmeter as I'm controlling 2200W element (You could run 15A through these regulators but you would need to spec the meters and wiring accordingly)

3800W Wiring Diagram.jpg
Brigand

2" VM 1500mm Packed
2" Pot 500mm
5L Copper Alembic

Postby eminiM » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 am

Brigand wrote:(You could run 15A through these regulators but you would need to spec the meters and wiring accordingly)

3800W Wiring Diagram.jpg

I actually hooked that regulator to a 4.5KW element without issues. I didn't find the control very linear however so I abandoned it but I did do at least a couple of runs.
eminiM

equipment: VM all the way!

Postby Brigand » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:08 am

Hi Minime

When you say not linear are you talking about V * A = W relationship or the mechanics of the controller?

I have found it more than adequate for what I'm doing

I basically dial in an amperage (say 5.5 amps) and know that with 1 unregulated 2200W element + the other dialled it at 5.5 I will be at ~3000W give or take 100W (or maybe more)

I'm not concerned with accuracy but rather repeatability

Cheers
Brigand

2" VM 1500mm Packed
2" Pot 500mm
5L Copper Alembic

Postby eminiM » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:54 am

Repeatability was pretty good but I found the large element caused it jump in increments rather than a smooth dial up of power. Turn the knob 1/8 turn and nothing changes another slight nudge and it jumps up 20 volts. Likely better behaved with a smaller element I suspect. I knew I was pushing the boundary but wanted to know how it would perform. You just can't beat the price of those controllers :shock:
eminiM

equipment: VM all the way!

Postby bennybackyard » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:28 pm

According to the diagram the box or container appears to need earthing..
In your humble opinion ... Can a plastic box be used, or would using one make this less safe? :think:
bennybackyard

equipment: 3" SS VM, 3"SS Pot - 50lt Electric Keg

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Hardware